• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build - Thermal Paste Question - i3 8100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n8dogg59

Registered
Hey everyone, I finally have all my parts for my first build and I wasn't sure if I need to apply thermal paste. I have an i3 8100 and my build is here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rx6Mqk . In my post getting help at picking parts someone told me "The OEM heatsink and OEM thermal interface material is perfectly fine for a stock Corei3 processor" It sounded great but I just wanted to make sure that is correct because I don't know what an OEM heatsink or OEM thermal interface material is. Thanks in advance for the help.

The OEM heatsink comes packaged with the processor. It should come with thermal paste pre-applied. Unless you are going to go with an aftermarket cooler or you need to pull the heatsink off do not worry to much about getting other paste. If do need to get another tube of paste get something like MX-4 do not worry to much about high grade expensive paste. You will see no noticeable difference on that system.

I would absolutely make some changes

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kXkfJV

1) For gaming setups (its an i3, I cant possibly think what else it would be for), you still dont need 16gb of ram. Found some SWEET 3200mhz ram on sale that will cut your cost down considerably.
2) 1050's are "meh". Because of the changes, I put in a gtx 1060 because its very much superior.
3) added the revered 212 evo. Why? Because of sound. Stock intel coolers are LOUD. And if you ever upgrade down the road to an i5 or i7, you will still be able to use the 212 and even get a mild-medium overclock out of it just fine.
4) you chose an amazing power supply... but its really overkill in quality. Its a 10/10, where a 7/10 will suit your needs and then some. The seasonic is a solid 8-9/10 for half the cost. Still fully modular, and I recommend you get the seasonic instead and save the cash.
5) doubled your SSD capacity. With windows install, you will really only get maybe 2 games installed before you start crowding 250gb of storage. I have ONLY windows on my 120gb ssd, and its taking 85gb. With updates and stuff, it'll get over 100gb soon enough. Overwatch is taking 45gb, GTA 5 is 70gb, Assassins creed is 80gb, CS GO even is 30gb.
6) There are other ways to purchase windows 10 without spending 100$.

So, in review, you get a much better gpu, twice the ssd storage, a fully modular power supply, a much quieter and better performing heat sink; all for 40$ less than your original build.

Edit: your money, your build; just some food for thought. If you are dead set on those parts, go nuts!

Agreed...but sadly, his verbiage leads me to believe the parts were already purchased.

Anyway, like loch said, stock i tel cooler has paste. Worry about installing it right than thermal paste.

Agreed...but sadly, his verbiage leads me to believe the parts were already purchased.

Anyway, like loch said, stock i tel cooler has paste. Worry about installing it right than thermal paste.

I gotta stop scan reading :screwy: "have all my parts" :snipe:

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I already have the parts, just need to do the build which will probably be sometime this week. I don't play any games, just will use the pc for trading, internet, and streaming some videos. I got a lot of help in another post on picking out the parts and also got some really good deals last weekend.

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I already have the parts, just need to do the build which will probably be sometime this week. I don't play any games, just will use the pc for trading, internet, and streaming some videos. I got a lot of help in another post on picking out the parts and also got some really good deals last weekend.

Hope you did! It'll be a fine setup to "Grow into"; if not a touch overkill for your uses at the moment :p

I would highly recommend replacing the thermal paste from the stock cooler. Here's the coverage from my last Intel build prior to replacing the stock cooler. If it were mine I'd wipe the OEM TIM off and use any name brand TIM you have available and apply the proper amount.

As you can see the coverage is abysmal.

cooler.JPG

tim.JPG

Back