• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8370E Noob build and overclock to 4.8ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663 says 1.35v is the max safe on air (granted this is all relative) and others have exceeded that by a fairly significant amount, but 1.4v is quite high for cpu-nb voltage. Are you overclocking your cpu-nb freq as well or just the CPU?
yeah I have 2400 with matching ht, I never touched the cpu-nb ecxept to try 1.4125, 1.4 was it's natural settings. I have heard that the asrock 990fx fatality killer was not rated for 220watt cpus and although my natural 8370e is only 95 overclocking it brings it in with the 220 watts like the 9590's

yeah I have 2400 with matching ht, I never touched the cpu-nb ecxept to try 1.4125, 1.4 was it's natural settings. I have heard that the asrock 990fx fatality killer was not rated for 220watt cpus and although my natural 8370e is only 95 overclocking it brings it in with the 220 watts like the 9590's
The 'auto' setting will overvolt that as you overclock. You have to set that manually.
Stock is 1.1-1.2v
1.3v is about the norm overclocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Might explain some of your heat... Cpu-nb increases your core temp which increases your socket temp...
Exactly. :thup:

The 'auto' setting will overvolt that as you overclock. You have to set that manually.
Stock is 1.1-1.2v
1.3v is about the norm overclocked.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. :thup:

I see where you guys are coming from here... I just lowered it to 1.35 and it dropped the temp by a few degrees, still stable in aid64 so far

Screenshot (5).png

Again more proof of core temps being able to do 70c

Looks like you are riding the cpu-nb hard. Heat can also cause errors to show up iirc. Try walking down your cpu-nb one step at a time using Prime 95 blend. It uses some ram and should sufficiently load your cpu-nb

Again more proof of core temps being able to do 70c
That was never the issue. The issue is, is it smart to push AMD's damage limit of 72c?, and it's pretty much known that stability on FX's goes south around 60c.
BTW, you have some voltage issues going on. You have 1.4375 vcore shown in AOD and I assume the bios. Yet HWM is showing a high of 1.408 and vdroop to 1.328.
You need to correct that.

Looks like you are riding the cpu-nb hard. Heat can also cause errors to show up iirc. Try walking down your cpu-nb one step at a time using Prime 95 blend. It uses some ram and should sufficiently load your cpu-nb

You two are amazing! I can't believe I completely looked over this

Screenshot (6).png

Iit's at 1.3125 now and again the temps lowered while remaining stable so far.

- - - Updated - - -

That was never the issue. The issue is, is it smart to push AMD's damage limit of 72c?, and it's pretty much known that stability on FX's goes south around 60c.
BTW, you have some voltage issues going on. You have 1.4375 vcore shown in AOD and I assume the bios. Yet HWM is showing a high of 1.408 and vdroop to 1.328.

I have done all I can with the vdroop with this board I already set it to 50mv, what else can I do?

The only reason I mentioned that was for people looking into their max core temp. I know everywhere I looked for the longest time 62c was what was being spread but infact it is 70c + I wasn't trying to school you as I am 100% sure you know far more then me.

As to P95, I have came across now many AMD users who have the same problem. I pass every stress except p95 so yeah I think it's stable.And yes I know about binning but the 8370e seems to oc better and lower v then all the other new fx chips for home use, not talking about world records here.

You inspired me even more to get 8370E as an upgrade to my current gaming system! the maturity of the binning process has given us the best OCing octacores from the FX series imo. Especially with $ cost to OC potential.

P95 isn't the end all be all, I respect your opinion I do and with that being said I consider 4.8 at 1.4250 stable. Most still think the fx 6's 62c core limit holds for the fx 8's and 9's but it's not true. AMD's own threshold proves 72c on the cores itself is the max recommended temp. and who's to say the whole problem here isn't the sensor on the board being retarded. Apparently at high temps and loads they are very inaccurate.

Agree with this on p95. Although its highly popular amongst OC'ers, its not the only cpu/ram stress testing app. Also, I have always taken the mobos sensors at high loads and high temps with a pinch of salt so to speak, doesn't matter who the manufacturer of the mobo is or what model we are talking about either, this has been the case since OC began imo. Too many enthusiasts put too much faith in these sensors to tell the 'truth'.

Thanks for all of your inputs though whether I agree or disagree I think this is very helpful.

Also....... I can tell you right now when I was using a Tt 600watt power supply I failed every test and now that I upgraded to an evga 1000watt gold it was the biggest difference in stablility for me, so to all those needing higher volts upgrade to a better pwoer supply and/or use LLC or put in an offset number like my asrock has to do. If you let your volts run wild you will need a higher voltage!

Too right about high quality PSU's! nothing beats steady clean 'juice' for running OC'ed rigs & high quality VRM's. :)

You inspired me even more to get 8370E as an upgrade to my current gaming system! the maturity of the binning process has given us the best OCing octacores from the FX series imo. Especially with $ cost to OC potential.

Glad to hear it! despite what intel fanboys say these AMD chips well at lest mine anyways are sold chips for the price! I know for a fact mine oced beats the crap out of i5's in everything except gaming by what 10fps? does 75 vs 85 matter that much lol? hell I can beat out more I7's in lots of benches. Is it as poweful compared to the top end intel chips? NO but it's not far off and at 300-400 cheaper it's a no brainer.

Now gaming wise you have to pair it with an r285 or 380 at stock speeds but once you overclock the 8370e you can easily use an r390x without a bottleneck.

Sure the ipc is not as good as intel but to be honest this thing in 99% of tasks will crush i5's. Those sites that are intel funded will put amd into the ground everytime.

I do not hate intel nore do I hate amd, They both make good chips and I just happen to like the color red more then blue :)

Glad to hear it! despite what intel fanboys say these AMD chips well at lest mine anyways are sold chips for the price! I know for a fact mine oced beats the crap out of i5's in everything except gaming by what 10fps? does 75 vs 85 matter that much lol? hell I can beat out more I7's in lots of benches. Is it as poweful compared to the top end intel chips? NO but it's not far off and at 300-400 cheaper it's a no brainer.

Now gaming wise you have to pair it with an r285 or 380 at stock speeds but once you overclock the 8370e you can easily use an r390x without a bottleneck.

Sure the ipc is not as good as intel but to be honest this thing in 99% of tasks will crush i5's. Those sites that are intel funded will put amd into the ground everytime.

I do not hate intel nore do I hate amd, They both make good chips and I just happen to like the color red more then blue :)
Your fanboi is showing.

The highest I went so far and validated is 5.2ghz with 1.5125v I am very sure I could validate at 5.5 at 1.6v, how long would the chip last idk maybe a few weeks or a month before frying but just to know that I can hit it puts a smile on my face.

Not at all I would gladly use a intel rig, if they matched amd prices and kept their better ipc I would be using one.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright give me a sec I will see :)

I have failed haha the highest I can get to with my limited experience is 5.2ghz at 1.5125v, but im sure in your hands you would get more by playing with voltages, might actually be because of my vdroop. probably would need to have it at something like 1.65 and there is no way in hell I am trying that until zen, that way I can give this little monster an honorable death :D

I have failed haha the highest I can get to with my limited experience is 5.2ghz at 1.5125v, but im sure in your hands you would get more by playing with voltages, might actually be because of my vdroop. probably would need to have it at something like 1.65 and there is no way in hell I am trying that until zen, that way I can give this little monster an honorable death :D

http://valid.canardpc.com/s3a0di

It's default was 1.4 and I tried 1.4125 but that didn't seem to help, would it be safe to go higher then that?

Am I the only one using 1.25v 2600mhz/2600mhz 4.7ghz ? Up to 1.3v for 4.8ghz and above but 1.4v is... What's the point ?

Back