• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free $100 for Opening Citi Bank Savings Account

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
kimochii72 said:
You can improve your credit score by running up a balance of a few hundred on say a $1000 card. Run it as high as you could by only purchasing your needed things, gas, food, pay utilities and internet bills with it. Revolve the account in 3 to 5 months segments, meaning pay above the minimum payment (3 to 5x the required amount) and do a slam pay-off at the 4-6th month in-full and overpaid actually, giving you credit owed to you. Repeat this process, making the balance swing up and down, revolve, make the card company money for those months and continue this process. By the time you do this with one visa/mc + 1 merchant card your credit score will skyrocket within 12 - 20 months. Trust me. This is one secret of the credit card industry. But never accept the intermittent preapproved apps that will come. You only need 2 cards and anything more than that is considered "oustanding credit," which means you have the potential to spend beyond your means (credit risk). The risks of inquires are so insignificant that you have to do a dozen of them or so within a 2 year period for it to impact the overal score. At At&T Universal Card (some of you may have this card), this is the way we looked at it.

While true, you don't even need to use your credit card to improve your credit score. An open credit card that isn't used will be reported by the card company to your credit on a monthly basis as "paying as agreed." It is a myth that you actually need to use a credit card to increase your credit score.

Ri0 said:
While true, you don't even need to use your credit card to improve your credit score. An open credit card that isn't used will be reported by the card company to your credit on a monthly basis as "paying as agreed." It is a myth that you actually need to use a credit card to increase your credit score.

It will just show as "balance $0" every month. Many creditors are indifferent to that pattern.

This deal may have been extended, I got this in the disclosure when I signed up:

II. Promotion Disclosure

PROMOTION DISCLOSURE

Promotion Code: CSLN

When you applied for your Ultimate Savings Account, you identified the special offer code of CSLN to receive a $100 bonus. Below are the terms and conditions that you must meet in order to obtain the benefits of this special offer.

Terms and Conditions:

• To receive this offer you must apply for and open a new Ultimate Savings Account by 08/31/2007. $100 will be credited to your Ultimate Savings Account within 90 days following your first statement cycle. Account must be in good standing at the time of the $100 credit.

• All accounts are subject to approval. Customer must be a citizen or resident alien of the United States (U.S.) with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. The amount of any bonus payment will be reported to the IRS as interest earned in the year credited. Persons under 18 years of age are not eligible. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice and is not transferable.

©2007 Citibank. Citibank, N.A. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender. Citibank and Citibank with Arc Design are registered service marks of Citigroup Inc.

Here you go guys, a free credit report, no gimmicks:

http://www.creditreport.com

They need the normal info, name, address, social and other identity verification, but it's secure so no worries. I got mine back, my credit score is 551, it used to be around 750 :(

The report they give you is very thourough and informative too, explains in great detail what is damaging your credit, very nice.

Lying Mother FLUFFERS!!!

i got my intro package the other day in the mail and got around to reading it finally..

well.. its now 120 days and 9/30/08

PROMOTION DISCLOSURE

Promotion Code: CSLN

When you applied for your Ultimate Savings Account, you identified the special offer code of CSLN to receive a $100 bonus. Below are the terms and conditions that you must meet in order to obtain the benefits of this special offer.

Terms and Conditions:

• To receive this offer you must apply for and open a new Ultimate Savings Account by 09/30/2007. $100 will be credited to your Ultimate Savings Account within 120 days following your first statement cycle. Account must be in good standing at the time of the $100 credit.

• All accounts are subject to approval. Customer must be a citizen or resident alien of the United States (U.S.) with a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number. The amount of any bonus payment will be reported to the IRS as interest earned in the year credited. Persons under 18 years of age are not eligible. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice and is not transferable.

I just got mine as well, and said the same thing. I could really care less if its 30 days or 120 days. As long as it shows up. Its like a rebate - you will eventually get it, just be patient. If you have no patience, then the deal probably isnt for you.

My question is what is their version of "good standing", just a positive balance? I dont plan on touching the account until the $100 shows up, then i'll clean it out, and close it.

They actually rejected my application. Who would have guessed a poor credit score (bankrupcy) would preclude you from opening a savings account.

My guess is that to make this $100 up on the backend they are going to spam the new account holders with 'preselected offers'. ;)

Fr3@k3r said:
Pinky.. how the hell did they reject you? my credit and my dads credit is 10000x worse than yours probably.

Don't know. Maybe it was those bogus verification questions?

Fr3@k3r said:
not all were bogus, in fact they are there to verify your identity.

some are bogus to throw you off tho.

Every question in my survey was make believe. To get the free credit report I had to answer similar questions, but at least those were accurate/applicable.

I understand the ins/outs of all this. I am, after all, bankrupt :p. You don't get that way without playing the credit game (and losing).

No you cannot fight it. On the packet you received, on the first page, last line....the "offer can be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice"

Pinky said:
Every question in my survey was make believe. To get the free credit report I had to answer similar questions, but at least those were accurate/applicable.

I understand the ins/outs of all this. I am, after all, bankrupt :p. You don't get that way without playing the credit game (and losing).

You said it brother! But if you're willing to go to EXTREMES... then you can at least have a stalemate. :beer:

I'm in for this one. The hundred bucks is nice and all but I'm in it for the high interest rate. I'm going to direct deposit $50 every two weeks. I let you know how it goes.

Back