• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finished my First custom loop build but high GPU Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Siamak8286

Registered
Hello guys, as title suggests I have finished my first custom liquid build and my hardware consist:
i7 6700K @4.2Ghz
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
G.Skill Trident Z
MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
EVGA Supernova 1000w P2
3x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB

My Custom Liquid parts
EK Supremacy Evo
EK Xres 140 with D5 Vario pump
EK GTX 980 Ti Waterblock for MSI Gaming 6G
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Rad

Now onto my real issue, my CPU Temps are very satisfying staying bellow 50c all the time but my GTX 980 Ti when playing Witcher 3 or Black Ops 3 reaches around 63c, If I leave the case side panel open it goes down to around 58-59c, are these temps normal Or do I have to take the whole thing apart and re-mount the GPU Block? I have also spent the last 3 days bleeding and getting the air out of the loop. I did use the dot method when I was applying the Tim on my GPU and put a tiny amount right in the middle of my GPU.

I would be hesitant to run all of that equipment on just one 360 radiator. I would try running something like Intel burn test along side of Heaven benchmark to get a true reading on what you CPU and GPU temps are. You are probably seeing the temperature disparity between the cpu and gpu when gaming due to the cpu not being under a heavy load where as the gpu is fully loaded. By running the above combination side by side it will give you a better idea of what your true fully loaded system temps are.

Last edited:
Not enough radiator, also sounds like poor case airflow.

Your temps are fine.

If I leave the case side panel open it goes down to around 58-59c
This generally means you need better case air flow, just as stated by my blue friend above.

GUYS UPDATE

So I just took the whole system apart, remounted the waterblock along with new TIM application and put water in, haven't done bleeding at all and I can hear a lot of air bubbles in the system, been running Witcher 3 for past 50min and my temp is not going above 48c so far.
before by this time Temperture would be at 63-66c for sure and that was after 3 days of bleeding and purging.

what do you guys think? is this it?

also all fans are at around 40% or so.

Sounds like that was a big part if it.

To me a single 360 still isn't enough radiator, but if you're happy with the temps then it's fine.

Sounds like that was a big part if it.

To me a single 360 still isn't enough radiator, but if you're happy with the temps then it's fine.

I was under the impression that you only need 120mm rad space for each part in your system plus extra 120mm so since I only have CPU and 1 GPU 360mm would be enough? if thats not the case next time I wanna rebuild I'll have to move everything to my Corsair 750D which is siting in my closet and get another 240 or 360mm rad for front and rebuild everything. but so far I'm very happy with my results as its much better temp than stock air cooling and stay quite too.

I was under the impression that you only need 120mm rad space for each part in your system plus extra 120mm so since I only have CPU and 1 GPU 360mm would be enough? if thats not the case next time I wanna rebuild I'll have to move everything to my Corsair 750D which is siting in my closet and get another 240 or 360mm rad for front and rebuild everything. but so far I'm very happy with my results as its much better temp than stock air cooling and stay quite too.

To keep the system both quiet AND cool we typically recommend 2.120 per chip plus one.
Adding in a 240mm rad would be perfect for you.

Again though if you're happy with the temps and noise levels for long gaming sessions, etc, then there's no NEED to add it in.
Once you overclock pretty far you might find the temps slipping to where you aren't as happy.

A better rule of thumb is 1 120 rad for each 100w of cooling needed. ;)

Next time in few months I plan on moving everything to my Corsair 750D since in that case I can actually fit a much much more Thicker Radiator as well as add a 2nd 240mm Thick Radiator in front of that case no problem and I won't have airflow issues.

I love the look of this Phantek case but I think it's not designed or meant for what I'm trying to achieve.

A better rule of thumb is 1 120 rad for each 100w of cooling needed. ;)

If you assume a decent overclock on both the CPU bad GPU that would put him at 4.120.
That's definitely a good rule, but I tend to size WC loops for ultimate silence.

With the different rules of thumbs out there, I also like to prepare for the future. What if you come across that "great" deal on a second GTX 980? IMHO, having more radiator than necessary is better than having less, within reason of course. 120.16 for cooling a CPU would be crazy, but 120.12... maybe :) Just kidding there.

Looks like a Corsair fan, so I believe that its an exhaust fan.

From what can be seen, it does look like its exhaust, which would be one good reason why temps improve so much without the case side on.

If that is the case, i would flip all the fans over, and see how it goes, no real point in getting hot air from inside to cool the rad.

I never understand why people choose to go against airFLOW.

The two front fans are bringing air in, correct? Then things are setup just fine. As you found the difference is only a couple of C so while some improvements can be made, my personal preference is to leave it a couple C warmer to have cooler overall internal case temps. You start dumping that rad heat into the case... that isn't a great idea.

Ok I have 2 140mm corsair fans in front pushing air from outside to inside, then I have 3 Fractal Design fans pushing air from inside through the rads and to the outside of case and I also have 1 more corsair AF140 in the back pushing air from inside to outside of the case.
I also plan on moving everything from this case to my Corsair Obsidian 750D but I need some opinion before I do so.

I also gonna order a set of new Rads for my Corsair 750D:

1. EK-CoolStream XE 360 (Triple)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-coolstream-xe-360-triple.html

2. EK-CoolStream XE 240 (Double)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-coolstream-xe-240-double.html

Will I be able to fit them perfectly in the Corsair Obsidian 750D? put the 360 with fans in push on top and the 240mm in front with fans again in push.??

Edit: What do you guys think of my choice of Rads? is this what I wanna be using for cool silent build?

Ok I have 2 140mm corsair fans in front pushing air from outside to inside, then I have 3 Fractal Design fans pushing air from inside through the rads and to the outside of case and I also have 1 more corsair AF140 in the back pushing air from inside to outside of the case.
This is correct. I wouldn't mess with that flow personally. Just get more rads as you are doing.

Well as far as the radiator choice goes, those are 60mm thick rads with a fpi of 16 so they might be a little restrictive to airflow thus noisy. You might be better served by something like an alphacool xt45 which is a 45 mm thick rad that has an fpi of 10. These will probably be quieter at low fan speeds and perform similar. They also are thinner so may help with space constraints. If you are looking for a thicker rad you could go with the alphacool ut60 which is 60 mm thick as well but has a fpi of 10 so is less restrictive to airflow. I've included some links below.

Xt45
http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-nexxxos-xt45-full-copper-360mm.html

Ut 60
http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-nexxxos-ut60-full-copper-360mm.html

This is correct. I wouldn't mess with that flow personally. Just get more rads as you are doing.

I dont agree. The case has a negativ pressure, being that there are more fans moving air out, than in.

I would still flip the Rad fans, since a positive pressure will push air of the case, then it will still be ventet better. The idea that the hot parts inside will become warmer.. Well i dont know. I have been pulling in air from top and bottom and front, with only one fan rear to remove air, and since this config, i have lost temperature inside my case.

The water will never really get warmer then 35c'ish degrees (at least in my case, but less ras may result in higher temps) but never ever 60c degrees. That means the Rad will still be cooler than the hot components inside the case. So i dont subscribe to you theory, and i think that flipping the rad fans, and sticking the side of the case on again, then running a test, will provide better restults, and flipping 3 fans will take about 3 to 4 mins. As a test is worth doing rather than buying more rad and more fans.

That said, the temps arnt at the moment anything to worry about, since air cooling would be even warmer.

Linus on Positive and negative air pressure:
And yes, i know this is a religion case, but dust inside vs out the case, i know what im picking.

Back