• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build Stupidity...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emphaticus

Hi Guys,

Had a huge mess-up on my first build,
Essentially finished my set-up, powered on, LED and fans came on for 1 second then it shut down.

'Breadboarded' my mobo with just the CPU and it's fan, and still, the same problem ocurred...

I checked the processor, and it appeared all the pins were slanted???

Is this normal for a LGA1155 socket? (They marked dots perfectly on the processor itself) :confused:

Not sure where to go from here, whether the mobo is done for, or whether it could be a problem with the corsair cx600 psu short circuiting or something?

Any help would be MASSIVELY welcomed right now as I'm new to all this :(

What hardware are you using? Please list it all (mobo,cpu,ram,gpu).

That said, the pins go in a couple of different directions (LOOK).

Do you have both the 24 pin and 8 pin CPU plugged in to the motherboard?

Hi Guys,

Had a huge mess-up on my first build,
Essentially finished my set-up, powered on, LED and fans came on for 1 second then it shut down.

'Breadboarded' my mobo with just the CPU and it's fan, and still, the same problem ocurred...

I checked the processor, and it appeared all the pins were slanted???

Is this normal for a LGA1155 socket? (They marked dots perfectly on the processor itself) :confused:

Not sure where to go from here, whether the mobo is done for, or whether it could be a problem with the corsair cx600 psu short circuiting or something?

Any help would be MASSIVELY welcomed right now as I'm new to all this :(

Well my friends do not fear as it is not a big deal. More than likely you are not giving your MB enough power. What powersupple do you have? Also did you make sure all the pins were plugged in fully and the 24 pin connection on your MB? Check these things out and also make sure you have your video card power pins in also.

Motherboard - gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU - i5-3570k
RAM - 2x4GB crucial ddr3
GPU - 660ti
PSU - Corsair cx660

I only plugged the 24pin in, couldn't see an 8pin plug or socket, I'll look now.

Thanks for the picture, huge sense of relief, pins look the same orientation.

Motherboard - gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU - i5-3570k
RAM - 2x4GB crucial ddr3
GPU - 660ti
PSU - Corsair cx660

I only plugged the 24pin in, couldn't see an 8pin plug or socket, I'll look now.

Thanks for the picture, huge sense of relief, pins look the same orientation.

Might actually also be a tiny 4 pin connector that needs to be connected.

That board has an additional 4pin 12volt plug that is behind the VGA port on that motherboard, make sure that is plugged in.

Thanks everyone,
So problem's most likely the 4pin ATX-12V having not been plugged in and not giving enough power to mobo.

My PSU only has an 8pin, no 4pin? Any way around this? (Corsair cx600)

All fixed, thanks EarthDog and everyone else!
Now sorting out an operating system :/

Back