• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First custom WC loop + case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idkfa

Hey,

after a lot of consideration and thoughts I came to the conclusion that I want to water cool my current system. Although the drops in temperatures (except for the GPU maybe) do not justify a custom WC setup, I like the idea of building / customizing it. It's a hobby as someone pointed out in an older thread of me.

So, what do I want to know and what do I already know? A friend of mine has build several WC systems and therefore will assist me building my new rig. We decided that we wanted to go with a complete custom case, he was so kind to render our rough draft in C4D.

case.jpg

What parts do we plan to use?

Alphacool HF 14 Smart Motion Universal Copper Edition
Alphacool MCX 5x Verteiler G1/4
Alphacool MCX ram
Anschlusskit Verschraubung 13/10mm G1/4" gemischt
Aquacomputer Aquastream XT USB 12V Pumpe- Standard Version
Aquacomputer cuplex kryos Delrin für Sockel 1366/1156/1155/775, G1/4"
Masterkleer Schlauch PVC 12,7/9,5mm (3/8"ID) Clear 3,3m (10ft) "Retail Package"
Phobya Balancer 250 black nickel
Phobya Xtreme NOVA 1080 Radiator - Full Copper
Scythe Glide Stream 140 SY1425HB12L 800rpm ( 140x140x25mm )
Tygon R3607 Schlauch 5/3mm klar

I would like to have some input / feedback of what parts we could/should change.
We have to go for that custom GPU solution since my 580 is non ref design and you can't get any fitting waterblocks for it.
I know the nova 1080 is huge, and I might could go with 1 or 2 smaller rads, but it fits our design idea and should allow me to go completely passive in idle (at least my friend can with his mo-ra 2). 3 fans for load (I might change the enclosure of the radiator and add additional 3 fans on the top, outside the case).

So far I came up with:

CPU TDP 95W
GPU TDP 165W
---------------
260W

Assuming using 3(6) instead of 9 fans would change the C/W by the factor 2(1.5), since I think the massive size of the radiator accounts for more than the fans. Values taken from http://www.dexgo.com/

3 fans total|400 RPM|600RPM|1200RPM
R_th[K/W]|0.067|0.047|0.025
dT|17.42K|12.22K|6.5K

6 fans total|400 RPM|600RPM|1200RPM
R_th[K/W]|0.05025|0.03525|0.01875
dT|13.07K|9.17K|4.88K

Assuming 260W is not the exact heat load + my R_th are calculated a bit bigger than they really are I think this setup should allow for good overclocking options.

I think we would start building / ordering in June or Juli. Have to save up some extra cash first, since the parts for the case could be hard to get / pricy in sum and I don't like surprises on that field. Just so you know, in case there are better / newer parts announced for that time.

This part has nothing to do with the WC itself, just so you know. The theme of the build will be steampunk and Im thinking of a purple or blue/red-ish LED setup, if you have any creative input ;)

Then, thanks in advance and I look forward to be enlighted :salute:

Last edited:
Wait... 27 fans...?

Do you also show a chipset and ram cooler? Why are you cooling those? Those are not needed and are usually quite restrictive for flow. I would stick with a simple CPU/GPU personally.

Wait... 27 fans...?
Oh maybe I should update / improve the table. It is meant like that:

1st row: 3 fans @ 400 RPM have a R_th of 0.067 resulting in a dT of 17.42K @ 260W load
2nd row: 3 fans @ 600 RPM [...]

I either plan on 3 fans (like in the picture) or 6 fans (like the picture + 3 outside the case).

Do you also show a chipset and ram cooler?
Nope ;) If you click at the links you see that "Alphacool MCX ram" is part of the custom GPU cooling, to cool the GPU RAM.
599_1.jpg

http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p599_Alphacool-MCX-ram.html

While that looks cool as hell, I cant imagine flow rate is good at all... Neat, but not practical. Full coverage block and cool the VRMs too!

I cant imagine flow rate is good at all...
Was my concern, too. It is unfortunatly in german, but I'll translate the important part.
http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=897606
II n II d II
Wer sich Sorgen um den Durchfluss macht, den kann ich beruhigen. Dem Sprudeln im Ausgleichsbehälter nach zu urteilen hat sich der Durchfluss nicht verändert. Eine Durchflussbremse sind diese Minikühler also keinesfalls.
Who is concerned by the flow rate, I can calm you. Judging by the action in the reservoir the flow rate has not changed. Those mini coolers are no flow rate restrictors at all
Full coverage block and cool the VRMs too!
As stated in my original post, I was not able to find a full block for my exact model (MSI 580 GTX Twinfrozr III PE/OC Edition). I called MSI, they said there is no such thing, I should contact watercooling.de if they would produce such thing. And they said they don't have / do that either. Since Im happy with my 580 and don't plan to upgrade in the near future, this DIY option is the only chance I have.
@ VRM, I guess these will do? http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p10763_Alphacool-MCX-one-Copper-Edition.html In the post he talks about "Alphacool MCX Mosfet One" wasn't able to track these down.

BOLOGNA that 8 of those things or whatever dont restrict flow...they HAVE to to some extent. And 'looking in a reservoir' is not a good barometer of flow. If I was you, I would just use an all in one block for the gpu core and sinks for the vram.

8 of those things or whatever dont restrict flow...they HAVE to to some extent. And 'looking in a reservoir' is not a good barometer of flow.
I don't doubt they restrict, but I did hope although he didn't really measure the change in flow rate they'd restrict not too much.

I would just use an all in one block for the gpu core and sinks for the vram.
So the block I have for the core would work. And for RAM / VRM you mean I should go for heatsinks (passive, then?). Something like that: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...4890.html?tl=g40c21s65&id=uZLNa3BP&mv_pc=5062 (i know, wrong card, just googled what they look like).

Thank you both for your helpful input! If I can find any reliable data for a low flow restriction on my first option, would you still prefer sinks?

Since you both focused on the GPU cooling, what about the other components like pump, CPU block / case? Anything to improve there?

It's hard because it's in German. Seems to be okay, not sure where the CPU block falls into the mix as far as performance compared to others. Same goes for the pump. Your radiator looks fine as your fans should be fine.

As important as your CPU block what liquids are you planning to run? I'll state it now, we all say distilled water and .999 silver or a biocide. No bling fansy liquids. I can posts lots of links that will show real problems.

If you go with what others in the Germany/EU places use you'll be fine. Please read our YELLOW stickies for some guides and a ton of info.

Yoou might have a mistake in fitting sizes vs your tubing selection

GPU ram is called Vram. GPU voltage regulators are called Vregs, at least by me. On a Mobo they call them Mosfets. No one cools Mobo ram, called ram on a Mobo. Go figure.

Do your research, you have plenty of time and your smart for looking ahead. I'll say it one more time.

Please read our YELLOW stickies for some guides and a ton of info.

Oh maybe I should update / improve the table. It is meant like that:

1st row: 3 fans @ 400 RPM have a R_th of 0.067 resulting in a dT of 17.42K @ 260W load
2nd row: 3 fans @ 600 RPM [...]

I either plan on 3 fans (like in the picture) or 6 fans (like the picture + 3 outside the case).

Nope ;) If you click at the links you see that "Alphacool MCX ram" is part of the custom GPU cooling, to cool the GPU RAM.
599_1.jpg

http://www.aquatuning.de/product_info.php/info/p599_Alphacool-MCX-ram.html

tremendously cool looking, but the only way to keep flow restriction to a minimum would be if all the blockies are set parallel. and even then.

Then again, if you give you GPU its own dedicated loop then it doesn't matter that much

as for the 580 have you checked with Watercool? Doesn't their Heatkiller x3 fit?

This is a 5 year old build. He as likely built something else by now. Though I am curious as well.

Back