• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocking looking for some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MindLessGhost

Registered
Hey everyone, I just built a new computer and I was playing The Crew(24 FPS) and GTA V(35) well I know this computer should get better FPS than it was, but I figured I should look into overclocking for the better FPS.
First off my specs are
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling
CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition 8 Core standard heat sink
Case:AZZA Solano 1000 CSAZ-1000 Full Tower Case 1x230mm RED LED fan on the top, 1x230mm RED LED fan on the side, 2x140mm RED LED fans in the front, 1x120mm black fan in rear.
RAM: 16 Gigs of ram G.SKILL Ripjaws X240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2133 (PC3 17000) 2 8GB sticks.
PSU:EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W

Thanks in Advanced!

Last edited:
MindLessGhost, welcome to the forum. As far as your gaming goes, what screen resolution are you playing at? You definitely should be getting better Fps then that even at stock.

Overclocking you can start by reading this thread. It will at least give you an idea of what we will need from you. You certainly have the components to overclock on, albeit just a tad overkill on the Psu :D You didn't mention what you're cooling the Cpu with, nor what speed the Ram is.

MindLessGhost, welcome to the forum. As far as your gaming goes, what screen resolution are you playing at? You definitely should be getting better Fps then that even at stock.

Overclocking you can start by reading this thread. It will at least give you an idea of what we will need from you. You certainly have the components to overclock on, albeit just a tad overkill on the Psu :D You didn't mention what you're cooling the Cpu with, nor what speed the Ram is.
I agree, I'm running 1080P res and CPU is just a stock cooler with this case AZZA Solano 1000 CSAZ-1000 Full Tower Case Ram speed is 1600

I agree, I'm running 1080P res and CPU is just a stock cooler with this case AZZA Solano 1000 CSAZ-1000 Full Tower Case Ram speed is 1600
Well from what I read you definitely should be closer to 60 Fps at 1080p. Have you tried doing clean re-install of the Nvidia driver? As far as overclocking goes, it is not going to happen on the stock heatsink. You're definitely going to need some after market cooling to Oc a Fx 8xxx chip. Before you go out buying a heatsink, if you really do want to Oc discuss it with us first. We can help guide you on what would be the best purchase for the money.

Post a screen shot of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory I just want a peek under the hood so to speak. It's possible that running 32g of ram is making the setup a bit unstable and could be the cause of the issue.

Well from what I read you definitely should be closer to 60 Fps at 1080p. Have you tried doing clean re-install of the Nvidia driver? As far as overclocking goes, it is not going to happen on the stock heatsink. You're definitely going to need some after market cooling to Oc a Fx 8xxx chip. Before you go out buying a heatsink, if you really do want to Oc discuss it with us first. We can help guide you on what would be the best purchase for the money.

Post a screen shot of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory I just want a peek under the hood so to speak. It's possible that running 32g of ram is making the setup a bit unstable and could be the cause of the issue.

Yes when I installed the Video card it was a fresh install of windows. And I would like to overclock.
CPU: http://prntscr.com/9d63mc
SPD: http://prntscr.com/9d63yy
Mem: http://prntscr.com/9d6445

Ok for starters you're running your ram at 1333, go into the Bios and set the D.O.C.P. profile to 1600. See if that helps out the games at all. Then post the same screen shots again, additionally use the inforum hosting tool. Some people can't see pictures hosted outside the forum. See below on how to do so.

Now overclocking start by reading this thread. It will give you a better idea of what is required as well as what we are talking about when you get the cooling to do so. Now on the question of cooling, how far do you want to push? A few things to keep in mind, no two chips will overclock alike, so cookie cutter overclock settings one sees on youtube and such need not apply. Most Fx 83xx chips will Oc to around 4.5 on really good air, above that one may need either a top quality Aio H2O heatsink with at least 240mm worth of radiator or a full custom loop. When I say most will, this is no guarantee some chips are just duds and will not clock far at all. I just want to put that out there so you don't have some wild expectation that because John doe Oced his 8370 to 5.0 means yours will. That said, most of the Fx 8370's I've seen come through here seem to be pretty good overclockers. I don't see any reason, with the hardware you have that it will not be able to get to at least 4.7, again on the right cooling and a good chip.

Capture4.PNG

Yuck, we're going to have to set the timings manually. You're going to need to go into the BIOS and set the Ai Oc to manual. Then set the Memory Frequency to the 1600 divider, go into the Dram Timings and set the first 3 primary timings to 10, Ras Act time to 30 and Row cycle time to 40.

Yes you're seeing that right. Its because my CPU ratio is auto by default. It was jumping during that picture between 4.1 to 1.4

C&Q is obviously on. ;)

Rig is total overkill for a gamer, but it's good to know that price will be no object. :D

Does the multiplier move higher under load?

I very far from an expert but I think you can raise that safely. Atleast to the stock speeds... IIRC for an 8370 that is somewhere around 4.0Ghz? Pump that bad boy up to 19-20 (or do it the safe way and move it up a couple of steps -> reboot -> test for stability -> move a couple more steps) and then see what kind of FPS you get

Edit: @MrScott I considered cool n quiet, but Ive never seen those kinds of results in my own machines, I figured the multi was just set low from the factory or something. It would absolutely make sense though

Last edited:
Well just popped off my cover to my case cause the computer was sending out ram errors, looking closer I have two different types of ram in the computer and contacted Amazon saying they messed up the order and they said it was too late to return and replace for the correct ones they were suppose to...
Ddr3-1600 pc-12800
Ddr3-2133 PC-17000

You can try with just 2 matching sticks to see if that clears your problem. Your 2133 will be downclocked to the speed of the slowest sticks. It is best practices to use matching sticks and that hasnt changed, but I dont think the mismatch is causing the issue. Your system might suffer a detriment in performance once you try to push your overclock higher, but there really should be minimal problems at stock speeds

Yuck, we're going to have to set the timings manually. You're going to need to go into the BIOS and set the Ai Oc to manual. Then set the Memory Frequency to the 1600 divider, go into the Dram Timings and set the first 3 primary timings to 10, Ras Act time to 30 and Row cycle time to 40.

CPU1.png
Mem1.png
SPD1.png

What would everyone recommend for cooling for my CPU? I really rather stay away from water coolers. had one about a year ago mounted correctly and everything the gasket on the CPU blew out and ruined my entire rig.

If you want to really push it, if you can find one Reeven Ouranos, i've yet to see one in the retail markets. Otherwise, Noctua NH-D14/15 which ever is less expensive, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Thermaltake NiC C5.

Back