• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free $100 for Opening Citi Bank Savings Account

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

UPDATE!!::::

CHECK YOUR ACCOUNTS PEOPLE, ALOT OF PEOPLE GOT DEPOSITS WITHIN THE PAST FEW DAYS..

Details:
* This is available to all people who do not currently have a Citi bank account.
* Note that opening this account will probably result in a hard pull on your credit report.
* You receive the $100 credit to your account within 90 days following your first statement cycle.
* To get the $100, you must specify promotion code CSLN.
* Must apply by 7/31/2007.
* You must fund the account with at least $1 within the first 30 days to receive the bonus.
* This account offers a 4.65% APY (currently).
* Here is the promotion disclosure:

PROMOTION DISCLOSURE

Promotion Code: CSLN

When you applied for your Ultimate Savings Account, you identified the special offer code of CSLN to receive a $100 bonus. Below are the terms and conditions that you must meet in order to obtain the benefits of this special offer.

Terms and Conditions:

• To receive this offer you must apply for and open a new Ultimate Savings Account by 07/31/2007. $100 will be credited to your Ultimate Savings Account within 90 days following your first statement cycle. Account must be in good standing at the time of the $100 credit.

https://web.da-us.citibank.com/cgi-...v_detail.jsp?BS_Id=CitiUSA&BV_UseBVCookie=yes

OPEN ACCOUNT, TRANSFER $1 IN YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THE CODE ABOVE AND IN 60-90 DAYS YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY.. I OPENED 3 ACCOUNTS FOR ME MY FATHER AND MY SISTER.

You will receive an ATM card in the mail.

I used my checking account to transfer $1 to each account. Just void a check and your done.

This has been discussed over at AnAndTech with people saying they have received their deposits.

Sign up by 7/31 and receive your money by 11/31 which is right before christmas!

Last edited:
WTF? How do they make out on this? Are they trying to pad some customer numbers for a future sale of some sort? Aren't they already the largest bank in the USA?

Trying to get people to switch from ING, which has for a long time offered one of the highest APRs of any savings account. That'd be my guess

Will this hurt any credit ratings or anything? I'm not sure what you mean by a "hard pull" on your credit.

unfortunately it seems it does
The reporting agencies distinguish between soft and hard pulls. When Target calls to check before issuing its line of credit, the agencies chalk that up as a hard pull and it counts against your score. Personal requests and credit counselors -- if they do it correctly, so insist on this as part of your agreement terms -- fall under soft pulls, which do not reflect on the evaluation.

So it's the same as a line of credit check. :shrug: not a huge deal unless you're going for something big in the near future like a car or home loan.

My credit probably isn't good enough to get this anyway, but could I get into trouble for opening this account and putting a couple of bucks in it and wait for the 100 bucks then transfer to money to my current bank then close the account? I could use the extra $100 bucks but not another checking account. I like my current bank.

acompdude said:
My credit probably isn't good enough to get this anyway, but could I get into trouble for opening this account and putting a couple of bucks in it and wait for the 100 bucks then transfer to money to my current bank then close the account? I could use the extra $100 bucks but not another checking account. I like my current bank.

im not sure if there's a termination fee for closing the account. I do know that theres no monthly fee and such so it wont hurt to keep it open as a secondary account.

Fr3@k3r said:
unfortunately it seems it does

Which is why i couldn't believe I got a pamphlet in the mail about this! Does anyone even respect their credit anymore? Its like, 'here's a $1.50, go **** yourself.' No thank you, I'll keep my capabilities for a good house loan instead.

tresmonos said:
Which is why i couldn't believe I got a pamphlet in the mail about this! Does anyone even respect their credit anymore? Its like, 'here's a $1.50, go **** yourself.' No thank you, I'll keep my capabilities for a good house loan instead.

One or two "hard pulls" isn't going to hurt your credit that much, unless you already have issues.

You guys are scaring people away.....this isn't really that big of a deal. The credit companies just look to see how many times you've applied for credit. Now if you have a dozen "hard pulls" on your account over the last year.....then it's a problem.

cw823 said:
One or two "hard pulls" isn't going to hurt your credit that much, unless you already have issues.

You guys are scaring people away.....this isn't really that big of a deal. The credit companies just look to see how many times you've applied for credit. Now if you have a dozen "hard pulls" on your account over the last year.....then it's a problem.

Yes, 'hard pulls' aren't a huge deal unless you have mediocre credit anyway or way too many inquiries. Every time you apply for a credit line it's a hard pull. They also go away after a certain amount of time, it's just having too many in a short time span that lowers credit although not in a huge way and it's still just temporary.

I missed out on the 'open a CC and get $250' thing so I think I'm going to have to do this one :p

does anyone know how badly will this affect a credit score? like numberwise because i plan on getting a loan for a car in a few months, i just opened an account with my dish tv provider and I think it knocked off 10points from my score. my current credit score is 808

is this safe for a 17 year old to open one up? (with parents permission of course if they require it)

I would love to open one up so I can invest my money somewhere

Im a student, but have been on some big name credit cards with my Mom. I dont think opening a savings account will annihilate my score for the future..

Korndog said:
does anyone know how badly will this affect a credit score? like numberwise because i plan on getting a loan for a car in a few months, i just opened an account with my dish tv provider and I think it knocked off 10points from my score. my current credit score is 808
'

you should be fine, it might not even blemish your score.

as for age.. YoU Must BE 18 from the terms is what I thought i read.

Fr3@k3r said:
'

you should be fine, it might not even blemish your score.

as for age.. YoU Must BE 18 from the terms is what I thought i read.

Ugh, it says you must be 18 on the sign up screen. Your right, maybe my parents will open one for me.

Its signed up. I am getting my credit report and will let you all know how bad a savings account ruins your chances of a loan :eh?:

i tried pulling it tonight from expedian, but I have to call to verify. And they are closed. Stay tuned.

Back