• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocking looking for some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
C&Q is obviously on. ;)

Rig is total overkill for a gamer, but it's good to know that price will be no object. :D

Poor 980ti is bottle necked by the AMD processor. Poor Video card. The Cpu is under par.

Definitely not overkill Here, that's not the right wording.

More like, half baked. Should have gone with Intel for gaming unless prefer for some strange reasoning like myself to like AMD better even though it's not suggested by 90% of the community for gaming.

If you want to really push it, if you can find one Reeven Ouranos, i've yet to see one in the retail markets. Otherwise, Noctua NH-D14/15 which ever is less expensive, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Thermaltake NiC C5.

Looking into buying this beast in a few weeks. Cooler Master V8 GTS - High Performance CPU Cooler with Horizontal Vapor Chamber and 8 Heatpipes. I'm trying to keep it matching with my case and this is a crazy good cooler from reviews from other sites. Only down fall to it is I have to take out one of my fans to make it fit the case. So its a debate also may look at the Thermaltake NiC C5. Would really like to keep all matching.

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer AMD I've had too many Intel processors crap out on me within a year. I've had Several AMD's over the years and only replace them to get a better preforming one.

Last edited:
Cryorig H5/ H5A./R1 ultimate

They are new kids on the block, but they easily have the best mounting kit I have ever used. Only took me 3-4 mins to install, with the average install time is 5-8 minutes. Using a H5A myself, and it works wonders. Its BIG though, so keep that in mind for case dimensions. The H5A has 0 ram clearance issues, vs the H5 which is the same cooler with a full size fan. If you use the standard H5 or Standard R1*theres a R1 universal as well* you will block the first ram slot on most boards, even with the lowest profile ram there is.

The slim fan is super quiet, unlike most slim fans, which have an audible sound profile*they aren't loud, you just notice them more than standard fans due to the pitch*

The H5/H5A performs as well as, or within 2-5c of the Noctua NH-D15(your mileage may vary) on an overclocked chip for less than $50.

load1.jpg

This test was done with a single fan. adding another in a push/pull config will cause it to overtake the DH-15. The R1 speaks for itself.(there is still a slot for a third fan!)

It is worth noting the fan mounting system is only compatible with their fans without jerry rigging it, or getting a 140 mm fan with 120mm mounting holes*or just use a 120mm fan in place of the 140, but why would you do that?*. But I got this cooler mainly because it's sexy looking :)

The full review here.

Last edited:
Looking into buying this beast in a few weeks. Cooler Master V8 GTS - High Performance CPU Cooler with Horizontal Vapor Chamber and 8 Heatpipes. I'm trying to keep it matching with my case and this is a crazy good cooler from reviews from other sites. Only down fall to it is I have to take out one of my fans to make it fit the case. So its a debate also may look at the Thermaltake NiC C5. Would really like to keep all matching.

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer AMD I've had too many Intel processors crap out on me within a year. I've had Several AMD's over the years and only replace them to get a better preforming one.

The Cm V8 would not be on my short list, for the money their are much better heatsinks out there. I get you like the looks but do you want performance or looks? If you're going with look check out the Phanteks heatsinks they come in various colors. The Cryorig heatsinks out seem to be really good units for the money as Suppressor mentioned above.

performance, just everything I saw about the CM V8 had good reviews, but if you guys are saying it doesn't that's fine. You guys are the Pro's lol, I've built computers since I was 5 or 6, but never got into overclocking so I'll keep to what you guys are listing. The Phanteks heatsink is probably what I'll go with or the NiC 5

The CM V8 has been around a while so it's tough to find side by side comparisons vs the newer high end heatsinks. It's also tough to find heatsink reviews with them mounted on one of these modern Fx 8xxx heaters. For the money I feel the Phanteks is a better buy then the CM V8 and judging by the reviews I've seen that Cryorig that suppressor mentioned is also a very good buy.

Back