• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build,would these components work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok,thank you so much guys.Really appreciate the replies.
I will go with the CX600,I am probably going to get the list that Xeon posted as this is what I was looking at myself.Will probably order today. :D

Always buy a good solid PSU and get one with more Watts than you need, it will last you at least 2 or 3 more builds! And as someone has said if you Overclock then it will be good investment. Also be careful about buying from Pixmania they don't have a good return or customer service!! As what ive heard so far OP. Best of luck with your parts list. AJ. ;) :attn:

P.S. Amazon would be a lot better price wise and customer service as well!!

Last edited:
Damn,does the 990 board really make a big difference?
They are around 120 euros and that would end up being 540 euros(probably no shipping).I still need to buy a monitor.

Ok so I added all the same stuff into my basket on amazon and the price ended up the same,will still buy it from there though if you say that the customer care is better

Guess I will have to buy that more expensive board that you suggested Hippogriff.What difference is the board going to make though?

Ok so I added all the same stuff into my basket on amazon and the price ended up the same,will still buy it from there though if you say that the customer care is better

Guess I will have to buy that more expensive board that you suggested Hippogriff.What difference is the board going to make though?

Better ram (IMHO), cheaper PSU, 990 mobo

jz8e4z.jpg

I had an OCZ power supply go on me, the first and only so far.
I don't think I'd buy one again, but that's just me.

Sure that 990fx board is fine.
None of those boards have robust power delivery, so overclocking will be more of a casual affair. (4+1)

Since we are looking at amazon now
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA...d=1371841769&sr=1-1&keywords=gigabyte+970-ud3
This board is not a 990fx, but carries an 8+2 power phase VRM and would be more stable when overclocking

If you are sold on the 990fx chipset, I'd recommend this board
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-M5A99X...&ie=UTF8&qid=1371842052&sr=1-9&keywords=990fx
It has a 6+2 power phase VRM

These FX CPUs are power hungry and when overclocking the lesser VRMs can easily get overwhelmed and cause instability

Last edited:
Parts are ordered.Thanks for all the help.
PSU:CORSAIR CX600 80 PLUS Bronze PC Power supply
GPU:SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition - 2 GB
RAM:pATRIOT PC Viper 3 Series 2 x 4 GB Memory
Processor:AMD FX-6300 Black Edition - 3.5 GHz - Socket AM3+
Mobo:ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970 DDR3 ATX

Back