• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Mod!! Lots of Pics! 'Circuit Board Effect'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The next thing I'm going to do is mount my digital thermometer on the same plate as the toggle switch.

Here's the therm:

therm3.jpg

I want to mount it kinda like this:

therm2.jpg

My screws aren't really long enough as you can see...

therm.jpg

So I guess I'll drill a tiny hole for the screw then drill a bigger hole on top so that the screw head can fit in below the surface and then it might be long enough.

Anyone know of a better way or a good technique to do this? (I am a noob with a dremel so any suggestions would be great!)

Last edited:
The drill idea will definitely work, just gotta be careful not to let it slip and scratch the face plate.

Sweet mod!!
That is all I can really say besides I am jealous that you thought of it first.
lol
Great work!!
<~NaFDaoS~>

Congatulations

This is the best thing i've ever seen done with an acrylic case. Not that my opinion matters, seeing i've never done a mod, aside frome my homemade 5.1 headphones fiasco.(lack of time/money/sleep)
The only 2 things you could do to make it look better IMO is if it were laser cut into a design such as clocker2s and if the case reacted green to UV. but still, amazing.That was meant in a good way. :):thup:

is that the LCD from your Xdreamers2 case? or did you find a place that song just the Tempature lcds online?

Hamspiced said:
is that the LCD from your Xdreamers2 case? or did you find a place that song just the Tempature lcds online?

It's from my old case, originally the casing was tan but i spray painted it black

Thermometer Update

Hey I just installed my thermometer, I have to say I didn't do as good of a job as I had hoped. But at least my thermometer has a home now.

I ran a few practice runs on the extra acrylic plate that will be replaced by my cdrom drive.

therm8.jpg

I think I did better at drilling holes on my practice run than on the final product unfortunately.

therm12.jpg

The dot is where I will drill my first hole.

therm11.jpg

Then I align the therm to get ready to drill the final hole.

therm10.jpg

And here it is:

therm6.jpg

Ugly close ups:

therm7.jpg
therm9.jpg

It looks okay from far away and when the lights are off:

therm4.jpg

therm13.jpg

therm14.jpg

I'm thinking about gluing some washers around the screws to cover up the blemishes.

To cover up the slightly fubared drilling, I suggest you add a small washer to each of the screws. I believe it will be consistent with your theme.

Hamspiced said:

That one is from her old case. However, you can get them separately, I think they are called Compu Nurse, but they don't light up. Check here.

*EDIT
Here it is for sale and it appears that it does have a backlight afterall. There is something that's nice to have...

Last edited:
MoonWolf said:
That one is from her old case. However, you can get them separately, I they are called Compu Nurse, but they don't light up. Check here.

*EDIT
Here it is for sale and it appears that it does have a backlight afterall. There is something that's nice to have...

Wow I want that instead...you should have told me this about a post earlier :p

safronz said:
Wow I want that instead...you should have told me this about a post earlier :p

Well ill give you 5 bucks plus S& H for yours if you want to buy that one instead!!!

hams can we keep that in pms plz...
safronz, that is a exelent job your doing! The only other thing i could think of to make it better would be to find some how to get the traces uv green! uv pc stuff is the best thing since sliced bread!

Hey I need to make a case for my case.

I don't want the acrylic to get scratched and all that jazz. My mom's a very good sewer (a person that sews... not the dirty place) and she needs a project so she's going to make a cloth case for me :) I need to find some 1" nylon webbing but I just went to the fabric store and it's 1.69 a yard... that adds up. She's also making one for my boyfriend and he needs 10 yards of it. In addition I need like 2 yards of velcro and that was about 5.50 a yard. So my total would be around 35 bucks for all the raw materials (including the cloth and what not) There has got to be a better place to get this stuff. I've looked online but didn't find any places that were that good. Anyone have some suggestions? (I'm betting there aren't too many "people who sew" around here). Maybe I should stop being cheap...I guess 35 bucks is still cheaper than the price of buying one.

Oh yea and I'm going to be working on my case tonight, so I'll have more pics soon.

35 bux isn't bad at all. I'm sorry to say it, but there's really not much better alternatives. Pre-maid suitcases, big enough to house your pc, will be that much if not more.

You're just out of luck for the case's case.

Safronz,
Don't know about Texas, but up here in Denver we have a couple of Army/Navy surplus stores that carry all the nylon webbing and the like that you'd ever want.
Can't say I've ever priced it though, as you so presciently noted, I am not a seamstress.
Might be worth a look for you though, certainly there is someplace similar down there.

That's a good idea clocker2, I'll go to the army store tomorrow and see what I can find.

Work on front of case:

I put the washers on to cover up those ugly blemishes...

thermwithwashers.jpg

Circuits on front...

frontfinal_L.jpg

frontfinalcloseup_L.jpg

frontfinal.jpg

frontfinalcloseup.jpg

------------------------------------

Proc Talk:

Okay so remember that AMD proc I was going to put on my case? Well moonwolf got me one from his work ... to see the murdering of this proc go here

Being inspired by that guy who used uv pens to highlight his mobo (Go here to see this) Moonwolf and I ordered some UV reactive pens and I have been messing around with those. Here's how the proc looks highlighted with yellow:

amdproc.JPG

Well I also have green, red, and orange pens to mess around with so I'm going to go get to that :)

Last edited:
Grammar and punctuation is your friend... :) That post took me a while to decypher..

Excellent progress Safronz

lol, it took me awhile to figure out too, but when I got it I was like "oh cool thanks derek" Hey it's probably late at night over there too so no worries.

Right now I'm working on putting circuits on the switch and therm which was hamspice's idea...thanks to him I'll be up another hour :p

Back