• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first time build could use some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris86

Registered
I am looking at building my first computer. It will be for photo/video editing. I am really big into home audio video. But as a hobby I do photography and edit photography. So will be running photos shop and light room a lot. For right know i will be using my TV which is a 60 inch Samsung TV with 1920x1080 resolution as the monitor.

This is what I know I need
internal card reader
cd/writer drive
Was thinking ssd for programs and operating system and standard HD for everything else
wireless network

Any help or a build sheet would be greatly appreciated. The case I have been looking at is the Corsair Graphite 760T. Open to others but want to keep it sleek and black to match others av stuff.

Just found this case i really like also Obsidian Series®*450D Mid-Tower PC Case or the full size version

How much are you looking to spend? The parts you listed are all secondary to the main computer build. Processor, RAM, mobo, psu are the most important. Are you planning to overclock the computer and/or do any gaming on this or do you just need a basic computer for photo/video processing?

photoshop and lightroom to a lesser extent love memory. CD burners are pretty much all the same and pretty cheap. Make sure you get a USB 3.0 card reader. SSD is definitely a good idea.

Give us a budget and we can help you put together a system.

Don't really have a budget in mind. No gaming will be just for editing photo and video manly photo. As far as over clocking not sure what that means this will be my first build and heck I have not had a desk top for probley 15yrs been using labtops. So all the computer stuff is newer to me. I have a lenovo labtop right now with I7 hybrid HD it's a ssd and standard hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce so would like it to be as good or better then my labtop. I have also been looking at external hd but now think just ad more storage to this build.

Bottom line as far as CPU goes, whatever chip manufacturer you choose, you're gonna want to be able to though as many cores as you can at video/audio compiling/transcoding. Time time time! I'd stick with nvidea, cuda cores will be a huge advantage when editing and bouncing large video files and 3d rendering. Good, high speed ram helps with video editing, but not audio so much. Of course, any basic/budget computer can handle the tasks at hand. Let's say you want to spend 1200 on a decent build?

Everyone has a budget of what they would like to spend.

Do you have any thing you plan to re-use for the new computer? Things like keyboard, mouse, Windows license, etc all factor in.

Here is a relatively high end system (compared to what you would find inv a retail store) and maybe overkill for your needs. The processor in there is brand new and are still in short supply so the price shown is pretty high, I would wait for better stock and prices before buying that item. I also swapped out your case for a similar but less expensive one.

You can probably save $80-100 by dropping down to a haswell cpu instead of the newest skylake chip and save even more if you can live with a slower i5 processor. I think the difference between haswell and Skylake is 5-10% in most reviews so it really isn't a big difference. I would definitely go with haswell i7 before I dropped down to a Skylake i5 as it will do better with your video editing

Last edited:
This is what I'd look at for photo/video editing:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6z43YJ

You'll notice it's only slightly more money than the build tachi posted, but it has a better processor for the job and double the RAM.
The only thing missing is the internal card reader, but that'll depend on what cards you need it to read.

This is the specs for my labtop I like both these builds my only question is the motherboards and video card are different which is the better of the two.
•4th Gen Intel Core i7-4500U processor
•Intel Core i7 processor
•8GB DDR3L memory
•15.6 LED-backlit high-definition widescreen 10-point multitouch display
•Intel Wireless Display
•1TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
•Dragon Assistant voice recognition software
•NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M dedicated graphics
•1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports

This is the specs for my labtop I like both these builds my only question is the motherboards and video card are different which is the better of the two.
•4th Gen Intel Core i7-4500U processor
•Intel Core i7 processor
•8GB DDR3L memory
•15.6 LED-backlit high-definition widescreen 10-point multitouch display
•Intel Wireless Display
•1TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
•Dragon Assistant voice recognition software
•NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M dedicated graphics
•1 USB 3.0 port and 2 USB 2.0 ports

For your usage the build I posted will be better because of the extra CPU cores and RAM.

Agree that ATM's build is probably better for your use. Was thinking about X99 after I posted that and the extra cores will probably benefit you. If you live near a microcenter store you can knock ~$80 off the processor price to make them closer in price.

The 970 video card is definitely better than the 950, but it is twice as expensive. Most of what you're doing is processor dependent so you can probably get away with the 950. If you have the cash and think you might do some gaming then you probably won't regret the 970, but it may be overkill otherwise.

Will be doing no gaming it's going be manly editing photography. I do run both light room and photoshop at the same time. It will be kept with my media center and maybe down. The road get moved to a office but right now on my TV.

You don't need a super powerful graphics card, a 950 is plenty to get hardware acceleration from.
A faster one could help in some cases, but I doubt you'd notice it.

This system will be leaps and bounds faster than your laptop is.

I was more meaning quality of the picture I know my old labtop was 1080p and so is my new one and when hooked to my TV it's night and day different

I was more meaning quality of the picture I know my old labtop was 1080p and so is my new one and when hooked to my TV it's night and day different

GPU doesn't impact the quality of the screen you're using.
If you want something that looks good, get a real monitor instead of using a TV.

This is the specs of my TV is a smaller monitor really that much better
60inch 1080 x 1920 250hz
Micro Dimming
UltimatePrecision Black (Local Dimming)
Clear Motion Rate 1200
2D and 3D in full HD
Energy Star 6.0
Eco Sensor

This is the specs of my TV is a smaller monitor really that much better
60inch 1080 x 1920 250hz
Micro Dimming
UltimatePrecision Black (Local Dimming)
Clear Motion Rate 1200
2D and 3D in full HD
Energy Star 6.0
Eco Sensor

For photo and video editing, yes. Assuming you buy a quality IPS monitor.

For one thing, if you're shooting video at 1080p then you would need a higher resolution monitor than that to be able to watch the video at its native resolution in your editing program.

A high quality ips monitor should also be able to reproduce more of the rgb scale than a tv so you will be gaining in your photo editing too.

For one thing, if you're shooting video at 1080p then you would need a higher resolution monitor than that to be able to watch the video at its native resolution in your editing program.

A high quality ips monitor should also be able to reproduce more of the rgb scale than a tv so you will be gaining in your photo editing too.

The good ones also come factory color calibrated as well.
The Dell U-Series of monitors is a good example of this.

Back