• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finished my First custom loop build but high GPU Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So tired of hearing the dust thing with positive pressure. Whoolteedoo, it prevent dust from coming in the cracks... while some dust can certainly get in that way, with my experiences, there was little difference. Remember fans barely create pressure because a case isn't sealed. In all cases i watercooled iver the last 10 years, my temps went up inside the case when I pumped warm air through a rad in there. I suppose people just need to test it and see for themselves.

Your temps are fine.

This generally means you need better case air flow, just as stated by my blue friend above.

+1

Temps are fine. 15c-20c+ cooler than what he would typically get on air and its quieter. If the OP wants to get better Delta-Temps, he'll need more rad. 120.3 is perfectly fine for only a CPU and GPU loop.

A better rule of thumb is 1 120 rad for each 100w of cooling needed. ;)

+1

I used to use the other rule of thumb but got slapped on the hand for using it by the veterans years ago. After doing some more extensive research on Martin and the likes, its safe to say that 100w per 120mm is spot on only if the right amount of airflow is catered to the radiator. So a slower fan on a 120mm will not dissipate that much on any given day. I'm sure cooler ambient room temps helps though.

So tired of hearing the dust thing with positive pressure. Whoolteedoo, it prevent dust from coming in the cracks... while some dust can certainly get in that way, with my experiences, there was little difference. Remember fans barely create pressure because a case isn't sealed. In all cases i watercooled iver the last 10 years, my temps went up inside the case when I pumped warm air through a rad in there. I suppose people just need to test it and see for themselves.

To be fair, I also agree with Pierre because from my experience I've tried both. My temps always declined when I had all the rads being pumped cool fresh air. It wasn't a substantial change in temps as either airflow is fine but I was thinking, the theory on exhaust top and back came to mind that won't the airflow fight between the back and top fans or at least become turbulent? The top is the greater vacuum because of the say 2-3 fans exhausting up top versus the single lonely fan out the back. Also, since the vacuum in the top is greater than the rear, the unflitered and dusty air will get sucked into the case from the rear to the top and coat the fins on the rad with dust which than impedes the cooling performance. This is how I see it respectfully but I also see what you're saying as well.

I would also be concerned with an AMD FX octo setup blowing warm air across the VRMs...

GTX - it creates FLOW. While there is some 'fighting' for air, it still creates an optimum airFLOW through the case In that air goes out the top and rear while fresh comes in the front/bottom/sides. If you are concerned about dust, than having an unfiltered intake located anywhere totally defeats the point of filtered intakes, I agree. I should show you the cracks of my case, there isn't anymore dust there than when I ran it with more intake than exhaust. Perhaps it was just my case (or two) and how it was setup, but those were my experiences. My biggest hangup with more intake than exhaust are the hotspots it can create because it isn't taking out the warm air fast enough. In an old case I had sensors everywhere testing things out. It wasn't until I went more exhaust that I saw the best results... this was with 5-6 sensors around the case (intake air, exhaust air, intake rad spot 1, exhaust rad spot 1, intake rad spot 2, exhaust rad spot 2).

Well, it is a case by case basis I suppose. In all my years on forums, in all of my experiences, I will still stick with more exhaust than intake for best overall results (includes case temps).

ED, we all have our experience, I never said you were wrong, i just dont agree with you. With my Corsair T600 case, stuffed with watercooling, i had same issue, and flipping the fans helped a great deal back then.

That was Dual rad in front, with triple rad in top.

Now i got a huge tower, and tons of space, i dont think it would matter much, but i havent tested it, since its not just a simple 3 fan flip for me, its a complicated 14 fan flip.

Well, it is a case by case basis I suppose. In all my years on forums, in all of my experiences, I will still stick with more exhaust than intake for best overall results (includes case temps).

Yup, Me too. :thup:

HA! it is case by case.
in my haf-xb the only place to mount a rad is in the front so to make the vrms happy, with an octo core or hex core i have to reverse the airflow.
with tower cases I find that in the front and out the top and back is the way to go.
one way or the other i find it best to push air out the rads and not bring in air heated by the rads.

Back