• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FamousbyMorning

I've been gaming on a ASUS G20AJ set up for about a year now. The 960 in it has some trouble with maxxing out settings and I'd like to "fix" that. I decided to attempt my first build, I'm still in the shopping stages but once I have everything I'll make sure to share and post some pictures.

Perhaps share your budget and uses here... we can assist with making the best choices for the money...

I'm building to be able to play some of my old favorites(FO/ Skyrim/Dirt Rally) and wanting to check out things like Elite Dangerous, Ghost Recon, BF1. I'd like to be able to play at max or close to max settings. I plan to try a bit of OC down the road a bit. I mostly plan to just play but will likely be recording some and possibly streaming game play. I have no delusions of being some amazing gamer it just sounds interesting and worth trying out. I'm not super limited on budget my bigger constraint is time. I'm pulling about 150-200 bucks out of each check to fund this project. So while I could spend more or less what I want the more I spend the longer it takes.

What I have so far(realizing now I might have been better served coming here before diving in but live and learn):
Deep Cool Dukase V2
Asus Z270E
WD Blue 1TB(for pics, music etc)
Corsair Force Mp500 M.2 120GB (For OS)
COrsair TX750 80+Gold
EVGA FTW2
TRidentZ Ram 16gb

Need:
CPU(deciding 7700k/7600K)
CPU cooler(Was looking at corsair h100i V2, but started hearing its loud and want to check other options Maybe a Be Quite Shadow rock slim)
500gb SSD (for games)

Not bad... :)

What evga ftw2? A 1080? What gkksill trident z? 2 x ??gb at what speed? Could have used a 550/650 easily to save some money. I would have went with a larger ssd if possible...those games on a spinner seem to defeat the purpose of an ssd. :)

Id go 7700k if you can afford it and would like it to last. 7600k on a budget.

EVGA FTW2 is a 1080. TridentZ is 3200MHz. I'm planning to add a 500gb to 1tb SSD for my games.

I'm still deciding on how to set up my CPU cooling. I'd like to do some light over clocking and still keep the system as quite as possible. Any advice there would be great.

Last edited:
. I'd like to do some light over clocking and still keep the system as quite as possible. Any advice there would be great.

Welcome to forums . I think i uttered them words then before i knew it i was air cooling then water cooling / chilling , phase change and then cascade @ -130c lol

Overckloking is adictive . You have a nice cpu a light overclock is like having a ferari and driving it at 60mph all the time lol

as Earthdog allredy said 7700k is an all round better choice for 100 more of youre cash . Dont mess with its brain power lol

Cooling wise you have mentioned air over a closed loop water cooling .. The air cooler you mentioned isnt going to be up for the job.
For a moderate overclock shall we compramise lol. It will need a higher end air cooler or an entry water cooler . Corsairs build quality i like its really well made and will cool a hi overclocked system too . Noise wise i cant see it being a problem fans on quiet silent moderate overclock. As i type this i put my corsair 100 on quiet mode and lowered the clock from 5 gig to 4.8 and lowered the voltage ... all runing well running benches silent in fact a case fan is whiring away with more noise . (Which now i have to fix as its anoying me lol)

So i think the corsair will suit youre needs light to moderate oveclock low fan speed low noise . Then if the bug hits you no need to change cooler just ramp everything up overclock and throw some benches into it best of both worlds

Would you recommend the XMP profiles that are already set as a decent place to start out seeing what the system can and can't handle?

Back