• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fittings for rigid tubing sizes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yousif666

Registered
Hi

My new Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5930
GPU 2x EVGA GTX 980
MB: Asus Rog extreme x99
RAM: Corsair Dominator 2666 DDR4
PSU: Seasonic 1000W
HDD: 500Gb Samsung evo pro SSD, 2x 3TB WD black
CASE: Corsair 900D

Water cooling parts:

- 2x 480 black ice SR2/GTX rads ( still didn't decided)
- D5 pump don't matter what brand.
- Rigid tubing clear still didn't decided from witch company.
- CPU: EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block (Original CSQ) - Nickel/Acetal
- GPU: 2x EK-FC980 GTX Waterblock for Nvidia 980 GTX - Nickel/Plexi
- Fans: Corsair SP120 or AF120 quite edition (still searching)
- Tube res 170m/200m EK or primochill still looking.
- Fittings and connectors??? (rigid compression fittings of course)
- Coolant: distilled water+Mayhem pastel blue.

Water cooling: 2 Gpus + CPU

I am planning my water cooling for the first time, so i decided to go with rigid tubing, i know its not easy for first timers but i am welling to learn and do it the best i can, all i see is 1/4 sizes ID 3/8, OD 1/2 what i don't understand is if i wanted to add connectors or splitters, some times like the pump there is only 1 size for it, so i have to add for example 1/2 to 1/4 like that, so how i can determine how many connector i will be needing? the fittings are fine i will choose bit power or monson but as i saw the bit power has more options and rotary in fittings and connectors, so perhaps i will go with bit power.

So now, the fittings i know how many i will get by deciding for how many holes i will be using, but the connectors for example from the pump and split to 2 rads or 3 this is what i am worrying about, a lot of sizes i have to measure, how i can make it easier for my self because i am kind of confused:screwy:

Last edited:
Simple ...... pick your tubing then use the fittings from that manufacturer for that particular tubing. In my case I used the Primochill Acrylic and their fittings ..... everything fit and no guessing needed.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...e_-_1x_36_Single_-_White.html?tl=g30c633s2020

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...-_4_Pack_-_Anodized_Blue.html?tl=g30c409s2019

To be honest i never thought of taking the fittings and the acrylic tube from the same company, because there are products not all companies make good in every product for example a company that makes rads,fittings,cpu and gpu blocks i don't have to buy all from 1 company, there are quality differences in them, as i read for fittings bit power are the best to use but now it seems that a lot of companies do good fittings too like monson and primochill.

Yousiff, I would take the time in reading our water cooling stickies. I am not sure you generally understand it all yet. Have a few reads of what it takes to maintain a loop. I am sure it would change your perspective on a few things. (Color fluid/rigid tubing)

Yousiff, I would take the time in reading our water cooling stickies. I am not sure you generally understand it all yet. Have a few reads of what it takes to maintain a loop. I am sure it would change your perspective on a few things. (Color fluid/rigid tubing)

Actually i did read the stickies, but some information are old, and there are no enough info on rigid tubings and for the pastel i did my research on it.

Ok well, rigid tubing is more for show rigs just as is color tubing. For one, rigid tubing is a pain to work with let alone the hassle of doing maintenance or upgrading components. Any color fluids will gunk up and stain your stuff if you're not cleaning and rinsing it apart every 2-3 months.

If I was you, I would stick with distilled water + biocide and colored tubing. If you still want to go ahead with your original plan, by all means go ahead. Its your build and funds.

If you plan to mix and match ...... be careful. I can tell you from reading around that not all ridged tubing even 1/2" spec is exactly the same for example the Primochill tube I linked is not the same as the BP Tube ..... if you don't get a good seal you stand the chance of loosing allot of gear. It is VERY HIGHLY RECOMENDED you stick to matching sets in this case. What GTXJackBrauer stated is very true ...... I built a build with the ridged tubing ..... it is a pain to work with and can be touchy and crack very easily if you are inside your case moving parts or wires around. If you still go this route make sure you have the components you need in your system as simply changing your CPU will require a complete draining and tear down to do so, make sure you have an easy way to drain your loop built into the system.

Ok well, rigid tubing is more for show rigs just as is color tubing. For one, rigid tubing is a pain to work with let alone the hassle of doing maintenance or upgrading components. Any color fluids will gunk up and stain your stuff if you're not cleaning and rinsing it apart every 2-3 months.

If I was you, I would stick with distilled water + biocide and colored tubing. If you still want to go ahead with your original plan, by all means go ahead. Its your build and funds.

To be honest with you, why i thought of rigid tubing is for 1 thing is does not stain if you do maintenance every 6-1 year not like the soft tubing, and the acrylic tubing does not show color changing like the soft tubing from what i read before that rigid tubing is a lot better than soft tubing but hard to work with.

If you plan to mix and match ...... be careful. I can tell you from reading around that not all ridged tubing even 1/2" spec is exactly the same for example the Primochill tube I linked is not the same as the BP Tube ..... if you don't get a good seal you stand the chance of loosing allot of gear. It is VERY HIGHLY RECOMENDED you stick to matching sets in this case. What GTXJackBrauer stated is very true ...... I built a build with the ridged tubing ..... it is a pain to work with and can be touchy and crack very easily if you are inside your case moving parts or wires around. If you still go this route make sure you have the components you need in your system as simply changing your CPU will require a complete draining and tear down to do so, make sure you have an easy way to drain your loop built into the system.

Yes i have planned all this, i know it will require me to drain the loop even in soft tubing its the same, i chose rigid for the looks and no changing in color as fast as soft tubing.

please correct me if i am wrong.

I chose the Primochill rigid tubing and for the fittings i will choose primochill too, but for the CPU block and GPU there are in/out the in is bigger than the out, so this is what confuses me, the tubing size is ID 3/8 OD 1/2 the fittings are the same, for the cpu block its 1/4 EK how i can understand what fitting i will need for the IN, it also goes the same to the GPU blocks and rads they are all 1/4 thread.

The fittings for all modern blocks and rad specifically made for computer water cooling will have G 1/4 thread this is the standard. That is what the fittings have to screw I to the block. Unless you have bought something very unique that uses different thread.

An example of a rigid tubing fitting

Bitspower_BP-MBEML_pic1lable.jpg

The threading that is used to attach to water blocks, pumps, other fittings etc is G1/4 size. This is the near universal size used on all water cooling parts. The size of the thread is independent of the size of fitting and tubing.

The fitting is sized to use tubing that is 12mm Outside diameter. Any tube that size will work, but the standard bitspower tubing is 10mm inner diameter.
There is also 16mm OD size
Other brands of tubing and fittings use 1/2" OD or 5/8" OD

You just need to match the tubing size to the fitting size and with some of the brands its better to use their own tubing with their fittings because they don't stick to actual measured sizes real well.

Hard tubing is not for beginners and I've seen many give up in frustration. It does however work really well and eliminates the plasticiser gunking problem that many blame on coloured fluids. High quality dyed coolants are nothing to be scared of, they just require more work to clean out after being used for a long period of time.

Last edited:
An example of a rigid tubing fitting

View attachment 158949

The threading that is used to attach to water blocks, pumps, other fittings etc is G1/4 size. This is the near universal size used on all water cooling parts. The size of the thread is independent of the size of fitting and tubing.

The fitting is sized to use tubing that is 12mm Outside diameter. Any tube that size will work, but the standard bitspower tubing is 10mm inner diameter.
There is also 16mm OD size
Other brands of tubing and fittings use 1/2" OD or 5/8" OD

You just need to match the tubing size to the fitting size and with some of the brands its better to use their own tubing with their fittings because they don't stick to actual measured sizes real well.

Hard tubing is not for beginners and I've seen many give up in frustration. It does however work really well and eliminates the plasticiser gunking problem that many blame on coloured fluids. High quality dyed coolants are nothing to be scared of, they just require more work to clean out after being used for a long period of time.

Thanks for explaining, but what confuses me are the fittings themselves, for example see here

Rigid Revolver Compression G1/4" Fitting to 3/8" x 1/2
http://www.performance-pcs.com/rigi...-straight-knurled-coupler-anodized-black.html

and here Rigid Revolver Compression Fitting 3/8" x 1/2"

http://www.performance-pcs.com/rigi...2-diamond-knurled-10-pack-anodized-black.html

now if i buy the second one it will fit in the cpu/gpu blocks and the rest of the system? like rads/res?? because i still don't understand the difference between the two!. the first one says G 1/4 witch i think it is for rads,res,cpu and gpu blocks and the second is for what exactly?

I will buy primochill rigid tubing this is why i will get primochill fittings,

Sorry but this is the only thing that is confusing me, once i understand it i have the Go ahead.

Thanks.

The first one has a female thread and the second has a male thread. The male thread are the ones you want for most things because all other parts like blocks, radiators etc have female g1/4 threads.

As it shows in the pictures the female thread ones are used for connecting to other fittings.

I see Preformance CPU has a new website ....... can't say I like it very much there old site was better in my opinion.

I think what you are looking at there is a typo that some web designer that doesn't understand the difference between ridged and regular compression fittings ...... here is a link to the same product at Frozen CPU ..... notice there is no mention of Inside diameter.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2..._10_Pack_-_Anodized_Blue.html?tl=c409s2019b46

Will a bitpowers 90 or 45 degree rigid fitting will fit fine in primochill rigid tubing? Because from what I read that some rigid tubings don't fit well with other fittings that are not from the same company.

So will i face that problem?

Thanks

Will a bitpowers 90 or 45 degree rigid fitting will fit fine in primochill rigid tubing? Because from what I read that some rigid tubings don't fit well with other fittings that are not from the same company.

Thanks

Yeah, as mentioned, you need to match fitting size with tubing size. Bitspower and EK are Metric sized and Primochill / Monsoon are Imperial sized. So obviously they won't work together without modification.

Save yourself some money ..... get a heat gun and carefully heat and bend your tubing. There are plenty of tutorials out there and is not that hard to do with a bit of planning. The BP crystal link tube and fittings are smaller then the primochill by about 1mm - 1.5mm this goes back to the beginning mixing and matching Ridged tubing is not a good idea.

Thanks

Bitspower fittings and tube are Metric and Primochill are imperial, so you can't mix them just like you cant mix metric and imperial nuts and bolts. They are different sizes.

Back