• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

for APU's what video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

a buddy of mine is wanting to do a new build and im GONNA try to switch him from the dark side...(int:mad:l) to the GOOD side AMD :attn:.
I was looking at the A10-5800k apu with a dedicated gpu but, i cant remember what ATI card is able to run with them. He is looking for something to run WOW and/or Diablo 3.

If you want a dedicated card, you're in the wrong platform. Go to the AMD FX or Intel Core series. The A10-5800k APU can use the AMD Dual Graphics Technology with a Radeon HD6670 or Radeon HD7670 card. The only problem is that it is just not worth it unless you already have the Radeon card.

6670, there is no 7670.... yet! maybe never....

6670, 6570, 6450 Radeon series cards will work in dual graphics - a 6670 w/gddr5 can be had for around $80 -8g Gskil 2133 less than $60, can't say how it will game, I don't game

you can use any gfx card with this platform , it is only if you want to use the hybrid xfire that you have to use a card from the list steve provided

a buddy of mine is wanting to do a new build and im GONNA try to switch him from the dark side...(int:mad:l) to the GOOD side AMD :attn:.

Brand loyalty, for any brand, just makes you look like an idiot. :facepalm:

That being said, an A10 + 6670 would be a nice little D3/WoW machine.

Brand loyalty, for any brand, just makes you look like an idiot. :facepalm:

Was this really necessary? He's having fun with it. Even if it does go south, the proper thing to do is alert a mod to lock it rather than trying to douse it with nerd superiority.

I've noticed more blue names on this board acting like idiots than anyone else lately. I'd been away a couple months till today and noticed people with blue names have now graduated to getting threads locked by the moderators.

A grumpy attitude is funny only to your little circle of friends, not to anyone else. If you can't handle your position without it then you need to quit.

Congratulations on turning OCF into [H] forums guys.

I wouldn't really consider doing dual graphics, sometimes the scaling isn't good at all versus just using the same discrete card by itself, possibly even losing performance (http://www.hardware.fr/articles/878-10/gpu-f1-2011-civilization-v-battlefield-3.html and http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46157-amd-a10-5800k-dual-graphics-evaluation/?page=2). However, scaling seems to work ok for diablo 3, at least (looks like the GDDR5 version is best! http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/40/IMG0040034.png)

Using a discrete GPU, I would go with an FX series instead. Otherwise current generation core i3 CPUs generally perform better than the 5800k in games in this case (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/20...md-a10-5800k-dual-graphics-evaluation/?page=2). I expect this to be the case with WoW too.

Was this really necessary? He's having fun with it. Even if it does go south, the proper thing to do is alert a mod to lock it rather than trying to douse it with nerd superiority.

I've noticed more blue names on this board acting like idiots than anyone else lately. I'd been away a couple months till today and noticed people with blue names have now graduated to getting threads locked by the moderators.

A grumpy attitude is funny only to your little circle of friends, not to anyone else. If you can't handle your position without it then you need to quit.

Congratulations on turning OCF into [H] forums guys.

Maybe I came off a little harsh, but I don't find posts like his even remotely entertaining. It's just so biased that it's borderline ignorant, and tolerating views like that only serves to propagate them further.

The APUs are fantastic for applications that don't need much in the way of graphics and have a low budget. Fantastic.
If there's a budget for a decent discreet card, it's not the right platform.

Maybe I came off a little harsh, but I don't find posts like his even remotely entertaining. It's just so biased that it's borderline ignorant, and tolerating views like that only serves to propagate them further.

I think the use of "Idiot" & "ignorant" are out of line. This is the "AMD CPU" part of this site.

We own a drag car called "The Dark Side", we don't plan on changing the name.

I disagree.
If (in this entirely made up example) brand loyalty causes a person to pay 20% more for 15% less performance, it fits beautifully. That's a bad decision.

It doesn't matter what part of the site you're in, unless for some reason being in the AMD section makes it OK to give bad advice. In that event, buy socket 462, it's cheap and functional!

The real question is:
Do you want the best machine for your friends money, or do you want to forcefully spread your personal belief system?

The APUs are fantastic for applications that don't need much in the way of graphics and have a low budget. Fantastic.

It's a lot of fun too!!! For an HTPC, if you have a 3d tv & a capable blu ray player, the addition of a 6670 makes a difference.

The OP's friend is looking for a gaming build though :D

The APUs are definitely a nice HTPC platform. An excellent one, really. Gaming at 1080p? Less so.

I disagree.
If (in this entirely made up example) brand loyalty causes a person to pay 20% more for 15% less performance, it fits beautifully. That's a bad decision.

It doesn't matter what part of the site you're in, unless for some reason being in the AMD section makes it OK to give bad advice. In that event, buy socket 462, it's cheap and functional!

The real question is:
Do you want the best machine for your friends money, or do you want to forcefully spread your personal belief system?

So Idiot & Ignorant is OK? AND "a buddy of mine is wanting to do a new build and im GONNA try to switch him from the dark side...(intl) to the GOOD side AMD" may be bad advice..... BUT!!!

QFT.

If you don't want / can't afford a discrete GPU, APUs with mITX/mATX boards are the way to go (you are not going to fill the ATX slots anyway). They make a cute little box that packs a punch for low-end games, HTPCs, and office usage.

If you can afford a discrete card you are on the wrong platform. If you want AMD, go with the FX processors. If you want Intel, go with the Core i5/i7 processors.

So Idiot & Ignorant is OK? AND "a buddy of mine is wanting to do a new build and im GONNA try to switch him from the dark side...(intl) to the GOOD side AMD" may be bad advice..... BUT!!!

That, and please excuse me, sounds ridiculous to me. Good side? Bad side? Hey, they're just silicon wafers. We're not judging business policies here. We just want performance, the best bang for our buck.

Knufire's "idiot" and "ignorant" may have sounded a little harsh. It did to me, at least. But he meant no offense. He just gives what, in my opinion, are perfect adjectives for fanatical brand loyalty. As long as you don't own shares, you should care about your money and needs, not theirs. If Company X offers a product that suits you better than what Company Y can offer, you should buy Company X's. It's just plain logic, in my opinion.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here really.

It is bad advice if the buddy has the cash for a 3570k and a 7870 or better, so where's the "but" headed? But what?

It's bad advice, but because it's the AMD section it's OK?
It's bad advice, but because AMD is smaller than Intel it's OK?
It's bad advice, but because of AMD brand loyalty it's OK?

The OP's friend is looking for a gaming build though :D

The APUs are definitely a nice HTPC platform. An excellent one, really. Gaming at 1080p? Less so.

You are right - it's a crap shoot at 1080p.

As far as the other posts - I'm not much in favor of "button" pushing words - we have a congress that has wwwwaaaaayyyyy too many:argue:

The use of idiot and ignorant was a mistake, and shouldn't have been rolled out that way. Bad choice of words as its distracted and pulled the thread a bit off focus.

Let's get back on topic. And avoid phrasing things in a way that can be inflammatory - that point could have been conveyed in a less distracting way.

I apologize for my word choice.

I do want to point out, by the way, that in my first post, I did agree that the APU was the best direction for this build. It isn't about AMD or Intel, it's that being biased to any brand is a wrong choice and being neutral is the right choice. That simple.

In order to run less intensive games such as WoW or D3, the APU with dual graphics is by far the cheapest solution that gives excellent performance, and IMO is therefore the "correct" choice.

I don't see where opinions have to come into computers when what is better is clearly measurable by scientific means.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here really.

It is bad advice if the buddy has the cash for a 3570k and a 7870 or better, so where's the "but" headed? But what?

It's bad advice, but because it's the AMD section it's OK?
It's bad advice, but because AMD is smaller than Intel it's OK?
It's bad advice, but because of AMD brand loyalty it's OK?

And an 8350 + 7870 would perform just as well as a 3570 and 7870.

LIke I said before, you guys should just delete the AMD forums, that way you won't have to deal with anyone that has or wants to build an AMD rig again.

Back