• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time with DICE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't use that pot, personally.
A tiny change in turning it is going to equal a huge voltage change!
Even if you're stuck with a dubious quality Radioshack trimmer, get a trimmer.
A trimmer has 10 to 30 turns from 0ohms to 10k ohms, as opposed to 0.8 turns.

Once you get a wire soldered on there, smother the solder point in hot glue. Looks ugly as hell, but protects the solderjob :D

Ok well after two attempts to make this connection I know that I do not have the skill to remake this connection.... Im not sure if its even possible at this point..

badsolder.jpg

looks like you took that mod a little to quick bro :(! slow down next time, you blasted right into that mod. you may get lucky and put a dab of solder on that bad pin. it looks like you actually bridged it as well :shrug:?

Ok so Im fully aware of what went wrong here. 1, I really needed to use thinner more flexible wire, 2. soldering iron I used was to hot I should have started with the paperclip method, 3. Once I had it the first time I shouldnt have pulled on it to "check" if it was attached.

My big hands are not good at the small stuff I knew that I should have someone do this for me before I started but oh well.
Lessons learned.

No connections have been bridged and the board is fully operational still at the lousy 1.5v that it comes stock limited. Im off to ebay to see If I can find an Epox or DFI for a reasonable price. I like this mobo but its just doesn't have as many bios options as I am used to having.

Ok so Im fully aware of what went wrong here. 1, I really needed to use thinner more flexible wire, 2. soldering iron I used was to hot I should have started with the paperclip method, 3. Once I had it the first time I shouldnt have pulled on it to "check" if it was attached.

My big hands are not good at the small stuff I knew that I should have someone do this for me before I started but oh well.
Lessons learned.

have you confirmed it is a goner for good :shrug:? if you have then you should work your way over to this thread :rofl:!

No its not dead just not volt modded.

The board is enroute to bobnovas evil laboratory for some seriously sinister modification. This has put a hold on my benching schedule but thats ok. Ive got some extra time to finish up other things Ive been putting off for a while.

I also purchased 7 more 939s last night. I should have one of each of the venice's by the end of the week, and most of the winchesters, the clawhammers and san diegos are being the hardest to find.

So an update! the A8N SLI is at bobnovas its being uncooperative as usual(such short ownership with such stories already....), I have a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D on its way to me now, hopefully it will be here for the weekend. Oh and I picked up an Asus A8N5X(Vanilla A8N) with a 2nd 3800+ manchester and a Geforce 7300 GT for a whopping $20 locally today. If the DFI doesnt make it here for the weekend I think this asus is going under my soldering iron... I learned several lessons from that last attempt at modding this board, so I am pretty sure I can handle it this time.

Im dying to get my benching station set back up. Hopefully bobnova will resurrect the A8N SLI and get the Vmod working, if thats the case I should be able to bench 3 cpus in a single session. I should be able to work through my queue of chips pretty fast that way.

I was very happy with bobnova's wirework on my 7800GT, great pricing and good turnaround. Too bad I cooked it.

Aww, that's too bad :(

Board either hates me, or died in transit. Not sure which, heh.
He's getting a refund and the board shipped back to him at my cost, and we'll go from there.

Ed go ahead and just recycle that board man. Its not worth any more stress to anyone. Well successful modding of the A8N5X tonight. Also have a DFI NF4 Ultra-D on its way in. So this weekend benching IS ON THE MENU! I have to clean up my space in the garage and rearrange it first but that shouldnt be an issue. If I get enough extra time to setup I might do a live stream but probably not. The previous owner of the new asus board might be comming by to see what overclocking is all about. If thats the case we will probably try and kill his A64 x2 3800+ since I have another one to replace it for my collection already.

I tossed my KV2 onto the cpu without any mounting HW or anything just to check if the vmod worked. I manually set the vcore to 1.2v in the bios and managed to dial it up to 1.7 before the temps made me stop testing how far it can go. So heres some pics.

img2281vn.jpg

img2280e.jpg

Ok well I benched both motherboards today. The x2 3800+ manchester I pull scores varying from #1 to #12. I showed the previous owner of the A8N5X how real over clockers roll.... lol.
The experience with the DFI lanparty and the opty 165 was somewhat dissapointing. I look forward to having another chance to play with it more.

img2282i.jpg

img2283vp.jpg

img2284k.jpg

img2291q.jpg

img2292ht.jpg

#4 is my buddy nate, and he actually crashed out while I was changing boards out. I had to fight with that DFI for 2 hours without a place to sit down. I am in the last pic and wide awake GO CAFFEINE! lol.

We cranked the volts all the way up to 2.0 but that manchester wouldnt run at over 1.87. I tried loading down one core with wPrime32 and that allowed me to get it up to 1.91 but it wouldn't stay stable for more than 4-5 seconds. We actually topped out at 1442mhz but we werent able to get a validation above 1386. I feel safe saying that this chip runs out of juice at 3400mhz since we maxed out right there with 9,9.5, and 10 multis at up to 1.9v

Last edited:
Back