• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build questions about Motherboard/PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvylCyn

Registered
Hello All, I've been lurking for sometime, however I've recently started my first build in about 15+ years and signed up as I have a number of questions.

Build thus far:

Crosshair V Formula-Z
AMD FX-8350
KingWin LZP-1000
CoolerMaster Storm Trooper
G.Skill Ares 1866 16Gb
Noctua NH-D14

I will be adding a 128Gb Vertex 4 SSD for OS, a 2tb WD HDD for Data, a BR/DVD/CD writer, a Sapphire Radeon 7970 GPU, and a couple more 120mm Sickleflow case fans.

My first question is about connecting the PSU to the Mobo. The CVFZ has 4 ports for power: 24pin, 8pin 4pin, and 4pin EZ Plug molex. The PSU has cables marked 24pin CPU1, 8pin CPU2 and another split 8pin half marked CP and the other half U1 (CP/U1)
Which cables do I connect?:-/

PS the manuals for the case/mobo/psu are very vague and I have read and re-read them about 50 times.

The 24 pin goes in the obvious spot, Hook the 8 pin cpu to the 8 pin cpu slot and the 4x4 pin cpu to the other 1x4 cpu spot, which ever one fits. As far as the 4 pin molex don't bother hooking it up unless you are using dual GPU's.

Here is some marked up scans to clarify my issue.

Attachments

• Mobo_Cables.JPG
    Mobo_Cables.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Mobo_Diag.JPG
    Mobo_Diag.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 68
  • PSU_Cables.JPG
    PSU_Cables.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 62
Back