• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

few questions regarding my overclocking limits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m0de

hi guys im new to the forums, and have a couple questions for you. im currently running an amd phenom II x6 black edition 1090t. its cooled by the corsair h100 series. i feel like my overclock could be higher, but im not too sure how to tweak it to get it stable. i have a somewhat decent knowledge (i suppose) of how over clocking works. basically my processor is currently running at 4.2ghz with a 1.54 vcore. which seems ridiculously high to set the vcore at that voltage first of all.. but its stable. the thing that confuses me the most is tweaking the ram to go along with overclocking the cpu.. im lost. so pretty much i would like to push this cpu as far as it can go with the cooling i have. i do have another question that somewhat relates to this thread, but i will add to that below.

so to sum it up id greatly appreciate some advice on how i can push this cpu to overclock to its capability. heres a list of my build to help get an idea:

cpu: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
psu:Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W
gpu: ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi)
ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

my main problem with overclocking this further is stability. i just cant get it stable with a clock anything above 4.2.ghz.

that aside, would i be bottlenecking my gpu with a higher clock? or vice versa assuming that even at this clock im already bottlenecking my gpu?

any help is greatly appreciated and i look forward to hearing from you guys! thanks so much!

edit: forgot temps

idle = 27 cpu, 31 gpu
full load = 45 cpu, around 52ish gpu

Last edited:
Please install CPU-z and attach pics of these three tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". That will give us a lot of info about your system and bios settings.

To attach pics:
1. Use Windows Accessories "Snipping Tool" to crop the images and save them to disk.
2. Click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced Post window. That will cause the file browser/uploader window to appear and the rest is obvious.

Lower your HT Link from 2612 mhz to 2200 mhz.

Set your CPUNB voltage to 1.225 and make sure you do not have LLC enabled for the CPUNB if it has a separate LLC adjustment for the CPUNB.

Increase your memory voltatge from 1.5 to 1.55.

Back