• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flushing heater cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimijames

so i decided to flush out my heater cores today and this is what i keep getting (flushing with distilled water and vinegar) 20141110_161651.jpg cant seem to get clear water flowing through the rads, any thoughts? are these heater cores good no more? should i keep them or scrap them:? any help would be apreciated thx

Is your rad copper or aluminum? Vinegar is an acid so you may be viewing some reaction results; and you may try flushing with either only distilled water or get a radiator flush compound from an auto supply store. Several manufacturers for them so they're cheap and work well enough in vehicles that you should get good results on your PC cooling.

vinegar will dissolve oxidized copper and that kind of looks a little like copper oxide. stop using the vinegar and flush with water (even tap water is fine just save some distilled to flush that out with once any gunk/junk is out of it). radiator flush should also work just fine to rid you of this issue without any issues that vinegar may cause.

Back