• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foxconn A7DA-S overvolts my Phenom II 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think all my boards have the heatpipes and I've never had a heat problem like that either. Obviously a well-stressed IGP does put out some heat, something I never run into since I've only got a couple of boards with built-in graphics and they're SETI farm rigs, so they never see heavy graphics use.

Edit:
Cross-post ...

NeurOmancer...As I stated earlier, I installed two 120mm fans in the side panel blowing directly at the NB and the temp dropped from 60C down to 51C. That is when I began to suspect that even though hwmonitor listed that temp as cpu temp, the NB temp was what it was actually reading. Speedfan had that high temp listed as the NB...and due to the low core temps of low 20's, confirmed by several utilities, I figured that the cpu temp couldn't be that high and that it must be the NB.

There is always the very real possibility that there is just a faulty sensor which is just reading too high, in which case I would just turn off the high temp warning in Bios...but not until I am certain of that.

After I took off the NB/Mosfet heatpipe, the gunk that was used for TM looked awful... chewing gum consistency...and about as hard to get off.

I appreciate your input. This is certainly a learning experience for me.

I have some Arctic Cooling MX-2 and I think that I will go ahead and put the cooler back on and just see what happens....process of elimination...see how well the new TM works.
I have replaced the TIM on the heatpipes on several of my rigs, even removed the thermal pad on the MOSFETs without problems and replaced it with Ceramique - but mine weren't very uneven (a little bit uneven though). The first rig I did that to has been running since Nov '06.

I'd arrange the side fans as one IN, one OUT unless you've got a big open grill somewhere - but that's just me ... ;)

Last edited:
I have it back up & running and using it now.

The NB temp is steady at 44C...a good improvement from before. I put the thermal pad back on for the mosfet cooler...no way to tell about the mosfet temps, is there?

I also took the opportunity to replace the rear exhaust Cooler Master 120mm fan with the CoolerMaster R4 120mm that puts out a whole lot more cfm...this puppy really puts out the air...and also cut out the grill and installed a chrome grill.

I think that I am within the ballpark for the NB temp...still holding at 44C.

I want to thank all of you for your expertise and input on this little situation.

And....Mellon Head...I'm awfully sorry that my questions turned into highjacking your thread...one thing led to another...:eek:!

No way to tell about mosfet temp except with an infrared gun and then what to know is a good temp I couldn't tell you because they can run pretty hot compared to other components and still be okay. Glad you got your NB temps in line.

No way to tell about mosfet temp except with an infrared gun and then what to know is a good temp I couldn't tell you because they can run pretty hot compared to other components and still be okay. Glad you got your NB temps in line.
Some MOSFETs get VERY hot. Depending on the type of package and mount, and the amount of current going through them, temps can easily exceed 80C. That is why they need to be sinked. They'd burn up otherwise. In a computer, it's unlikely they would ever get that hot, but the heat sinks on them do serve an important purpose. By cooling them, it lengthens the life span of the component. You guys already know that heat is the enemy. You OC all the time. lol. A MOSFET is just a semiconductor. The cooler you keep it, the longer it lasts. Funny, I never thought to take the FET temp with the IR thermometer, but it should be pretty close to the NB with the heatpipe attached...

@QuietIce: I have the same video card as yours. When I use Hybrid XFire, my NB temp will go up 8 to 10 degrees in average use. I think you're spot on with the Crossfire/higher-temp thing. I've seen it directly. It's the reason I added the 40cm fan to the NB. It means I can use XFire in the summer. :)

@stevejr: Don't worry about the hijack. There were some good points made, and I learned a few things about heatpipes I didn't know. So, thanks.

Back