• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,

I have a 128GB SSD....just taking a look at two files on the c drive. Both are named Windows ....should I really have two folders named windows....

1. Windows
2. Windows.old

Together they amount to,.......well take a look at the snapshot. What say you?

If required deleting would free quite a bit of room for me on the SSD, if so how do I get around allowing SYSTEM permission to delete this file? I am the sole admin on this personal machine no other user accounts?

Windows 7 Pro

Regards,

Berne

Attachments

• TWO WINDOWS FOLDERS.png
    TWO WINDOWS FOLDERS.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 69
Not sure what Windows.old is for, I don't have one, but normally Windows folder is about 20-30GB, mine is 23GB.

Windows.old is created when you upgrade from a different version of Windows. It's basically a copy of all your old Windows files and settings, in case you didn't get something backed up. If you're absolutely certain you have everything that you need from your previous install, you can blow away the Windows.old folder.

To free up a considerable amount of disk space, including removing Windows.old folder:

• Windows 8: Hover mouse over top right corner > Search icon > click on Settings > type this in the search box:
clean > Click on Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files > Select the system drive > OK > Click on Clean up system files button > Select the system drive > OK > CHECK: Previous Windows installation(s) and scroll down and CHECK: Temporary Windows installation files > OK > Delete Files

• Windows 7: Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click on Disk Cleanup.

If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click on OK.

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click on Clean up system files.

If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click on the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click on OK.

Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click on OK.

In the message that appears, click Delete Files.

Windows.old is created when you upgrade from a different version of Windows. It's basically a copy of all your old Windows files and settings, in case you didn't get something backed up. If you're absolutely certain you have everything that you need from your previous install, you can blow away the Windows.old folder.

This is the correct answer. It's a backup of your old Windows folder when you upgrade versions. I would suggest you check the Windows.old Documents folders and such, make sure you have everything out of it, and then delete it.

Permission

Hi,

As per origninal post....now that I want to delete the .old folder how do I gain permission....as Im getting the popup attached....

Again Im the sole admin on my own machine , no other user accounts.

Berne

Attachments

• Permission.png
    Permission.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 54
Right Click Computer -> Manage -> Local Users and Groups -> Users
Right Click Administrator -> Set Password
Create the administrator account password.
Reboot in Safe Mode (F8) and log in as administrator
Try to delete Windows.old

Berne, you should look at post #4 of this thread. Directly deleting it is *not* the way to go.

Hi,

As per origninal post....now that I want to delete the .old folder how do I gain permission....

Do this:

To free up a considerable amount of disk space, including removing Windows.old folder:

• Windows 8: Hover mouse over top right corner > Search icon > click on Settings > type this in the search box:
clean > Click on Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files > Select the system drive > OK > Click on Clean up system files button > Select the system drive > OK > CHECK: Previous Windows installation(s) and scroll down and CHECK: Temporary Windows installation files > OK > Delete Files

• Windows 7: Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click on Disk Cleanup.

If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click on OK.

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click on Clean up system files.

If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click on the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click on OK.

Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click on OK.

In the message that appears, click Delete Files.

Need Further

Hi,

Ive followed all posts advice, plus some DOS command options ( getting ACCESS IS DENIED ) .

Lets start again...The disk cleaner option does not work. The DOS command options are trying to delete the whole folder contents but all lines of exec are getting the Access is denied option.

This is leading my infant experience to sway towards the ADMIN status I have on my machine.

Update I do have an additional user on my machine.

To be best poised to try again what steps must I ensure are in place before moving any further?

Berne:-/

Disk Cleanup is what should work, there are other ways we can try but what exactly happens when you try the Disk Cleanup?

In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, do you see Clean up system files as an option?

Try running these two commands from an administrative command prompt (right click cmd.exe--> Run as administrator), in order to reset ownership of the Windows.old directory...

Code:
takeown /f "C:\Windows.old" /r

cacls "C:\Windows.old" /T /G administrator:F

... then again try deleting the folder via Disk Cleanup.

Lets Stay With It

Ok ,

I appreciate all contributions thank you all, BUT , lets take one at a time and tire that avenue out then we can go to the next offering.

So now we are going with the adamant advisories of " redduc900 "....so when I ran your command the files flew by in the dos window....but the end result I dont understand so Ive tried to attach for your attention.....also Ive put the contents of the Advance user menu in case there is some errors Ive unknowingly allowed....

Berne

Attachments

• FIRST TRY.png
    FIRST TRY.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 34
  • SECURITY CONTENTS.png
    SECURITY CONTENTS.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 37
On your second screenshot, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab. If the Owner tab is somebody else other than "Climate-PC\xxxxxx", then you can click edit and assign the owner manually to you.

Hi,

Just recalled that some months back I crashed the pc and reinstalled w7....so thats where the .old came from....just also decided to format the SSD , well its a clean slate to work with then.

Many thanks,

Berne

Back