• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First step into water cooling - feedback welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, that's why I pointed out the tubing. But even if he spent $25 on a retail 10' pack of the Primo to go along with it, it's still under $300 vs the cost of the watercooling components.

I use 7/16" x 5/8" myself with Primochill Advanced LRT :p

I'm partial to the XSPC kits because they seem to be the only "kits" that are worth anything, and they are also what I started out on with great success.

Yea, that's why I pointed out the tubing. But even if he spent $25 on a retail 10' pack of the Primo to go along with it, it's still under $300 vs the cost of the watercooling components.

I use 7/16" x 5/8" myself with Primochill Advanced LRT :p

I'm partial to the XSPC kits because they seem to be the only "kits" that are worth anything, and they are also what I started out on with great success.

Definitely don't misconstrue my statement as "these are bad", I think they're great kits, but I just prefer getting exactly what I want.

One of the problems with that size tubing is that it has a thinner wall and will kink easier.
Not an issue if you're careful, but it still makes a difference in tube routing.

Just something to think about, fittings and tubing are (relatively) cheap.
Buying the retail pack gets you some extra for adding another rad and a GPU into the loop later, or you can get 2m for ~$15 of Advanced LRT.

I've been lurking here as I'm doing some research for my next build(first water build) and it looks like you can customize those kits to fit your needs. You can upgrade to the 1/2" lines for i think $5 for free.

OK, back to lurking...

:popcorn:

Edit:
View attachment 142065
Drop down has 7/16"x5/8" , 1/2"x3/4" & 3/8"x5/8"

Well that's interesting. Then you just need the Advanced LRT.

Like I said, add some tubing and voila :D

If he orders from PerformancePC though, don't forget that IandH Deadwater, it will be your friend on this ominous journey into the perilous territory of the unknown, fighting creatures in the depth of your system while you remain unaware of the epic battle happening right next to you.

Like I said, add some tubing and voila :D

If he orders from PerformancePC though, don't forget that IandH Deadwater, it will be your friend on this ominous journey into the perilous territory of the unknown, fighting creatures in the depth of your system while you remain unaware of the epic battle happening right next to you.

Definitely get the Dead Water. I've got a Kill Coil just for good measure as well.

Hi guys! Long time lurker, first time poster,

As I am totally new at this, I would like to hear your opinions/advice on this.

I think we all jumped the gun here and missed a very important step, the basics. OP hasn't mentioned what his goal is here. Meaning, does he want a quiet rig or noisy, what delta-Temps is he aiming for, etc. Does he understand the maintenance of liquid cooling and the dark side if thinks go wrong he can identify and take care of it before damage is done. Not trying to scare you OP but you need to take your time and read our water cooling stickies. You seem to understand the basic of what parts are needed. That step is after the basic reading of understanding water cooling itself. You didn't mention to us the knowledge you have so this is why I am posting this statement. Let us know where you're at.

I think we all jumped the gun here and missed a very important step, the basics. OP hasn't mentioned what his goal is here. Meaning, does he want a quiet rig or noisy, what delta-Temps is he aiming for, etc. Does he understand the maintenance of liquid cooling and the dark side if thinks go wrong he can identify and take care of it before damage is done. Not trying to scare you OP but you need to take your time and read our water cooling stickies. You seem to understand the basic of what parts are needed. That step is after the basic reading of understanding water cooling itself. You didn't mention to us the knowledge you have so this is why I am posting this statement. Let us know where you're at.

No jimmies rustled :)

I started researching w/c about 3 weeks ago.

My main reason for the change was my old noisy and badly designed case (had a 180mm fan as a top INTAKE). Also thought of switching from a after-market CPU air cooling solution to a closed loop solution (Corsair H60 and the like). After looking at the pros and cons I decided that I want more flexibility and also the possibility to upgrade.
After watching some Linus Tech Tips and Jays Two Cents videos, I decided to go for full custom w/c.

I searched for w/c solutions for my GPU, but there are no waterblocks that fit, and I don't want to do a ghetto setup for it.

The logical thing for me was to go for a kit solution - the ones from XSPC seemed to have the best price/performance.
After talking to others here and other forums I am inclined now to buy the parts I want individually.

So, yes, I did read the stickies and I am aware of the risk involved. :p

As for why I want to w/c my pc:

1. I wanted a fancy gaming pc since the time I was young and poor :p
2. It should be silent when I do "normal" stuff (Movies, surfing, etc)
3. When I do high load stuff (gaming, photoshop etc) the noise should be normal (I can hear my current setup with headphones on)

If I can OC my CPU to 4,5 Ghz and It doesn't boil eggs or cause permanent hearing damage, I'm a happy camper. :)

As for shopping recommendation, I live in central Europe, so my best bet for cheap and fast delivery are:

www.mylemon.at (bought my case from them - free delivery - 48h)
www.caseking.de (great variety)

Thanks for the response. Good to hear you did extensive research and watched some good videos.

After looking at those websites with the help of google translator :p, I thought mylemon.at was newegg for a sec. The other caseking.de site is great since they actually do have a good selection of watercooling components and kits. I would advice sticking with either the XSPC water cooling kit RAYSTORM D5 kit AX120.x Dual bay or the XSPC water cooling kit RAYSTORM D5 Photon AX120.x. Those are really nice kits. I left it as AX120.x because you'll need to figure out if you're thinking of adding a single GPU to the loop. If its only a CPU only loop, go with the AX 120.2 and with GPU the AX 120.3. I would replace the tubing with Primochill Advanced LRT tubing and the radiator fans with the Noiseblocker NB-eloop B12 Fans either in push or pull or both.

Hope this helps and hope to hear from you soon.

Also, if I can ask a mod to add the caseking.de site to the water cooling retail outlets for Germany or Austria. Not sure where their main location is from or possibly both.

Last edited:
They are located out of Berlin, Germany :)

^Can confirm that :)

Mylemon is from Austria.

As for the Kits:

I would really like the cylindrical rez with the "glow thingy" :) so I'm prob going to get the parts individually.

As for the rad:

Reading this: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/12/22/xspc-ex360-radiator/5/, I kind of want to go with the EX240 (my case can't handle a 120.3) in a p/p configuration.

This is very tempting http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...serkuehlung-Set-RayStorm-D5-EX240::21106.html , as it is on sale :)

If you want the cylinder res like I have, the same exact one is in the D5 Photon XSPC kit.

http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...lung-Set-RayStorm-D5-Photon-AX240::25468.html

I still suggest the AX240 vs the EX240 as you should see better results at all fan speeds.

The "glow thingy" is just an LED that slips into the bottom portion of the res and shines out the inner tube. The kit should come with LEDs for the Raystorm cpu block as well as an LED for the res.

I have to double check the max height I can fit in the top of the case.

Last time I checked I had about 55mm

The NB eLoop has 25mm
The AX has 40mm
The Ex has 35,5mm

If I really can not fit the AX with p/p, I think the EX with p/p would be better than AX with only push... ? Or am I overrating p/p?

I would go with the AX and either push or pull. They are powerful enough fans as you won't really need them for push n pull.

See if that shop has any Primochill Advanced LRT

Also, "just add distilled water" :thup:

Like this, just make sure you pick the correct size/length/color :)

Advanced LRT is considered to be the best tubing of the conventional style.

Back