• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally completed! Installed Vantec cooler to backside GF4(PICS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

equalizr

well i went ahead with using the 3m thermal tape and installing the Vantec VGA cooler on the back of my Abit Ti4400. I cut out an aluminum spacer and placed it down. then i got the smallest plastic screws i could find and pushed them into the provided holes(which lined up perfectly with the vantec) and the threads kept the screw in tight. then i cut the head of the screw off. then applied some radio shack compound to the spacer and placed the VGA cooler on and tightened er down. fits like a charm and allowed me to go from 315/715 to 325/715. here are some pics of it. The cardboard thing is my duct :)
completefinal.jpg

Looks good! I've got a spare fan about that same size I'm thinking of doing something similar with. Even with the cool jag on the "front", the back of the card still gets hot as hell

slipknot said:
I think that is were he 3m thermal tape came into play

:) The vantec VGA cooler came with 2 other smaller heatsinks...so 3 peices of 3m thermal tape were available.

i just cut out a tiny square, placed it down right in the middle then the aluminum spacer (spacer is about 1mm away from each side) put some paste on the spacer then used the mounting holes on the GF4 using nylon screws (screws had to be forced through the holes cause there are no threads on the holes) and bolted em down..nice tight fit:beer:

Been thinking about doing this to my Radeon 8500. It gets DAMN hot on the back of the card. Just a question: How'd you get the aluminium spacer to be absolutely flat? Cutting something small and keeping it flat is no easy task!

That's a great idea!

I might have to try that with some spare heatsinks I have laying around.

I never thought of that.

I remeber seeing an article a month ago or so were some guy hooked up a fan (either 40 or 50mm), to the back of his card to help remove the hot air. He used plastic motherboard standoffs in the holes. I think he got a pretty substantial temperture decrease. If I find the aritcle, I'll post a link.

Nice job. How does that cardboard duct work on the fs of the card? Is it cooling by blowing air on it or taking heat away and blowing it out the back of the case?

proze said:
Been thinking about doing this to my Radeon 8500. It gets DAMN hot on the back of the card. Just a question: How'd you get the aluminium spacer to be absolutely flat? Cutting something small and keeping it flat is no easy task!

i used tin snips to cut out the tiny square then took a hammer to it..:)

and as for the duct, the fan that you see diagonaly between the sound card and video card pushes the hot air out and ive taken the 2 pci pannels out to exhaust the air. The bottom case fan is ducted to that fan and i modified the 2 bottom 5 1/4 bays to hold an 80mm panaflo with a Rheobus, and that is ducted towards the memory and cpu..i have more pics if you like

Ah, I see. Where's the aluminium from then? I used copper to make a shim for a HSF on the clock-gen on an old A7V, but that was a royal pain in the butt.

my friend is a mettal worker....i have sheets of it at home of different thickness.

im gunna ask him to bring home a sheet of copper for me too :)

Back