• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few Questions popped in my head about Raid 0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onkyo

Registered
Please Help !!

ok here is the deal, my buddy long time ago told me raid 0 is fast and awesome i came to find out that was true but he also told me that to make it faster i should use 16k stripe and a 16k cluster on all partitions on my hard drives including the c drive, now he also tells me that i should install windows only on my c drive and only have like 15 - 20 gigs or so only for my windows OS and for programs that can only be installed on the main drive to make it faster. is this true ? or could i create like one big partition on my c: drive and install programs and games and so forth and then another partition for media such as music pictures movies etc.? please help if this is confusing im sry i tryed my best to explain lol.

Last edited:
I use a 16K stripe with the default 4k cluster. A 16k cluster MAY be faster, but it will waste space. Any file LESS THAN 16k will use 16k... a 17k file will use 32k, a 33k file will use 48k and so on. I use one partition with my raid array, OS and all program files are there, storage is on 2 seperate drives and I do nightly backups.

so if i did a smaller stripe and smaller cluster will it be faster or not ? or better i mean?

I had BIG corruption problems with 16kstripe (that is in Raid0) and 4k cluster (this is in Windows).I got into the manual configuration of the Raid and set the stripe to 4k,like Windows does by default.Everything runs smoothly now.
Oo!!DON'T FORGET THIS: SET THE P2P DISCHARGE (in bios) TO 1ms,before beginning anything.
THIS IS A MUST!!!

I agree with your friend. I have a raid 0 with a 25 "Primary" paritition for programs and such and then I have then rest (135 gig) for storage. Having the primary with a smaller partition does make things quicker. Less hdd to access when pulling up programs and of course defragging a 25gig partition compared to a 160gig is significantly reduced.

A smaller partition forces the swap file out towards the outer diameter of the disk where the access times are faster because the head is generally alread in the area. Also the highest transfer rates are in the outer diameter.

i also came to the conclusion of higher rates on the outside.

Later into the same thought, i decided that the heads would read and write at the same rate no matter where on the disk, making the bits on the outside tracks elongated.

And then i heard that a drive formats backwards from logic, track0 being the outermost. That just completely set me off and i stopped thinking about it.

Back