• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox 29 breaks old custom user profile look, this add-on restores it:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Firefox 29 has just been released. If you have carefully customized the way your Firefox browser looks since version 0.x Beta came out, Firefox 29's Australis theme breaks many of those customizations.

This Add-on will help remove or keep individual Firefox 29 GUI 'improvements' and let you setup things the way you want them to look: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Since so many things changed, consider making a brand new profile from scratch for Firefox 29 while still using that add-on.

I made some notes over the years about all the changes I made to mine, maybe somebody else finds a couple of things in the attached .zip file useful.

Attachments

• Firefox29.png
    Firefox29.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Firefox 29.0.1.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The issue is operating system independent.
It only affects people who have heavily modified Firefox over its 29 versions. If you see no changes after installing Firefox 29, that means your profile was not heavily modified and so there is no need to do anything if you prefer things the way they are by default...

Here are some examples: As a personal preference, I kept large Back and Forward buttons on the left, just like they used to be there from the beginning and are no longer there now. I inserted a Favorites Menu that is universal across all browsers and all operating systems on my multi-boot. (I have a single Favorites folder in which I stored links since Windows 9x in 1990s. - that Favorites folder is accessible from Internet Explorer and as you can see from Firefox too.)

Big things and little things like my main TAB being purple, Firefox 29 changed the way TABs look, and with that add-on I have kept their new shape but restored their color preference.

All my modifications are in the Tweaks.txt file below.

Attachments

• FirefoxLook1.png
    FirefoxLook1.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Hide individual Firefox Menu Items.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,287
  • @TWEAKS.TXT
    15 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I have to ask why you have all the buttons across the top.
I believe there is a keyboard shortcut for every one of them.

As for pasting the web address, I always "Ctrl+C, Ctrl+T, Ctrl+V, Enter".

I have to ask why you have all the buttons across the top.
I believe there is a keyboard shortcut for every one of them.

As for pasting the web address, I always "Ctrl+C, Ctrl+T, Ctrl+V, Enter".

right click > open in new tab.

Last edited:
I have to ask why you ...
Oh... It's all personal preference. You may not like to do that. You should not do any modification you don't personally like.

There is no 'right' way or 'wrong' way specifically.
Right way: OPTION for *you* to do what you like and someone else to do what *they* like.
Wrong way: NO OPTION to modify what you want how you want it.

So having said that, I personally like to use my super-fast laser mouse to do whatever I can 0.1 seconds faster. I personally can do it faster with buttons just like you can probably do it faster using keyboard... Specifics about what is 'better' don't matter, the entire point is to fight to have options to do things differently IF we so choose, for whatever reason we have, and most importantly without having to justify our personal preference. . ;)

Oh... It's all personal preference. You may not like to do that. You should not do any modification you don't personally like.

There is no 'right' way or 'wrong' way specifically.
Right way: OPTION for *you* to do what you like and someone else to do what *they* like.
Wrong way: NO OPTION to modify what you want how you want it.

So having said that, I personally like to use my super-fast laser mouse to do whatever I can 0.1 seconds faster. I personally can do it faster with buttons just like you can probably do it faster using keyboard... Specifics about what is 'better' don't matter, the entire point is to fight to have options to do things differently IF we so choose, for whatever reason we have, and most importantly without having to justify our personal preference. . ;)

I was just curious because I view extra bars/buttons as wasted space in the monitor and unnecessary screen clutter.
My customization (of Chrome) involves "cut everything extra off and hide it".

No need to get all up in arms over a simple question, I'm not trying to take your customization away from you.

:) It's not you. It's every developer ever I talked to... (Most of them feel it's not necessary to give people options...)

I apologize. I'd be happy to talk about that at length. Also, (I'm showing my age here) when internet first started, people on forums used to question other people's preferences all the time... that just doesn't happen as often...

If the row of buttons doesn't occupy space that would otherwise be blank, my reason for having buttons is not having to let go of the mouse which I use at fast speeds new laser mice allow me to use them.

To further answer your question, let me take the example of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel:

People use word processors in different ways. I discovered which operations I use most frequently and then with each new version I would transfer my custom buttons. They allowed me to have every operation I frequently used right in front of me, like this:

Excel:
Excel.png

Word:
Word.png

And then Microsoft Office 2007 came out and in their wisdom, the developers decided that no, you cannot decide which default buttons you want to have displayed in front of you.

I found a way to do that finally and because I spent too much time figuring it out, I built a lot of frustration always spending too much time to just have the option to set things up the way I choose... http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725542

It seems we are complete opposites, I hide the bar at the top of my Office 2010 even.
I know the Alt+... shortcuts for everything.

That works especially well for Word/Excel since you're going to be typing a lot anyway.

Two ways, one goal, one preference.

:) It's not you. It's every developer ever I talked to... (Most of them feel it's not necessary to give people options...)

I apologize. I'd be happy to talk about that at length. Also, (I'm showing my age here) when internet first started, people on forums used to question other people's preferences all the time... that just doesn't happen as often...

If the row of buttons doesn't occupy space that would otherwise be blank, my reason for having buttons is not having to let go of the mouse which I use at fast speeds new laser mice allow me to use them.

To further answer your question, let me take the example of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel:

People use word processors in different ways. I discovered which operations I use most frequently and then with each new version I would transfer my custom buttons. They allowed me to have every operation I frequently used right in front of me, like this:

Excel:
View attachment 143360

Word:
View attachment 143361

And then Microsoft Office 2007 came out and in their wisdom, the developers decided that no, you cannot decide which default buttons you want to have displayed in front of you.

I found a way to do that finally and because I spent too much time figuring it out, I built a lot of frustration always spending too much time to just have the option to set things up the way I choose... http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725542
Wow. What a cluster. KB shortcuts FTW for me! :thup:

If your mind's eye knew *exactly* where every button was and you used it that way for a decade or two...

It seems we are complete opposites, I hide the bar at the top of my Office 2010 even.
I know the Alt+... shortcuts for everything.

That works especially well for Word/Excel since you're going to be typing a lot anyway.

Two ways, one goal, one preference.

Yup. And I completely understand. I just look at the big picture and say: If a developer didn't allow you to hide that bar, and instead forced you to do things in only one way, his way, I would be all over that developer because he would be our common enemy. :)

But you're right, it's interesting to share how people use computers in different ways... :beer:

Im sure it would work. But I also didn't go through the (seemingly) monumental effort it repeatedly takes you to keep that method through software versions (windows, office, and god knows what else you dig so deep for to customize).

I work with what they give me for the most part. Saves me time, effort, and stress trying to force things to be 'my way'. BUT, to each their own of course.

Queue Frank Sinatra...

Last edited:
I just rebuilt a freinds PC and installed this and I am not keen on it it looks good but for even 1 tab open as in this site to type this it's using 300mb of RAM ??? I don't like how I can't change the buttons to TEXT form only and there seems to be no forward button either and no add on toolbar at the bottom which means ADBLOCK plus has it's own icon on the top right next to downloads and open menu.

Speaking of Office 2007 I didn't upgrade because I hated the look of the new UI I'm still using Office XP and it works for me but I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a newer version soon I'm just wondering which and if I can change it back to the same old fashion UI of 2003 but still get the latest features

Last edited:
Given a choice, go for the latest Office 2013. 32-bit is probably better than 64 bit. Installing 32-Bit version of Microsoft Office 2013 is recommended even under 64-Bit Windows because it ensures compatibility with other 32-bit applications, specifically third-party add-ins.

Potential benefits of the 64-bit version include Excel's ability to handle spreadsheets larger than 2GB, Microsoft Project's ability to accommodate similarly enormous projects, and native Data Execution Protection for potentially improved security. However, the 64-bit version of MS Office 2013 is not compatible with any other previously installed 32-bit version of MS Office. You need to first uninstall all 32-bit versions of Office programs before you install the 64-bit version of MS Office.

There is a very involved way to somewhat be able to get back the old UI. It won't be quick and easy but I do have instructions on how to do it.

As for Firefox 29, the entire point of this thread is how everything you are asking for _can_ be done. Step 1 is to install this Firefox add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Next you will need to install these buttons: http://codefisher.org/download/toolbar_buttons/toolbar-buttons-1.0.xpi

I did everything you want to do. I included very lengthy and long instructions on everything I have done.

You do not have to read them. Install those two things and then post in this thread however many questions you want on whatever you want to do. Be specific.

I will have time later tonight to post the MS Office info in this thread for you.

OK, here's how to get the Office 2003 Menus back into Office 2007/2010/2013:

• Freeware portion of RibbonCustomizer software can be used to get the classic menus installed: pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/download.php

After installing RibbonCustomizer, go to the View Ribbon >
Customize Ribbon (click on its drop down menu, not on its icon) > Customization Schemes >
to get the Classic User Interface enabled

[Classic UI feature can be used indefinitely, without selecting to try the shareware portion of the program so you don't have to select 'Evaluate RibbonCustomizer Professional'. Note that RibbonCustomizer may delay Word Startup Time a little.]

Version 1.2 of RibbonCustomizer lets you use your own custom images as icons on the Ribbon BUT ONLY for your own macro buttons. You cannot assign custom images to regular office commands. Also, files generated with version 1.2 cannot be read by older releases.

...as for Buttons.... while Microsoft will not let you create your own custom Ribbon with whatever _you_ think should go in there, they will let you create an ADD-INS Ribbon, which _can_ be a replica of your custom Office 2003 buttons.

Here's what to do:

• To import a Ribbon consisting of a template from Word 2003 or earlier, simply copy the Normal.dot file from Word 2003 to the Word STARTUP folder, by default
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\

This will result in Add-Ins ribbon loading at startup. However, it may contain unwanted Menu and Toolbar items as well. To make a custom Normal.dot file with just the templates in Word 2003 or earlier:
1. Start Word 2003 > Tools > Customize... > Toolbars TAB > New > Make toolbar available: Document1 > OK > Place items inside the newly created toolbar.

2. Save the file as a .doc file (in case it's also needed later) but then File > Save As... > Save As Type: Document Template (*.dot) > Save

3. Copy the .dot file to MS Office 2007/2010/2013 folder C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\

4. You may have to re-create in Word 2007/2010/2013 any macros you saved, but Classic Template shortcuts for them should then work.

• To import a Ribbon consisting of a template from the previous version of Excel, convert the old templates into an *.xla Add-In using Excel 2003 or earlier: Tools > Customize... > Toolbars TAB > Attach... > Select and Copy custom toolbars > OK > Close
File > Save As ... > Save as type: Microsoft Office Excel Add-In (*.xla) > Save the file then copy it to
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\
or
[...]\Microsoft Office\Office15\XLSTART

Start Excel 2007/2010/2013, which would then show the custom toolbars under the Add-Ins Ribbon. ExcelXX.xlb containing the Add-In information will also be created in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\

Finally, my entire set of Office 2013 notes:

Code:
Microsoft Office 2013

•To see installed version of (for example) MS Word:
File > Account > About Word [on the right] > Microsoft® Word 2013 (15.0.4420.1017) 

•Remove SkyDrive Pro from right-click menu:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shell
Delete key SPFS.ContextMenu

•Office 2013 stores customized templates (customized icons in the top bar above ribbons) in .officeUI files.

.officeUI files are created after one customized change is made. Start Word and add one item to the Quick Access Toolbar [Drop down menu in the upper left cooner]
Do the same in Excel. 

Location in Windows 8: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office 
Location for Office 2007 & 2010 in Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Office

Default .officeUI file locations cannot be changed like their equivalents could in Office 2003 and earlier versions.

Word 2013	Word.officeUI
Excel 2013	Excel.officeUI
PowerPoint 2013	PowerPoint.officeUI
Access 2013	Access.officeUI

Outlook 2013:
Contacts		Olkaddritem.officeUI
Calendar		Olkapptitem.officeUI
Distribution list	Olkdistitem.officeUI
Journal entry	Olklogitem.officeUI
Mail		Olkmailitem.officeUI
Post in folder	Olkpostitem.officeUI
Tasks		Olktaskitem.officeUI

[Office 2007 uses .qat extension instead of .officeUI extension.
Simply rename extension to either .qat or .officeUI to use the same file under different versions of MS Office.]

• To transfer settings from another computer > File > [scroll down] Options [or Office symbol in the upper left corner > Word Options] > Advanced > File Locations (under General): set User Templates (where Normal.dotm with settings will be located) > [You can also set the loaction of the Word STARTUP folder here.] > OK > OK > Restart Word.

• To import a Ribbon consisting of a template from Word 2003 or earlier, simply copy the Normal.dot file from Word 2003 to the Word STARTUP folder, by default
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\

This will result in Add-Ins ribbon loading at startup. However, it may contain unwanted Menu and Toolbar items as well. To make a custom Normal.dot file with just the templates in Word 2003 or earlier:
1. Start Word 2003 > Tools > Customize... > Toolbars TAB > New > Make toolbar available: Document1 > OK > Place items inside the newly created toolbar.

2. Save the file as a .doc file (in case it's also needed later) but then File > Save As... > Save As Type: Document Template (*.dot) > Save 

3. Copy the .dot file to MS Office 2007/2010/2013 folder C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\

4. You may have to re-create in Word 2007/2010/2013 any macros you saved, but Classic Template shortcuts for them should then work.

• To import a Ribbon consisting of a template from the previous version of Excel, convert the old templates into an *.xla Add-In using Excel 2003 or earlier: Tools > Customize... > Toolbars TAB > Attach... > Select and Copy custom toolbars > OK > Close
File > Save As ... > Save as type: Microsoft Office Excel Add-In (*.xla) > Save the file then copy it to 
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\
or
[...]\Microsoft Office\Office15\XLSTART

Start Excel 2007/2010/2013, which would then show the custom toolbars under the Add-Ins Ribbon. ExcelXX.xlb containing the Add-In information will also be created in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\

Word > File > Options 
or Office symbol in the upper left corner > Word Options (lower right):

* [General or Popular] > UNCHECK: Show Mini Toolbar on selection
ScreenTip style: Don't show feature descriptions in ScreenTips
UNCHECK: Tell me if Microsoft Word isn't the default program for viewing and editing documents.
UNCHECK: Show the Start screen when this application starts
* Proofing > AutoCorrect Options... button > AutoFormat As You Type TAB > 
UNCHECK: Straight quotes with smart quotes 
UNCHECK: Automatic Bulleted Lists
then Smart Tags TAB [if using Office 2007] > UNCHECK all
then AutoFormat TAB > UNCHECK: Straight quotes with smart quotes
> OK > Custom Dictionaries… button (In the middle of the window) > 
[Word Dictionary.dic file may be replaced with an empty file SO BACK IT UP, THEN COPY IT BACK AFTER NEW OFFICE INSTALLATION]
   > Add… button (to set the file) > Change default button > OK > OK
   > Add… button (to set the file) > Change default button > OK 

* Save > Save files in this format: Word 97-2003 Document (*.doc)
          > Save AutoRecover information every 3 minutes
          > Set File Locations 

* Advanced > [under Cut, copy and paste] UNCHECK: Show Paste Options button >
(below, if using Office 2007) UNCHECK: Show Smart Tags
(below) Show this number of Recent Documents: 50 (is max) > OK > Restart Word

Web Options... button [under General] > Files TAB > Default Editor: UNCHECK all > OK

* Trust Center > Trust Center Settings... (lower right) > Privacy Options (left) >  
UNCHECK: Check Microsoft Office documents that are from or link to suspicious Web sites > OK > OK

• Set zoom to 125%
• To set the default Font: 
Home Ribbon > Click on the  sideways arrow to the right of Font > Select Font > (Set As) Default... > (All documents based on Normal.dotm template > OK ) > Yes 

• To disable the Mini Toolbar when right clicking on selected words: 
File > Options > Customize Ribbon > [on the right] CHECK: Developer 
or
Office symbol in the upper left corner > Word Options (lower right) > Popular > 
CHECK: Developer in the Ribbon > OK > 

1. Now click on the Developer Ribbon > Macros (on the left) > Macro name: AutoExec > Create
2. Above where it says End Sub, paste this:
Options.ShowMenuFloaties = False
3. File > Close and return to Microsoft Word (last option under File)

Enable Macros: Developer Ribbon > Macros Security > Enable all Macros
[Optionally, disable Developer Ribbon again]

Excel > File > [scroll down] Options 
or Office symbol in the upper left corner > Excel Options (lower right):

* [General or Popular] > UNCHECK: Show Mini Toolbar on selection
ScreenTip style: Don't show feature descriptions in ScreenTips

Set default font or leave Body Font 11 as default font.

UNCHECK: Tell me if Microsoft Excel isn't the default progam for viewing and editing spreadsheets.
UNCHECK: Show the Start screen when this application starts

* Formulas > CHECK: Enable iterative calculation
UNCHECK: Numbers formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe

* Save > Save files in this format: Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls)
          > Save AutoRecover information every 3 minutes
          > Set File Locations 

* Advanced > (under Cut, copy and paste) UNCHECK: Show Paste Options button
UNCHECK: Show Insert Options Buttons 

Disable Splash Screens:

Go to Microsoft Office 2013\Office15 folder and create shortcuts to 
WINWORD.EXE 
EXCEL.EXE
POWERPNT.EXE

Right click on shortcut > Properties > at the end of Target: add one space then: 
/q for WINWORD.EXE 
/e for EXCEL.EXE
/s for POWERPNT.EXE

However, Excel will open with an empty workbook with no sheets. 
Workaround: Save an empty Excel sheet anywhere, for example, to:
E:\Program Files 8\Microsoft Office 2013\Book1.xlsx
Now instead of /e for Excel, use 
/e "E:\Program Files 8\Microsoft Office 2013\Book1.xlsx"

[There are no switches for other programs in MS Office.]

@Use both Office 2003 and 2013 on one system folder with necessary .reg files is included.

MS Office 2007 

In MS Office 2007 [not necessary in MS Office 2013], deleting these registry entries will remove Right Click Groove menu but will not uninstall Microsoft Office Groove:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\XXX Groove GFS Context Menu Handler XXX

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\XXX Groove GFS Context Menu Handler XXX

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\XXX Groove GFS Context Menu Handler XXX

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\XXX Groove GFS Context Menu Handler XXX

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\XXX Groove GFS Context Menu Handler XXX

RibbonCustomizer 

• Freeware portion of RibbonCustomizer software can be used to get the classic menus installed: pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/download.php

After installing RibbonCustomizer, go to the View Ribbon > 
Customize Ribbon (click on its drop down menu, not on its icon) > Customization Schemes > 
to get the Classic User Interface enabled

[Classic UI feature can be used indefinitely, without selecting to try the shareware portion of the program so you don't have to select 'Evaluate RibbonCustomizer Professional'. Note that RibbonCustomizer may delay Word Startup Time a little.]

Version 1.2 of RibbonCustomizer lets you use your own custom images as icons on the Ribbon BUT ONLY for your own macro buttons. You cannot assign custom images to regular office commands. Also, files generated with version 1.2 cannot be read by older releases.

Back