• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fitting 2x140mm fans in the front of a Cooler Master HAF X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Can you fit 2x140mm fans in the front of a Cooler Master HAF X case?

Yes you can! It doesn't require any real modifications, but you will need to remove the hot-swap bay from the bottom. Bit of a tight fit for the fans, as you can just wedge them between the little "shelves" that normally support optical drives, but it's probably safer to secure them with some zip ties just to make sure they stay put.

This was actually just something I was curious about when I bought my Cooler Master HAF X. I knew that my HAF 922 and my 690 II Advanced could fit one 140mm fan in the 5.25" bay area for more airflow to the CPU socket area and RAM. A 140mm fan takes up just a bit more than three bays in height, in case anyone is wondering. It looks like it might be possible to fit a 240mm radiator into the 5.25" bay area, though I can't confirm that as I don't have one handy to check. But, a 280mm radiator definitely won't fit into the 5.25" bay area, as there isn't any extra space to fit the radiator (as they tend to be larger than the 140mm fans that go onto them).

So, if you need to add ridiculous amounts of airflow to your HAF X case, it can be done; although, it is at the cost of the ability to install an optical drive, fan controller, or other device that requires a 5.25" bay.

DSCN3071 cropped.JPG

Last edited:
Did the same on my HAF 922. Same setup, but with only one added fan. I really like cooler master's "HAF" cases.

Did the same on my HAF 922. Same setup, but with only one added fan. I really like cooler master's "HAF" cases.

For the price you pay they should have more refinementon the HAF full towers. Wire management grommets (HAF 932), modular HDD cages, dust filters (especially.)

With 10cm more fan area my GPU/HDD temps actually are worse in the 932 advanced than compared to the NZXT Source 210 I was using. The 210 had 6x120 fans, 3 intake, 3 exhaust. Now I am using the 230mm front intake, a 120mm bottom intake, 2x120 top exhaust, and 140mm rear exhaust. I blame the poor airflow on the HDD cage design, and despite CM saying you can put 2x120's in place of the 230mm fan mine seems to only have mounting provisions for 1. Dollar for dollar, and feature for feature I couldn't recommend the 932 Advanced or the HAF X to anyone.

Comparing the HAF X and HAF 932 to something like a Corsair 750D I can't possibly see the justification in spending 10 or 20 dollars more :shrug: (I only have the 932 Advanced because it was 57 shipped used from ebay)

When I was building my rig I actually wanted a Corsair Carbide 500R (White) but they were ~$130 at the time, whereas the CM was well-rated at $100.

Back