• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time using Thermal Compound for CPU/Heatsink tips needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s8n

Registered
hi members , ive bought a second hand Core 2 Duo and Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound they should be arriving soon.

I was wondering what method i should use with the Thermal Compound ..........

-Pea method
-Line method
-Cross method

let me know what i should do and any things to avoid

I use the dot - dab - dab method

basically a tiny dot in the middle, then miunte dabs about 3mm from the corners.

also depends on the heatsink, if its flat or got lines through like direct touch.

some pastes are more thicker than others so harder to spread so a line may be better.

I find the cross method to use too much paste, less is more.

AVOID GETTING IT IN THE PINS!

I use the pea method then spead with a card. What's more important than method is quantity, to much or to little hinders the transfer of heat.

Pea or peanut,second important thing is,make sure you re-attach your heatsink neat and tight,that is making thermal paste spread nice and evenly where its needed.Have fun...

thanks for your knowledge and tips guys..........

i got another question , when the paste has been applied and all put back together can i turn on the PC straight away and test it out ?

or is there some sort of wait ?

I use the same DOT dab dab method (looks like the 5 on a dice).

That said, go to MFG website and read how to apply the paste. They have instructions.

CC method leaves tons of air bubbles but used to use that just fine.

You can power it straight away. The paste does cure a bit in time and your temps will get a little better. But no worries.

TIM_Before_Spread.jpg

I used to use a razor blade and spread it out thin, then seat it at a slight angle myself I guess.

But I've always been odd.

Haven't reseated on here in awhile I guess.

Those using the razer or pre spread method... look a this vid (about 2M in is the prespread method):

Those using the razer or pre spread method... look a this vid (about 2M in is the prespread method):

Wow that's pretty crazy. I wonder if the air bubble get trapped under the paste when spread out and "surface" under pressure.

Thanks E_D, I may reconcider my technique.

I've tried nearly every method.

All of them produce the same results.

Do whatever you want. Really. As long as it spreads out nice, and has sufficient contact area, and you didn't use too much that it's spilling over into the CPU socket, you're fine.

To the people talking about "too much is an insulator"... When you mount the HSF to the chip, in every case, whether you use too much or too little or just right, you will be left with the same thickness of film between the HSF and the chip. The pressure from the mount will push out any excess. It's not like the layer will be thicker and make the HSF stand up off the chip higher or anything.

hi members , ive bought a second hand Core 2 Duo and Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound they should be arriving soon.

I was wondering what method i should use with the Thermal Compound ..........

-Pea method
-Line method
-Cross method

let me know what i should do and any things to avoid

With Intel CPUs the line method is best.

IIRC, two vertical lines (case mounted) with the heatpipes also in that orientation. (IE blowing out hte rear exhaust)

With sandyB heatpipes crosswise (IE heatsink fans blowing up and down) was best, and IIRC the Ivy bridge orientation was even more severe (5+C) but same as Sandy B. Might need to double check that though as I do not currently nor have I had an Intel setup with heatpipes in a long time. I tend to be a pump and dump learner to make room for more info :attn: (the fact that I know orientation matters is enough, since I can google it when i need it)

EDIT: here is a retention bonus. Archer did orientation testing on IB.

i just use a pea size and slap on the heat sink and fan combo...I have never had any problem, I guess it doesn't really matter to much of your method, just don't scar the heat sink or CPU with a razor blade and you will be ok

i just use a pea size and slap on the heat sink and fan combo...I have never had any problem, I guess it doesn't really matter to much of your method, just don't scar the heat sink or CPU with a razor blade and you will be ok

TIM_Before_Spread.jpg

I used to try the spreading method and my temps were terrible.
Recently I switched to the pea method and my temps have changed so much.
I am using a Sandybridge chip.
Needless to say, I will keep using the pea method from now on.

Back