• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free Blu-Ray Player for Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
What shall I use? I don't want to spend any money as long as there is a decent free player out there. I just installed one in my HTPC. :)

VLC won't play all encrypted blu-ray discs without some addons.

Even with some addons, there are many discs it won't play, because they have newer keys. The DRM on Blu-ray makes me want to strangle media companies with citric acid-coated barbed wire. I'm tired of buying movies only to not be able to play them.

The thing is, often on weekends, I have some family over to watch a movie. My brother sometimes will rent something from redbox and bring it over. I don't want us all to prepare for a movie and then my Blu-ray player refuse to work with it.

Does Windows Media Center have any known issues?

Not sure if it has the necessary codecs for it. I know the newer version of PowerDVD works

WMC does not support Blu-ray playback. You would have to get something like PowerDVD (as Janus suggested). PowerDVD does integrate in WMC though.

Thanks.
So nothing out there that's free...? What's the cheapest option out there for me? They have a few different packages.

Thanks.
So nothing out there that's free...? What's the cheapest option out there for me? They have a few different packages.

Hey Godm@n how come you don't have a decennial badge under your avatar? Seems to me you've been here more than 10 years and yet you don't have one! I'd complain to management.

Also, as was mentioned, there is no free Bluray playback software. They've got it locked down. Most packaged Bluray drives come with a software player packaged with them but if you just bougtht a bare drive you're going to have to buy a player at Best Buy or something.

Hey Godm@n how come you don't have a decennial badge under your avatar? Seems to me you've been here more than 10 years and yet you don't have one! I'd complain to management.
Fixed!

..and this:
Also, as was mentioned, there is no free Bluray playback software. They've got it locked down. Most packaged Bluray drives come with a software player packaged with them but if you just bougtht a bare drive you're going to have to buy a player at Best Buy or something.
It's pathetic really. I bought a Blu-Ray player earlier this year thinking there was something I could download. Nope, doesn't exist. Tis a bunch of poo.

Yeah blu-ray DRM makes me want to strangle somebody. Aside from my PS3 (which is getting dirt cheap for new ones due to the nextgen stuff), the other way I can play blu-ray on my Linux HTPC machine is to use the uPNP function of MakeMKV to stream the blu-ray and use XBMC to play it off that port locally. Kind of a pain.

That should work in Windows as well (streaming to any computer that can see a uPNP server on your LAN) - but MakeMKV is shareware (30 day trial). I think a registration key is $50. I have to doublecheck but I think the uPNP function doesn't work for Blu-ray after the trial period, only for DVDs.

It's pathetic really. I bought a Blu-Ray player earlier this year thinking there was something I could download. Nope, doesn't exist. Tis a bunch of poo.
What Blu-Ray player did you purchase. If you buy a Blu-Ray player what do you look for so it can be updated?

Err...sorry, let me rephrase. I bought a Blu-Ray drive. I did have to get firmware from the manufacturer for it to even play BRDs with PowerDVD. I don't recall the brand off the top of my head. Apparently BRD is a complete PITA regardless. I'm looking into the cheapest BRD-player-with-WIFI I can find and might just go that route b/c it's annoying to use with a HTPC, which is just ridiculous.

May as well go the PS3 route they have a great game library for when you have some time not doing reviews :)

Bah, wouldn't want one. I have a sizable list of modern PC games I don't even have time to play. Why buy more games for a console I also won't have time to play?

BRD player with WiFi can be had on ebay for $70'ish. PS3s go for $175+ it seems.

Bah, wouldn't want one. I have a sizable list of modern PC games I don't even have time to play. Why buy more games for a console I also won't have time to play?

BRD player with WiFi can be had on ebay for $70'ish. PS3s go for $175+ it seems.

PS3s are getting cheaper before the PS4 release, I've seen a used slim for $119 recently.

You know, I often throw out the media that comes with optical drives, as I almost always use something else I'm familiar with. If I did get media with one of my Blu-Ray drives, I sure as heck hope I can find it!! I've a feeling I won't.

Thanks for thinking of me. :) I've been way out of touch. Hokie, thanks, bud!

Going to be hard finding one for free that can play BD, but Totalmedia Theater does the job too but not cheap, PowerDVD is the other option. Best just get a standalone DVD player for $50 than a $100 BD drive and a $80-100 BD software. lol my mother bought one for $56 and it can play Netflix.

Here's something I've been considering getting for my HTPC laptop but it doesn't say if it includes any software for playback.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37594

Last edited:
Going to be hard finding one for free that can play BD, but Totalmedia Theater does the job too but not cheap, PowerDVD is the other option. Best just get a standalone DVD player for $50 than a $100 BD drive and a $80-100 BD software. lol my mother bought one for $56 and it can play Netflix.

Here's something I've been considering getting for my HTPC laptop but it doesn't say if it includes any software for playback.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37594

Technically for free you can use a MakeMKV beta key (legit link: this is provided by MakeMKV devs) and use it to stream the disc UPnP. After that you can play it with your favorite player: SMPlayer, VLC, etc.

Sorry if I missed it, but how would you stream via upnp? I use a Windows 7 desktop as my HTPC and have a Blu-Ray optical drive in it...

Back