• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Try Overclocking - Am I Safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chibigoat

First of all, my cpu is AMD Phenom II X6 1055t

I know I have liquid cooling but I have no clue what it is specifically.

This is my first try ever overclocking a cpu, I put it up to 3.5 ghz by watching a tutorial from youtube:

I started my PC back up and ran core temp just to see my general temperature and occt. I ran occt for only 10 minutes, 4 of those minutes being maxed out. I realize I should run it for probably an hour or so but I just want to test to make sure I didn't screw up already.. if you guys can tell from this basic information.

With that 4 minutes of maxing my CPU the temp maxed at 45C and my idle is 26-28C. As I type this it sits at 26C.

Does it SEEM like everything is running well? Core temp says my TjMax is 67C which I assume means that's the highest my cpu can safely go but that's just a guess.

Would I be safe as long as I personally monitor the temperature on my other monitor while I play games and such? Is there something else that could go wrong without me knowing other than the temperature?

Monitor your temps and voltages with HWMonitor and stress the CPU with 20 minutes of Prime95 blend. HWMonitor gives both core temps (the critical ones if they are accurate) and CPU temp (which is really CPU socket temp). These are the tools that are most used around here for checking temps and stability and it will be easier for us to help you if we are all on the same page.

Have HWMonitor open before you begin the test and leave it open during the test. After that 20 minute Prime95 test post back with pics attached of the HWMonitor interface. To attach pics, first crop and save to disc with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. The click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post window. When the Advanced post window pops up, click on the little paperclip too at the top. The rest will be obvious.

Your temps are probably fine. We recommend limiting "core" temps to the 55-60 range and CPU (socket) temps to about 70c. Those are safe temp but you may encounter temp-related instability a little before that.

Back