• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding farm sized (ie multi cpu) cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
EXCELLENT point !!

another point...
since we are really only shooting to match current cooling performance, we've got some room to work with when it comes to flow / performance here...

Joe Camel said:
another point...
since we are really only shooting to match current cooling performance, we've got some room to work with when it comes to flow / performance here...

Yes, I am not expecting to raise any OC's with this. I will be happy if i can maintain current OC's and don't need to fiddle them as the summer heat comes and goes.

Well, I am behind the 8 ball already today after a power outage. an 8 port kvm and an 8 port switch gave me some trouble. retired the 8 port switch ... it was on old smc ... doesn't seem to like to auto-negotiate with the newer yukon ethernets on the newest asus mobos - swapped it with a new $20 one that seems to work better.

oh the joys of farming :bang head

Time to go shopping for some copper :) I want to get the first rig going geothermal this weekend!

pscout said:
Time to go shopping for some copper :) I want to get the first rig going geothermal this weekend!
well sheet guy, this weekend is almost over already ;)

good luck :thup:

this WILL be a good test, as you can try to add rigs till this loop cant take it and thus give you (us) an idea of capacity to loop length ratio :)

ill try to do a few general diagrams @ work today... 16x rigs (WBs) in FINAL loop? (right?)

EDIT:

IF THESE DONT SHOW UP TOMORROW, I WILL RE-HOST!

1loop
geothermal1loop2ba.jpg

2loop
geothermal2loop5ck.jpg

(the "cold" loop needs to be > the flow of the "hot" loop and the RES must be designed so that only COLD water gets pumped through the "hot" loop)

Last edited:
Most excellant Joe. :thup:

But I think if a "Res." is used on #2, pump placement
may want to be moved as to "suck" from the Res.

That way you not trying to push water through it.

and the res would have to be split, as not to pull in
the "hot" water before it goes through the cooling loop.
Or remove the hot water dumping into it.

:attn:

Last edited:
A res will not be needed. You will have more than sufficant capicaty in the volume of the system alone.

A simple T fill port will allow for filling, bleeding, and monitoring of the coolant.

pscout said:

Copper pipe is rather expensive.

You should look into trying to find as much scrap as you can, and digging the hole as deep as possible.

I think it should be rather easy to find lots of small sections of pipe, theprice of fittings will kill you.

If that doesn't digging the hole certinaly might.

ok, finally got the shopping done. RL sure interferes with this folding and hvac stuff!

3/4" copper aint cheap but not much more than 1/2".
Will tally the costs up later, right now the CC is keeping track of it :eek:
If i get ambitious when I expand it i will try some other cheaper materials.

As to scap sources, for now i am trading the $ for my time. I have a boat in the driveway to get some rigging done to and a ton of yardwork. Just to mention a few things on my non-folding to do list.

Fishy, ya i know i dont really need a res but i figured i would be filling and draining this a few times before i am done so it should make things easier. Having had the joy of priming water lines every spring at the cottage with long lines it should go easier. 5' in my current wc rig does not seem the same as filling 50' of line. Will certainly be easier than the cottage with nearly 200' of 1 1/4" pickup line to prime over uneven ground.
/edit And thinking about this, it is some overkill since the cottage stuff is presurized to 40 lbs. There really is not mich priming here with the pump adjacent to the water supply. But it will be a lot easier to pour a lot of water into a res than a t line.

Picked up a few ball type 1/2" valves for the lines on the rig. They take a bit of force to turn on/off but they will not create any flow restriction when open.

Nice diagrams guys ... now all i need is a supervisor for my construction steps. :bang head

We'll see if i get ambitious to do some digging tonight. Pity my neighbours aren't closer ... would surely get some curious stares digging at night :D

Time to assemble the res and solder the copper.

Last edited:
No digging tonight ... just leak testing now on tap water.

some pics of pump and res

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/9682/closeuppumres1ra.jpg

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/1531/watertestres8gt.jpg

I am kinda klutzy with this pic stuff ... i guess i will get better/faster with practice :eek:

The res is just some 4" abs drainage stuff ... the top section screws in to make it larger for filling ... once filled it unscrews and the cap beside it screws in to close it up.

The pump had never been run ... is powered off a scsi tower i have sitting around.

Used a 3/4" wood bit for the 5/8" barbs since i didn't have a large enough machine bit. Melted the bottom first hole a bit. Went slower on the top one and it is very clean. ... not perfectly straight but close. Done in a $40 drill press.

The 5'8" barbs are just self threaded into the hole ... no sealant and no leaks! Seems quite strong ... the 4" abs is 1/4" thick.

not bad for the first res i ever made. Just a cap glued onto a cleanout fitting.

Will probably add a petcock for drainage.

Will take some more pics tommorrow of the copper ground loop ... and the trench ... once i dig it!

how much copper pipe (feet) are you going to bury? (3/4" Dia?)

what config (shape)?

edit:
damn i LOVE "the build"... almost as much fun as "the plan" :)
be scared. be VERY scared once i learn DIY phase change :attn:

i bought 4 12' lengths of 3/4" ... cut off 4' on 2 of them so i can replace the initial above ground braided vinyl with buried 4' lengths later. They will go through a metal window well straight to the res & pump.

Wanted to keep lengths to multiples of 10' so i can still do math in my head :eek: ... so it will be a total of 40' of 3/4" initially.

Will see how it handles 1 830, then add another.

The local guy was out of apogees till monday so will add a second 830 during the week.

Last edited:
40' ... that adds up to A LOT of surface area :D

i bet 1x 830 wont do JACK to your "no load" water temps!!

now GO TO BED, you've got a long day of digging ahead of you tomorrow!! :p

(many many pics please :beer: )

EDIT
after watching the weather report tonight, it looks like you've (ive) got a FEW more days B4 the.."sHEAT hits the fan"... or ground in your case. (and window AC in my case)

Last edited:
since i know how hard Pete is working on this i figured id do a little work too...

how about a little "home-work" on: pump and water block performance ?

using this:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/flow_rate_volume.htm
and this:
http://www.cecomp.com/pressure_conversion.htm

i re-did a few graphs and pulled together some info on WB's

(this is a Laing D4)
d4pumppsigpm8gq.jpg

and then tried to plot that graph into this one:

and thus, you can pull some #'s from this graph :D

gpmtotemp6lr.jpg

NOTE: this is a 80W heat load... MUCH smaller than a 920 @ 4 GHz !!!!

OK, now lets look @ some different pump options...

if you go back to the original, you will have a reference point while looking @ Cathar's different pump graphs:
(his pump graphs are piloted against a Cascade WB + double heater core + some tubing)
(the Cascade was a more restrictive WB than the Storm and there is no RAD or tubing involved in the above graphs)

chartbig8um.jpg

cascadefullvs1xpumps26qh.jpg

cascadexvs2xpumps22tq.jpg

GOOD LUCK Pete!!!

hope you (all) learnd a little (too) ;)

---------

all graphs from here:
http://www.systemcooling.com/review_index.html
and
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=10825

Joe Camel said:
40' ... that adds up to A LOT of surface area :D
I threw some #'s in the good old calculator, and it comes to around 2262 square inches... it is a good amount :D

Look forward to pics and results. Best of luck!

getting closer

Well, It aint running yet but it is closer.

Spent some time measuring things before burial ... I guess it was also an excuse to put off the dig :eek:.

Setup was res->pump->4' of 1/2" tubing->41' of 3/4" copper->bucket ... all roughly level except start and end of copper lines go into 9" of 1/2" copper at a 60 degree (see pic 1).

First I measured the flow rate without the 6002 in line and got 13 l/min or 3.42 us gpm

Then added the 6002 and about 1.5' of 1/2" vinyl and got 3.55 l/min or .94 us gpm. This seems kind of low?

It got dark by the time i remembered to take any pics but here they are of the copper loop laid approximately where it will be buried. Not ideal, but straigh out from the house is a large tree. The test route will not go deep since there is underground power line, gas line and buried phone line.

The phone line will get lifted since it is not buried very deep and i will lay the copper under it.

Attachments

• line 1.jpg
    line 1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 203
  • line 2.jpg
    line 2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 199
  • line 3.jpg
    line 3.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Looks nice (at least from what can be made out in the night). Not so sure what to do about the pump issue, I suppose more testing would need to be done to see how bad it is, but it is looking like you'll either need one big pump, or a few decent ones.

Anyway, take some pics when you a burying it, and make sure it's daylight when you do! :D

Back