• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time media server build help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PseudoSeven

Registered
A friend and I would like to build a media server. He will be putting up the capital so it will be his. I'm just in it for the learning experience.

These are his specifications.

4 storage bays, 4 HDs, it needs to be able to run Plex, and transcode for 1080p and 5.1 sound. It also has to have a good write/read speed so it can transfer all filed wirelessly.

and 2-4 people should be able to stream without loss of quality

On 24/7.

Budget of 500$ Ish.

Is this within the realm of possibilities?

So I'm guessing key parts will be the HD, the mobo, and network card?

Easily doable. A build like this doesn't have (m)any critical components. I'd personally go with a G3258, 2x4GB of RAM (although 2x2GB would likely be fine for your needs), a CX430 PSU, a decent air cooler, and everything else is up to you. No need in spending money on a fancy network card, integrated NIC on your motherboard will be fine. OC the G3258 to around 4ghz and you'll be set.

Of course, you could spend more money and overbuild it with something like an i5, but a G3258 should do just fine. There are probably AMD variants that would fit your needs as well, but I'm not really familiar with them.

If OP's only using the GPU for transcoding, wouldn't something like the R7 240 be fine for them? That would save $100, and still provide a decent boost over IGP for that purpose, wouldn't it?

Yea even that would work, was doing a really quick build for the OP

What do you need a video card for?

You really need to set out what usage scenario you're trying to cover. There are different requirements for transcoding, Direct Streaming (remuxing), and Direct Playing. Most clients on your local network are going to be either doing Direct Play or Direct Stream, though, both of which are pretty low CPU-usage. Unless you have mostly high-quality video source and play to non-iPad iOS or Android devices locally, then you probably wouldn't do that much actual transcoding.

So, pretty much, first set out exactly what it is you want to be able to support. What specific clients, how many of each, how many simultaneously, what quality settings, what the source material is, etc. Then you can decide what's required to achieve that.

a suggestion:
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkS...?ie=UTF8&qid=1423012477&sr=8-2&keywords=ts140

Back