• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Filters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I have an Antec 1200 which I have removed the big 200mm fan. I had to so I could fit a rad on the back. This rad sucks a lot of air through that big hole right above it. Right now I have it covered with cheesecloth, not the most pleasing to the eye. I've looked at the magnetic ones but they seem to come in frames.
What I'm looking for is something I can put over the raised 200mm grille on the top of the case,
So ideas on a filtering material that'll look better than the cheesecloth would be great. Within the next 6 months I'll be putting the case back to the original set-up so it's not going to be permanent.
Thanks Johan

Black nylons?
I use my vacuum cleaner and narrow nozzle attachment to clean my fan grills and heatsinks. Don't touch pcbs with it, it can build up static.
Air compressors are wonderful for cleaning, just be careful of fans.

Window screen is cheap and doesn't restrict much. And it stops a surprising amount of dust.

You can also try air conditioning filters.

A $60 air compressor. Clean it out when needed, don't restrict air flow.

That's just it< I cleaned it on the weekend and wasn't Happy with the amount of cat hair that was stuck in the rad. I had only been a couple months since the last cleaning. That's why I chose the cheese cloth. I thought it would stop the fur without restricting the flow too much.

Do you really think I'd be further ahead with out it and just cleaning more often?

They look good but My problem is they'd only cover the top leaving the sides of the grille exposed.

Doubt that , the wife wouldn't even let me shave it! Ha ha

I fell your pain buddy, I have 2, both 16 years old 1 has really long hair which I find everywhere.

You're lucky they're 16. I still have 15 yrs to go!

I have the Antec 1200 as well (well wifes machine) and I removed the filters from the front of it.

We have cats also and live in a VERY dusty area, the filters where just getting clogged up to fast and it wasn't worth it. The filters are a pain to take out that are in the front anyway and I use a compressor to clean mine out when they need it. I have a D-14 cooler on hers as well so having to clean both parts of it is a bit tricky but I get it taken care of.

Between Wifes/Sons and my system I just take them outside one at a time every couple months and clean them out. Takes a hour to unhook/clean/re-hook them all up. If you do go the compressor route though turn the pressure down when using the blow down gun to clean them out.

Is your computer on the floor? If you can lift it off the carpet onto a desk or even putting a mat underneath it may help.

Nothing wrong with filtration, No reason go super super fine mesh most of the time, as the microdusts and grime that tend to really be cooling killer still make it through most of them. Personally I prefer to use a mix of two options. Turbulent air filtration, and mesh for finer filtration. Turbulent air filtration in most situations is a combination of sucking air through a series of holes causing it to swirl around, then a gap of space with a chance for the pressure to drop some and throw the large chunks and hair around in the space, till it generally settles at the bottom. Lian li uses similar techniques in a large portion of their cases designs these days. You can then use a mesh filter as its last filtration step.

Keep in mind that generally when adding filtration to a setup cheapy Low pressure fans do not behave to well. Generally you want to look at using something more server grade. Since they generally support much higher pressure levels, even at low speeds. Then just hook them through a fan controller so you can keep the volume tolerable.

Just my 2c on the topic.

First, vacuum your filters . . . and the cat, while you're at it.

Then blow out the dust with an ED500 (use camelcamelcamel.com to watch for sales) and blow the dust out. Make sure you blow in the reverse direction from normal airflow.

Then you'll have the cat's meow.

Back