• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FireFox is pushing mandatory updates irregardless of my local settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Check in about:config for these preferences, and make sure they're all set to False...

app.update.auto
app.update.enabled
app.update.silent

Right after installing v28 I did this and also went to options and set everything to no updates. Then I closed it and restarted to make sure the settings stuck. I checked and everything is as I set it.

FireFox updates me to latest version anyway sometime later. :rolleyes:

Where are the update files and how can I block it from happening? This has happened three times so far. :bang head

Not even Microsoft was so dictatorial in pushing updates down to users. :mad:

I will dump FF if it keeps doing this. :snipe:

Hmm... With v27.0.1 and earlier I don't have this problem. Haven't tried the newer versions of Firefox though.

I just set it to Never Check for Updates in the Tools>Options>Advanced>Update Menu.

I've never had a problem with it automatically updating since doing that.

I'm on version 38, was there features in v. 28 that you preferred?

Isn't staying with an older browser version inviting security issues?

(He wants to keep an old theme that is not compatible with Firefox versions after his 28.)

Are you talking about Firefox program or Firefox add-ons?
You need to click on OFF in Add-on options separate from this if you don't want certain individual add-ons updated.

Firefox absolutely does not update unless you click on Check for updates after disabling auto update. Something is happening unique to your user profile and we can figure out what that is.

Attachments

• DisableFirefoxUpdate.png
    DisableFirefoxUpdate.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 94
I did all that as stated in the OP. What I did do differently this time was not allow the management service to be installed. I also unplugged the LAN connection so it couldn't phone home immediately on installation.

Before this last installation I had to manually delete all left over folders after I uninstalled the updated version. Did several passes with CClean registry cleaning utility. Then after I installed v28, it doesn't seem to be updating this time. You miss one cancer cell and the tumor comes right back.

Always a good idea to have a custom user profile folder location for easier and frequent copy-paste backup/restore.

Glad you figured it out. It would be nice if there was a way to custom make whatever you need to have the latest Firefox look like you want it to.
28 was the last version before LOTS of stuff got broken. Luckily the stuff I use eventually got updated. They are now moving to only signed add-ons being allowed, I hope there will be a way to circumnavigate that restriction, just in case some add-ons we use don't get signed...

Sometimes add-ons mess up other add-ons without Firefox being the culprit. All the more reason to frequently backup your user folder.
Just the other day, I had an add-on update mess my Firefox look. I put a block on that add-on from updating itself as the only solution.

Firefox is making SO many mistakes and messing up SO badly but it's all we have against IE and Chrome, neither of which have the add-ons or customizations (or privacy) of Firefox.

Interesting program, I just set custom location for the user folder then copy-paste the folder frequently, but that add-on has some interesting custom backup settings too.

Also dude as far as the thread title goes, 'irregardless' is not a word. :D :cheers:

mine has done the same thing, I installed 25 a while back on this win7 machine and check for updates is still unchecked.

Attachments

• firefox.PNG
    firefox.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 32
Huh. Well if you look at the screen shot in post#4 of this thread. If that is what you have on your Firefox 38.0.5 there and it still happens - then simply make a new profile and make sure it's set like on the screenshot in post #4, and that should take care it...

you can click/check all the buttons you want, but FF will still keep updating itself. There's a leftover registry setting that triggers the auto updates. I had to uninstall FF, manually delete all Mozilla folders (including hidden), then use CCleaner to clean the registry of all the FF bits and pieces. Then physically unplug from the internet and install the old version of your choice. Then check/uncheck all the appropriate boxes and restart FF. You should be good to go from now on.

Back