• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Fire Fox 29 won't stop nagging me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If they keep POing devs, then there won't be many extensions updated or written in the future.

I agree that add-ons were and are a backbone of Firefox user base support. Certainly lack of equivalent add-ons for Chrome were the primary reason for sticking with Firefox for me. I would like Firefox to succeed.

Still even if Chrome gets all the add-ons, these are my reasons against Chrome:

Chrome installation is scary. They don't tell you what version the file you are installing is, if you as much as touch the installation file, it installs itself "everywhere" without asking basic questions like where you want it installed, if you want it installed, and it immediately starts phoning home. You uninstall Chrome and Google Update is still pinging your firewall trying to send data out of your system... We've been complaining about Firefox a lot lately but at least eventually you can customize Firefox to do whatever you want it to do...

There's a distinct feeling of losing all control after you launch that Google Chrome setup... they may as well display "You're Ours Now!" right after you launch it :)

Last edited:
biggest problem i have with firefox.. is its like an endless memory leak.. I just cant get around it no matter what i try..

Actually I watched this just the other day. Kept tabs in Windows Task manager and you could just see the memory file size slowly grow.

Actually I watched this just the other day. Kept tabs in Windows Task manager and you could just see the memory file size slowly grow.
It pre-loads data in case you use it. Using more memory isn't automatically bad. I'd rather have it take more memory than do disk reads.

Current usage with 4 windows with 50 tabs open:
Rxa8Xcu.png

Just use the newest Waterfox 26.0 portable version and you should be free of such issues. In general its bad to use install-hog versions in term it can be prevented. The only program that truly needs a install-hog is 1. Virus Scanner (because need to merge with system) and 2. games, and 3. all sort of drivers (need to merge).

Im using Waterfox all the time, great Browser, works great with my system, no issues at all. But its in need of a good 64 bit system, so its not made for baby, basic or most of the weaker transportable systems. However, i was testing Waterfox on a 4 GB RAM system already and so far its no problem considering memory use, usualy i dont need more than 50% of RAM, even when i watch big amount of videos and downloads enabled. So i got no clue why some people consider many of the Firefox browsers "data hogs" or "memory leaker". Prehaps there is some additional issues related to the own system and not necessarely to browser only. Of course, a 64 Bit system is twice that memory hungry compared to a 32 bit system, so a 64 bit system paired with 64 bit browser is in need of no less than 4 GB RAM, any amount lesser than that is just foolish.

The main reason i use Waterfox is because of the huge pool of addons, almost nothing is impossible using that browser, together with the huge amount of addons it can provide great expansive power. Mainstream-Browsers such as IE may have high security (and is praised by the majority for... i dunno what for) but its very restrictive, its like riding a police car and constantly watching at the speedometer (oops sorry that was to fast!). :) I prefer the unlocked SUV-car able to bring me almost everywhere... Just to bad not so much people use such browsers it seems, but its theyr own mistaken, i cant be bothered always to inform.

Besides, US people may not know: At the time Win 7 has been released in Europe the EU was putting a embargo on MS in term they arnt separating the IE from the main system. So MS had no other choice but to give the EU users a "browser choice" instead of a forced IE. It wasnt the case for US consumers... because majority of US is praising theyr own companys including theyr mentality, thats certain. Although the most fun stuff i ever experienced by using IE is that some websites was using a browser detection and as soon as IE is used they was blocking the site from running because "MS browser is invalid" or "site runs great with every browser except MS browser". I dont support such a rude behavior in order to express a political view but its still fun.

Considering market shares of browsers:

~31% Chrome (the newest of all browsers but the sheer amount of power Google was able to drain is making a big success out of it)
~30% IE
~25% Safari
~9% Firefox (whats uncertain is if the other Firefox based browsers such as Waterfox is already included)
~5% Other browsers (Opera and such). Prehaps there is a few Firefox based stuff inside because most other browsers are slowly vanishing from the market and it seems like a 4-way competition. From those 4 browsers Firefox based stuff is the only stuff having true open source inside. In other words, there is 3 police cars and 1 rogue SUV car, if the people accept a non police car is a good question, only the future will be able to tell.

About Opera, im not sure if that browser will survive the market, they may blink soon (thats sad), that means they dissappear because competition simply won. I just hope the Firefox based browsers are able to become/stay strong and not going way below 10%, because its nowadays the almost only "user defined" browser in existance. Other browsers are mainly locked down by proprietary designs and are either slowly turning away from the users or are never close to the users at all.

Not that surprising: Google is the all-beating-machine, and most users dont even know that Google is just as nasty such as MS when it comes to the gathering of personal datas (they gather almost everything... people who dont know that fact are fools) , but its theyr own choice, Google is probably just as much a police car such as MS. Apple will soon be very close to IE, thats another thing not very surprising considering the big success of many of the Apple products and in general theyr increased popularity (mainly thanks to the Iphone and Ipad stuff). Although why the people are using the other browsers in such a marginal rate isnt clear to me, but so far i was never impressed at the majoritys choice, theyr choice may not mean to much because its usualy "popularity based". Im not gonna explain what it means to be or to become "popular" because it would fill a whole book. Although it works almost same such as political elections: 3 factions are the "all-time-beaters" and all the other factions dont stand a chance and never ever will be chosen, no matter if there is 30 factions available. Even to have a 4. faction is already very difficult for the majority... (!)

Last edited:
I having horrible luck with Internet Explorer 11!

It has a tendency to hang and takes forever to install on a multi core processor!

It feels like I'm installing on a 200 Mhz!

Most people got horrible luck using a IE 11. :D Im sorry...
Ok well, to be fair: I guess you have a PC issue and may have to reinstall or clean OS, or prehaps other software causing some conflicts. But anyway, i suggest for everyone just to try out any browser and pick the one most suitable to them. Its no problem just to install all browsers at once and test them out, thats how a expert would be doing it. There isnt to much choices anymore: IE (32/64 bit), Firefox (32 bit) or Waterfox (64 bit), Safari or Chrome, thats basically the possible options. Other browsers are either slowly fading away soon or they did already blink, so i wouldnt put effort into picking them. Of course there is several Firefox based builds, but i suggest either to be stick to the original 32 bit Firefox (especially for weaker systems) or use Waterfox (a 64 bit spinoff).

Firefox Desktop share is actually at just under 17% but has been dropping every single month for 10 months straight.
Proof: http://www.netmarketshare.com/
Totaly possible because Chrome and Safari are pretty hard competition and even MS is now feeling the hard breath taking (western style!) rope... they arnt anymore the number 1 and it surely is hurting them.

I dont really care who will win the fight but i give all my support for Mozilla based stuff because just as i told: Its now the only open source enabled browser and its the very last of its spec... we could say its a "endangered species". On top of that i like to use the stuff (reason already told). For me the matter is clear, once again: Thanks to the Waterfox-team for providing a great browser.

Although, the very best condition would be to have a even situation. 25% IE, 25% Safari, 25% Firefox (Mozilla) based, and 25% Chrome. That way no developer should be in danger and all the users will have the benefit of free choice and a lot of possible custom options. I dont think its to much in order to have 4 vital browsers on the market... it would be perfect.

Last edited:
Back