• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding farm sized (ie multi cpu) cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
o ya... that was the one in the garage... there is another that was burried....who did that... cant remember...rogerdugans ??

edit:
ill try to kick this around more as i go to sleep tonight (best ideas seem to come to me then) and more tomorrow.
we'll cool you down one way or the other Pete ;)

:beer:

Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about Joe, I don't
remember either. :shrug:

That should give an idea of what things are to come from this project.

I hope that doesn't scare ya away though. :D

:beer:

thanks warrior, joe, silver, all :)

... looks like 3/4" copper is the way to go.

I am thinking i might just do a test run with the 2 waterblocks i have and just run a shallow trench out the back window. Mount those 2 rigs on the top shelf so there is no head loss and run the 2 pumps i have now ... modded mpc350 and a brand new 655. Maybe just leave one of the dual core rads on the loop and bury it too!
To see how many feet of copper i need to cool a 920 and an 830. I guess start with 1 then add the second.

Might try it this weekend ... I need to do some yard work anyway :D

Have a big tree out the back so will need to find a route to avoid roots and my buried power supply. The ground should be thawed so still cool enough i don't need to go deep to test.

This would be a good time to put in an inground sprinkler system. Then the wife would not know what i was up to :D

-aDaM^ said:
if you're rich I have an idea.

16 x Apogee waterblocks
5 x BIX-3
15 x Delta SHEs
Lots of 1/2" Tubing
3 x Iwaki 30MRZ i think, cant remember.

Well I aint rich ... and after a bit more research i will get a Apogee to try out.

I am gonna compare it to the 6002 and storm that i already have.

For some reason, when i last shopped for water stuff, I though the apogee was more expensive than the storm ... but i just checked and my local place is 30% less for the apogee. Given that it appears to be less restrictive then it might just be the right choice.

I will get one so i can do a 1-1 comparison. Then probably a few more so i can see how it scales. Hopefully I can also negotiate a volume discount :D

But am definitely leaning towards a geothermal setup so i don't have to use 32 delta's :bang head

Read the article and found it interesting. Your efficiency I would think would easily exceed the efficiency of the article. By a factor of what I do not know. I would like to see the thread continue especially in regards to multiple processor cooling through geothermal means.

I will keep it going as i work through my iterative design, build, test process (something we also do in the application software contruction process at work).

I think i will start with a simple 40' round trip 3/4" copper loop this weekend and start with 1 830 DC rig through it on the idle 6002 and 655 pump i have.

I will try remember to get some ground temp measurements ... ground surface temps should still be cool here ... i suppose a lot cooler than yours.

I am only going to bury it around 1' for testing ... in a trench 1' wide and the 2 runs 1' apart - trench 20' long. I suppose topsoil density will matter too but i am not going to become a soil expert too :D or so i think now :shrug:

Would really like to see the heat exchanger. BTW (and I'm sure most know this except for me :) ) 52F (11c but can vary between 11c and 22c (72f) and/or thereabouts depending on varying factors at 4 foot. Of course air temp soil type, etc. would be the variance. Now, to size one for real. Need btu on cpu. Say 200w converted to BTU, what is the value?

From reading, energy through geo would easily cool a home with just a very small overall use of the underground yard area. Horizontal not being the only option. Have to convert 200w to btu value.

pscout said:
Well I aint rich ... and after a bit more research i will get a Apogee to try out.

I am gonna compare it to the 6002 and storm that i already have.

For some reason, when i last shopped for water stuff, I though the apogee was more expensive than the storm ... but i just checked and my local place is 30% less for the apogee. Given that it appears to be less restrictive then it might just be the right choice.

I will get one so i can do a 1-1 comparison. Then probably a few more so i can see how it scales. Hopefully I can also negotiate a volume discount :D

But am definitely leaning towards a geothermal setup so i don't have to use 32 delta's :bang head

ya, the Apogee is one of the least restrictive blocks!

Joe Camel said:
NP man, im here to help :D

(im sorry about "ragging" on you in other threads... its just i like to get some info out of others posts...know what i mean? ;))

np :) I think thats when I went on a Forum whoring Rampage to get my 6 stars :eh?:

How deep and long will my trenches be?
Trenches are normally four to six feet deep and up to 400 feet long, depending on how many pipes are in a trench. One of the advantages of a horizontal loop system is being able to lay the trenches according to the shape of the land. As a rule of thumb, 500-600 feet of pipe is required per ton of system capacity. A well-insulated 2,000 square-foot home would need about a three-ton system with 1,500 - 1,800 feet of pipe.

I'm finding what I can. Limited knowledge in the field is not helping. How much would be needed is anyones geuss. I know my seven layer case can just about knock out the heater in the winter in my 25 X 25 livingroom. One would surmise that to be 625 square feet (relating to the above) and a very rough geuss would be 468.75 to 562.5 feet of pipe (again variances in mositure content, soil type, air temp allowing for the variance). This of course does not allow for the heat off the psu's. I would geuss the heat off the mobo to be nominal.

Joe, just to get a round figure, used your link (thank you) and came up with 10,000 btu/hr equals 2,930 watts.

horizontal piping would also have the advantage of less head loss due to "altitude" change ;)

also a lot easier for the "average" person to obtain equipment capable of digging a 4'-6' deep trench 200' long vs a 200' deep hole.

edit: :bang head
head loss: closed loop.. no loss...water up = water down :bang head

Last edited:
I came up with 544 feet on my living room (which is extremely rough). Using the 'slinky' form of laying it horizontal, a trench 4 foot deep and 179.52 foot long would provide the cooling capacity required. This of course takes into consideration the 'entire' heat put out by the seven mobos, monitor, routers, etc. in order to heat the 625 square foot room.

edit: goofed on the total footage. Did confirm this with other sites (derived) and is consistant with the posting above in number of feet required.

Piping would be polyethylene and the conversion (read efficiency) of copper piping was not taken into consideration.

Last edited:
Back