• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Mod!! Lots of Pics! 'Circuit Board Effect'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm that sounds interesting I'll have to see how that would look...it might not match with the circuits...but I'll try it, good idea.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that you would want to pry the ugly heat spreader off of the processor with a screwdriver or something. The core on those chips is usually a pretty metallic green or red so it would look a lot better than the heatspreader.

BTW, I love the southern accent :D I'm in Montgomery, AL at the moment :) Howdy

OK, that mod got you my instant respect.
Really, great job. I hope you win that San lan contest or something you're all talking about. :)
That case really deserves it.

Oh, and now you can solder, you can really make the fans lines go via the strips. :)
You may want to sand the upper layer a bit at first. I don't know about what material you're talking, but my guesses are that the surface isn't coarse enough for the flux to really grip on and it looks as if there is some polishing on it. It may insulate...

safronz said:
Did you know you have to be over 18 to buy super glue??? I sure didn't - I'm 17 and have a full time job yet I can't buy something to stick things together with?! Ugh

LOL I got carded for buying Plastic fusion epoxy (in housewares its a 2 part epoxy) at Walmart, and I have been buying alcohol :beer: since I was 16 and never been carded (in 25 years). I was buying the epoxy to fix my daughters glases....

BTW, I love the southern accent I'm in Montgomery, AL at the moment Howdy

You think I have a southern accent? hehe, I don't know how that shows through my posts. I guess I don't notice it since everyone else talks the same down here. But yes, howdy howdy!

OK, that mod got you my instant respect.
Really, great job. I hope you win that San lan contest or something you're all talking about.
That case really deserves it.

Oh, and now you can solder, you can really make the fans lines go via the strips.
You may want to sand the upper layer a bit at first. I don't know about what material you're talking, but my guesses are that the surface isn't coarse enough for the flux to really grip on and it looks as if there is some polishing on it. It may insulate...

Thanks! ... and you are saying to solder the wires to the strips? I doubt that would work because the strips aren't very metal, I think only partly...but hey why not give it a try! The strips are 22 feet long each...so I have a lot to mess with. I'll be working on the case later tonight, I'm going to go watch underworld for the first time w/ moonwolf.

Mark620 said:
LOL I got carded for buying Plastic fusion epoxy (in housewares its a 2 part epoxy) at Walmart, and I have been buying alcohol :beer: since I was 16 and never been carded (in 25 years). I was buying the epoxy to fix my daughters glases....

Haha, did the glasses fix? Yea I went in the stupid self-checkout lines at walmart (should have gone in the other lines) so this big beep sounded and on the screen it said something like authentication required for this item. So the person managing the self checkout lines comes up to me and asks me for ID. (Yea and up until then I didn't know you had to be 18) I really hate pointless walmart trips.

safronz said:
Haha, did the glasses fix?

As a mater of fact, yes. The tech at the optical dept was very impressed with the fix. They are plastic frame and they broke at the nose piece. The glue survived the heating to remove the lenses to put them into a new frame. they had never seen any glue/repair do this. Its called "Plastic Welding System" On the tubes. I have bought it under 2 brand names now. I have fixed, besides the glasses, Car turn signal Lights, front plastic cover on a computer (the epoxy I tried first did not hold), glued a DVD player from a home theater system (power supply died) into a dead CDROM case, to name a few uses.

That is a very cool mod!! For version 2.0, you should think about using an actual method used to produce circuit boards. It's called the iron-on toner method. Take a look at http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/gooteepc.htm
You could use this method to make the toner stick to your case, then paint that section and wash away the toner. With this method, you can make .0125" thick lines with .02" spacing, which would be very cool! This would be very hard, but would look even cooler!

Sniperboy said:
That is a very cool mod!! For version 2.0, you should think about using an actual method used to produce circuit boards. It's called the iron-on toner method. Take a look at http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/gooteepc.htm
You could use this method to make the toner stick to your case, then paint that section and wash away the toner. With this method, you can make .0125" thick lines with .02" spacing, which would be very cool! This would be very hard, but would look even cooler!

Wow that is awesome! 2.0 is going to be very hard, esp. if I attempt something like that. I'll probably do that next summer maybe, doubt I'll have much time during college. Thanks for the link!

Damn nice mod so far. Decals can make or break a mod and so far, you are running on the good side of that fine line. :D

I actully really like that. excellent work man, im sure your proud to show that off at a lan.

Update

It's almost 5 a.m. and I'm so tired but I want to post anyway...

Here's the close up of the wire leading to the switch

wire_L.jpg

wireright_L.jpg

wireleft_L.jpg

switch_L.jpg

I didn't do the best job ever but I doubt the imperfections will be that noticeable in the case...and if they are then I'll fix it up better.

Now in the dark!

wire_D.jpg

wireleft.jpg

wireright.jpg

switch_D.jpg

-change topic-

Here's what it looks like behind the panel

behindcircuitpanel.jpg

behindcircuit.jpg

behindcircuit2.jpg

This is why I didn't put the strips inside...the other side doesn't look as nice.

You can see that I cut squares behind the washers so that it would like a hole in the circuit wire thing. (vocab very low ... esp. at night) I've made a lot of scratch marks using the razor to cut off strips and what not. I need to get some acrylic polish and get out those blemishes.

Okay so Here's the process of putting strips on the top:

workontop22.jpg

workontop21.jpg

workontop20.jpg

workontop19.jpg

workontop18.jpg

workontop17.jpg

workontop16.jpg

^^^That right there took a good amount of time. I used the notecards to help me align the strips but even when I'm using notecards it is still hard to make the lines straight.

workontop15.jpg

workontop14.jpg

workontop13.jpg

workontop12.jpg

workontop11.jpg

workontop10.jpg

workontop9.jpg

workontop1.jpg

workontop7.jpg

workontop5.jpg

workontop4.jpg

workontop3.jpg

workontop2.jpg

So after I got the other side on I started gluing the washers on...
stupid 009.jpg

topnotdone2.jpg

topnotdone.jpg

Ehhh... those side wires just don't go...soooo about 30 min of work wasted and....

workontop.jpg

topwiredone2.jpg

topwiredone.jpg

top_Ldone.jpg

I know what you are thinking, needs more wires needs more something! Well I thought about that and I think that that idea of putting an old proc there would be awesome...whoever thought of that thanks!

top_Ldoneamd.jpg

top_D.jpg

It just looks so bare...I'll get more on it later!

You can imagine how long it took me to do the panel with all the playing around with notecards and rulers and taping of crap and redoing crap to make lines straight.

Wow it just definitely needs more...any suggestions yall have let me know!

Last edited:
Safronz,

First, let me congratulate you on coming up with a brilliant concept.
I've never seen it's like and and the (potential) effect is stunning.

But (don't hate me), the outcome is going to be hobbled by the difficulty of doing this by hand.
I have a suggestion (again, don't hate me...)that I think will give you far superior results, but will require that you strip off all that you have done so far.

You will need to come up with a schematic for circuits that is proportional to the panels you are working on.
They needn't be actual size, but able to be scaled to the proper finished size.
The more complex the design, the better.
Take these designs to you local "Instant Sign" shop...you certainly have them in San Antonio, shop around till you find one that is interested in working with you.
These shops use a computerized plotter to cut their lettering out of self adhesive vinyl and can scan your circuit designs direct to the plotter ( they are almost certainly using Gerber equipment and it can easily do this).
Once the design is scanned they simply spec the final size and the machine will cut out a perfect replica.
Once the design is cut, all the excess is stripped off and a cover (transfer) sheet is applied and the design is then laid onto your panel in one piece, like a giant decal.

The process ( while time-consuming...especially the cutting) is quite simple and you can save money by doing the stripping ( the common term for this is "weeding") and the final installation yourself.
I used to work in the business and know for a fact that this can be done with no real technical problems.

If I were to try your mod this is how I would do it.

clocker2 has a good point, but if youre new at it, it's going to take much longer and it's going to be much easier to screw up while weeding, and you could redo what youve been trying to cut a good 3 times before you get it right, which in turn, adds to the cost.

Sniperboy said:

Sorry, but this method wont work on an acrylic case. Hint: it has something to do with the Iron & transferring the toner.

That is a great idea. That's one of those things you don't see around here too often.

its coming along ^_^ really like it. just a thought though, you ever see those light strings at autozone? it would be kewl if you could set up like a mock processor on the front of the case and have it lighting up the rest of the "circuits" on like a strobe type deal. trying to give some inspiration :-D looks real nice and i wouldnt go to one of those stores, better to do it yourself ;)

This has been mentioned before but..

This mod would be completely untouchable if you used the strips for power. You'd probably have to encase the strips between two layers of plexi (keeping random stuff from getting zapped, and making the case a lot heavier) but it would be SO worth it. No wires = completely sick. Even if the only things you powered via the strips were fans, it would rock. Hard.

Also, since you mentioned that the silver is slightly hard to see on a clear background, have you considered making the strips UV reactive? There was a nice mod here where the guy used some kind of UV reactive color stripping. Circuit traces lit up like that could look pretty sweet - or you could probably find some paint/ink that would work. Then all you'd have to do was figure out how to set it up so that the strips would both transfer power and glow under UV - no problem.

After that, all you'd have to do is get a UV reactive pen and trace the traces on your mobo/pci cards. here is a nice example, and I know there are more around...

Last edited:
Back