• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cbankston

I am planning to build a computer to replace my 2005 Dell XPS and would appreciate suggestions for some of the components. My tentative component list is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU: Intel i7-3770K
GPU: MSI N660-TI PE 2GD5/OC
SSD: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Sata III
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB cache - 2 units
OD: Lite-On IHAS124-04
Case: Corsair Carbide 400R
PSU: Rosewill Capstone-650-M
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: 16 GB - ? 2 8GB DDR-3 1600
Monitor: Dell U2412M

What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.

The computer will be for all-purpose use, including gaming and editing of videos and photos.

What is your budget?

About $2000

Does this include a copy of Windows?

Yes
Does this include peripherals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse)?

Yes

Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?

U.S. Ordering from own country.

Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage. -

Looking for best prices, including shipping. Most components probably will be ordered from Amazon.

If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?

No. There are no Microcenters in Louisiana.

Do you have any specific requests with the build?

I need advice on the following components:

Case: mid-tower size with at least USB-3 ports in front and ideally also with Firewire in front for my video camera. It also needs decent protection against dust, as the room tends to be dusty. Appearance is unimportant, but function and ease of access are very important.

PSU: Is chosen size (650 W) adequate? Should have decent quality and efficiency, stable output, and quiet operation. Prefer modular.

CPU Cooler: Prefer quality air cooling over water cooling. Chosen cooler has good ratings, but I'm concerned about its size. If I do use the case I listed, will the cooler fit? Quiet operation is important.

RAM: I want to install 16GB as 2 8GB modules to leave 2 slots open for any further expansion. Several of the CPU coolers I have investigated seem to have a problem with encroaching on the RAM slots space, so I probably would need the standard height modules rather than the ones with cooling fins. I don't plan to try overclocking the RAM. The Gigabyte memory compatibility list shows very few 8GB 1600 module choices. Is compatibility an issue?

Monitor: I'm open to suggestions.

Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?

Moderate overclocking. No specific goal.

Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?

Mid-tower is OK.

Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?

Yes.

In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?

Prefer to build a system that will be adequate for several years but with ability to add additional RAM or hard drives as needed.

Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Probably will use only 1 GPU.

:welcome:To the Overclockers forums!!

Have you checked out Newegg.com? They have some great prices which you can cross reference with Amazon.

This was my first build too @ $2000 but looking back I probably would have changed a couple items such as the CPU cooler for an Corsair H100 and the GPU for a higher end one, but the system is basically all purpose with future upgrades in mind, and RAM will never be an issue for as long as I use it.
Gigabyte and ASRock also produce some very fine boards, but it was the Sabertooth 5 year warranty that sold me and the positive reviews to build with confidence and reliability with less chance of getting a DOA.

Your list is pretty good. I see no problems. If you live in a dusty area you'll need to blow it out. I usually remove filters beacue they just slow the flow and dust will get in anyway.

If you don't plan to do a ton of editing etc, and 5 min more on a edit/photoshop job that should take 20 min, then save a bit with a 3570K. Games will waste the extra ability of hyperthreading anyway. Unless you NEED multithreading for burning DVDs day after day etc or don't do graphics work all day, you'll see no diff. They both overclock well.

Maybe buy a few case fans to add to what they give you, add two to the top.

I think your 650 watt PSU is pretty okay, but we have a GREAT sticky in the power supply sub-forum. Read a bit and learn.

Ram compatability is hogwash. Buy ram for your mobo that's not junk (see what others buy in this forum), and pay attention to heigth.

The Sabertooth is no benefit to you, OP, so it's a nice board, but you don't need it.

And that is MY opinion, no need to reply or make the thread another fest.

To answer a few more of your questions cbankston;

Cases: This is something unique to individual taste and style. I would suggest looking into and researching the Lian li cases as these are typically your best in terms of class, sturdiness, features, cooling, quietness, and tooless/modular construction. Many have the front panel ports you're seeking, though I can't recall seeing one with firewire.
PSU: The one component you don't want to skimp on as all other components are dependent on it. A cheap PSU to fail can take everything else out. I would suggest a 750w 80plus gold for being fully modular and addressing any future power needs, not only with this build but possibly a future one as well.
CPU coolers & RAM: Air vs water is always a concern with new builders for obvious reasons. However, the sealed water cooling units offer some advantage over their air competitors, such as not taking up as much space where RAM slots are blocked and they are much easier to install for a high performance cooling solution. The H100 is one of the best. Its much easier to add RAM later than having to remove and reseat your CPU cooler. This also allows you to use high performance RAM without the fins being an issue to enable XMP.
Monitors: This is usually a no brainer here as the consensus is to get one of the Korean 27" IPS panels with 2560:1440 resolution through Ebay. Check out the "Display and Imaging Devices" forum for more information. If the size is a concern, try one of the 23" or 24" versions of the IPS panels. If you're into 3d gaming, there are other non-IPS panels around but expect to pay much more.

GPUs: Ideally, an ATI/Radeon 7950 or 7970 is probably your best bet for gaming, eyefinity, or extreme graphics if you can fit one into your budget.

If you don't plan to do a ton of editing etc, and 5 min more on a edit/photoshop job that should take 20 min, then save a bit with a 3570K. Games will waste the extra ability of hyperthreading anyway. Unless you NEED multithreading for burning DVDs day after day etc or don't do graphics work all day, you'll see no diff. They both overclock well.

I generally have at least a browser and sometimes other programs running in the background. I also am trying to future-proof the build, as I hope not to change the CPU any time soon.

The Sabertooth is no benefit to you, OP, so it's a nice board, but you don't need it.

That was not the motherboard I listed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am considering changing my case to the Corsair 500R, which appears to give a bit better dust protection than the 400R, at least if I devise some filtration for the side fan. A few of the reviews of the 500R on vendors' sites have mentioned having some ports on a motherboard blocked by the design of the mounting area in the case. Would that be an issue with the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H? With the 500R would there be any significant advantage to using the Corsair H100 cooler vs. the Noctua?

If I switch to a 750W PSU, can anyone suggest one with an especially good quality/price ratio?

What version of VideoStudio? Pro X3 is CUDA accelerated, which would use an NVIDIA card, but Pro X4 is OpenCL accelerated, which is faster on an AMD card.

Dust filtration is nice. It also restricts airflow, needed for case cooling.

Powerful performance PCs like your needs good case airflow. No matter what you do, you'll get dust.

If you don't have access to an air compressor, then buy a 2-4 4 can air pack and expect every 3 -6 months to use a can. It's the price of ownership, like getting a nice car waxed every 3-6 months.

Some case air filters can clog so fast and they are SOOOO hard to take out it's not worth it to keep them in, besides the drop in airflow.

Just some basic advice, take filters reducing case dust as magic. You'll prolly want some better/more case fans later as you adjust. More quality case fans equals all are at lower RPM for a quieter PC in the long run.

What version of VideoStudio? Pro X3 is CUDA accelerated, which would use an NVIDIA card, but Pro X4 is OpenCL accelerated, which is faster on an AMD card.

I have X4. Thanks for the advice; but I will stick with the NVidia card.

Back