• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First WC Build. Advise needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnackySnack

Registered
Hello.

I have finally got the chance to build a new PC. You guys don't even know how long i've waited for this! :clap:

Im just wanting to check that my WC components are OK!
Im probobly going to expand the loop by cooling my GPU aswell in the future.

Here is some info:
- CPU: i7 4770K 3,5Ghz
- OC goal: Im probobly aiming for like 4,5Ghz OC
- Room temp: Mostly room temp is about 20 - 22C
- Case: Going to buy the Corsair Obsidian 750D

WC Components:
- Koolance CPU-380I
- Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360
- Laing D5 pump (Koolance PMP-450S)
- Photon 270 Reservoir
- PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 7/16 ID
- EK Compression Fittings
- Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-P Fans
- Cooling paste: Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-4

That's about it!
Any suggestions?
Thanks.:)

Last edited:
Welcome to OCFs.

What fluid and biocide will you be using? What knowledge do you have with the basics of maintaining and how water cooling works?

Overall your parts list looks good.

Welcome to OCFs.

What fluid and biocide will you be using? What knowledge do you have with the basics of maintaining and how water cooling works?

Overall your parts list looks good.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Im pretty new to water cooling but i have read pretty much of water cooling in the past couple of days. I think that im still a beginner in it.
Anyways as the fluid. I will be using distilled water and PT nuke. I have heard from many places that those pre-made liquid mixes are bad. I mean not bad but you need to do much more maintenance to your loop while using them.

Thanks for the quick answer!
Im pretty new to water cooling but i have read pretty much of water cooling in the past couple of days. I think that im still a beginner in it.
Anyways as the fluid. I will be using distilled water and PT nuke. I have heard from many places that those pre-made liquid mixes are bad. I mean not bad but you need to do much more maintenance to your loop while using them.

Yup that is correct. You'll also need to do a 6 month drain and refill and a annual tear down if you want it to be pristine clean. There are some that have gone years without doing anything.

Make sure you get the right radiators and fans as well as the measurements that said radiator will fit. It will also depend which FPI count you will want to go sync with said fans. Remember if you want a quiet build you will want low FPI rads, 8-12 roughly. Than the choice of some premium fans but if on a budget that can also be worked around.

As for the parts list, there are some newer gear out.

I would take a look at some of the more affordable blocks. Swiftech Apogee XL and XSPC RayStorm to name a few.

There are Photon 270 D5 combos out there as well.

Also for premium PWM quiet radiator fans, if you do go the low FPI route, the Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-P are some of the best out there if not the best at the time being.

Everything else looks good but be aware the massive size the Monsta rads are. You might need to go with a ST30 or ST45 with the 750D. Again, take your time and do measurements, for the MB's sake and make out sketches of how you want to plan out your loop as well for future reference say if you end up adding a GPU down the road to the loop. Shorter tube routing is advised but not mandatory.

+1, Mr. Bauer.
the koolance is a bit better than the raystorm, the ek blocks are top notch also, but the raystom just looks better doing it!!!

Thank you for the advise!
Im right away going to change the Monsta 480mm to 360mm since the 480mm wouldn't fit. (Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 360)

Anyways with the current components. I think it wouldn't be too loud? Im really looking for performance more than silence but the silence still is a pretty important thing for me. That's why i want my fans under 35dBA. But still with great CFM.

Those blocks are all with in a .5 +/- of each other. Just a few can be $20+ cheaper than the other. The new Swiftech XL CPU blocks are their cheapest they've ever sold I believe and they can be color customizable.

Also coming in acrylic.

1969317_624074671017751_6243016745926505565_n.jpg

They look really nice but I am not a fan when it comes to tightening compression fittings to acrylic. I like metal or acetal better but hey that's just me personally.

Those blocks are all with in a .5 +/- of each other. Just a few can be $20+ cheaper than the other. The new Swiftech XL CPU blocks are their cheapest they've ever sold I believe and they can be color customizable.

Also coming in acrylic.

1969317_624074671017751_6243016745926505565_n.jpg

They look really nice but I am not a fan when it comes to tightening compression fittings to acrylic. I like metal or acetal better but hey that's just me personally.

Indeed... Those would look pretty damn nice with my other parts. Especially the red one. I still think im going to stick with the Koolance 380i :p I personally like it very much. I have read so much positive stuff of it.

Thank you for the advise!
Im right away going to change the Monsta 480mm to 360mm since the 480mm wouldn't fit. (Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 360)

Anyways with the current components. I think it wouldn't be too loud? Im really looking for performance more than silence but the silence still is a pretty important thing for me. That's why i want my fans under 35dBA. But still with great CFM.

The water cooling industry to me is going towards silence as well. Gone are the days of 3k+ fans and high FPI (20-30+) rads. The new is low RPM fans and low FPI thick rads. The more heat surface the merrier.

Don't forget, its not about CFM. It's about static pressure. CFM is a greatly used measurement for case fans and case airflow etc.

Again, remember the Monsta rads are 80mm thick. I don't think you'll be able to fit that up top (120.3) on the 750D while clearing the MB. Add another 25mm for the fan and another 25mm at a total of 50mm + 80mm if you go push and pull. The front should fit a 120.2 no problem. I would actually add that to the loop to get it out of the way for now if you're definitely sure you will be adding the GPU(s) to the loop down the road or sooner rather than later.

Indeed... Those would look pretty damn nice with my other parts. Especially the red one. I still think im going to stick with the Koolance 380i :p I personally like it very much. I have read so much positive stuff of it.

The Swiftech XLs, they come with interchangeable color filters. They are all the same block. You can change the color to it if needed with the same CPU kit.

380i no doubt is a great CPU WB. Just make sure you don't go 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD compression fittings. If I recall correctly, when I was going to purchase this WB originally, I found that I couldn't use them because they would be hitting each other. I than went with the Apogee HD since it had ample room in between the threaded holes.

Last edited:
The water cooling industry to me is going towards silence as well. Gone are the days of 3k+ fans and high FPI (20-30+) rads. The new is low RPM fans and low FPI thick rads. The more heat surface the merrier.

Don't forget, its not about CFM. It's about static pressure. CFM is a greatly used measurement for case fans and case airflow etc.

Again, remember the Monsta rads are 80mm thick. I don't think you'll be able to fit that up top (120.3) on the 750D while clearing the MB. Add another 25mm for the fan and another 25mm at a total of 50mm + 80mm if you go push and pull. The front should fit a 120.2 no problem. I would actually add that to the loop to get it out of the way for now if you're definitely sure you will be adding the GPU(s) to the loop down the road or sooner rather than later.

The Swiftech XLs, they come with interchangeable color filters. They are all the same block. You can change the color to it if needed with the same CPU kit.

380i no doubt is a great CPU WB. Just make sure you don't go 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD compression fittings. If I recall correctly, when I was going to purchase this WB originally, I found that I couldn't use them because they would be hitting each other. I than went with the Apogee HD since it had ample room in between the threaded holes.

Okay thanks!

What about the Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm? thats 60mm thick.
Also thanks for the WB tip. I will go then for 7/16 ID x 5/8 tubes and fittings.

What about the Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm? thats 60mm thick.

That will be your homework assignment. :D Look at the case specs and look around at many other 750D builds. Might give you ideas to redefine your plans and resort to better positioning.

Let me be clear, I think the Monsta would not fit up top. I could be wrong but knowing the sheer size of the radiator and looking at a few case pics of the 750D to where the positioning of the rear fan is tells me there's not much room up there. I could be wrong but you'll need to figure that out, respectfully.

Also thanks for the WB tip. I will go then for 7/16 ID x 5/8 tubes and fittings.

:salute:

That will be your homework assignment. :D Look at the case specs and look around at many other 750D builds. Might give you ideas to redefine your plans and resort to better positioning.

Let me be clear, I think the Monsta would not fit up top. I could be wrong but knowing the sheer size of the radiator and looking at a few case pics of the 750D to where the positioning of the rear fan is tells me there's not much room up there. I could be wrong but you'll need to figure that out, respectfully.

:salute:

Haha Thanks!

^^^^Also check out the new XSPC RX ver 3 Radiators....there 56mm thick...so slightly less than the UT60, but a little more than the XT45 ;)

if you look at martins review, you'll find that the St30, Xt45 and UT60 are not that far apart , performance wise
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/04/15/alphacool-nexxxos-xt45-360-radiator/

When it comes to the monsta... 80 + 25mm+25mm = 130mm thick you HAVE to go push/pull on the monsta and preferably wiht GOOD high SP fans like the Noiseblocker eLOOP or some Delta's or SanAce's. You might get away with a Push or a Pull 25mm FAn, but only if you are willing to go "noisy" like Delta. And even then, you'ld be better with a 38mm fan. But you are still talking 105mm or 118mm .
Most "WC-ready" case have about 70mm before you hit something like VRM heatsink or RAM. I *think* the 750 has approx 80-85mm. So, an XT45 or a UT60... you really have to measure how much space before you hit VRM HS or RAM.

And drop the Glidestreams. Go for good fans: Noiseblocker eLoop PWM or the Phobya/Alphacool eLoop voltage clones.
If you're on a budget.. Swiftech Helix fans - good rad fans, (much) cheaper as Noiseblocker.

If you are willing to do some hunting, and purchase from fleabay. You CAN find good deals on Delta, San Ace, Sunon, etc fans. I have purchased 2 different cases of Deltas at different times and never had any issues. I don't have them handy but I have 1 case of 120x38s and another of 120x25s.

I have used both types on different WCed rigs (CPU and GPU loop through a 3x120 rad) in a push/pull config with no complaints. I have them controlled via a fan controller but RARELY have to ramp them to full speed. I couldnt even begin to guess at who made the rads I am using. I am not really the "norm" though, most people with watercooling seem to try to go for quiet, unobtrusive builds for their bedroom/HTPC rigs. I prefer to just use server grade screamers on a fan controller so that I have lots of headroom if needed but don't HAVE to run full speed 24/7.

After doing some research i've found that the UT60 will fit in the case + 25mm fans which is a total of 85mm. Im going to take the UT60 as my radiator. Anyways i think that now all my parts are ok! Thank you again!

After doing some research i've found that the UT60 will fit in the case + 25mm fans which is a total of 85mm. Im going to take the UT60 as my radiator. Anyways i think that now all my parts are ok! Thank you again!

:salute: Glad it worked out. Keep it going. It only gets more fun. :D

Back