• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Fire Fox 29 won't stop nagging me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
OK so I have my favorite all time theme 'Sky Pilot Classic' that's been updated through FF 28. Even though I've shut off update notifications, FF still keeps nagging me every hour or more often.

How do I shut it up? I'm not changing my theme or updating FF until there is an updated/approved version of Sky Pilot. FF keeps updating so fast that lots of great themes can't keep up :(

If this is about disabling update checks for individual add-ons then it is possible to prevent individual add-ons from updating automatically even when you have the Software Update feature enabled. To do so:

Type about:addons in the address bar and press enter.

Go down under the Add-on name and click on where it says More.

Individual add-on updates can be disabled there.

No it's the freakin' browser that insists that it be obeyed and updated asap.

FF keeps updating so fast that lots of great themes can't keep up :(

They are updating so fast because major holes keep being found in all the browsers, but it seems FF is particularly open to them. If you don't update, you are exposed to the latest list of exploits via the browser.

Audioaficionado, my Firefox never updates unless I ask it to.

I am not really clear what is going on but if your Firefox is asking you to update from version 28 to version 29, then it should not if you:
Firefox > Tools > Options > ADVANCED > Update TAB > Never check for updates

If you did that and Firefox asks you to update from version 28 to 29, then post your problem here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

I would switch to Chrome in a heartbeat but it simply does not have indispensable add-ons Firefox does.

There are a lot of people out there who dislike the direction Firefox is taking but Chrome has no add-ons like Firefox (some of which we can't do without), so Chrome is not an option.

Are you sure it is Firefox, and not some kind of an add-on that is asking you to update, Audio?

Check in about:config for these preferences, and make sure they're all set to False...

app.update.auto
app.update.enabled
app.update.silent

Last edited by a moderator:
app.update.auto
app.update.enabled
app.update.silent

All are now set to: false

app.update.enabled was the only one not set to 'false' yet.

Are you sure it is Firefox, and not some kind of an add-on that is asking you to update, Audio?

Yes I'm sure.

FF nag.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure that isn't another program popping up? That doesn't look like the normal Firefox update window.

The next time it opens, see if the nag window is listed in Task Manager in the applications tab. If it is, right click and select "Go To Process" to see what exe it is running from.

Last edited:
It's as long as my screen is wide. I just cropped it with Irfanview to make it smaller.

So far no new popups. I should have gotten a few by now.

OK, so it sounds like app.update.enabled set to true was the culprit.

I wonder what in the GUI switches that if not Firefox > Tools > Options > ADVANCED > Update TAB > Never check for updates

I've been using FF since the early Phoenix then Firebird days. If they keep POing devs, then there won't be many extensions updated or written in the future.

i quit using FF since it started to be a resource hog, tried nearly all of them and i had to settle at chrome. But i still use thunderbird witch is working great.

Back