• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free up space on ssd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I've reached the point that I have to remove a game to install one on my ssd and need to look into getting some space.

I found a way to remove system restore but this only saved me 1.5g

I looked up removing hibernation entirely but it says that it'll disable fast start up. How much will I save disabling hibernation?

Any other ideas on how to save space?

edit: I found that my user folder has 5g of space taken up, I found that 4g of it is in a hidden folder called appdata, I don't feel comfortable just deleting it without knowing what i'm doing, is there any way to free up some of this space?

Last edited:
disabling hibernation is not a big deal, but you must remember not to click hibernate from the windows power menu as it will crash the system. It will free up ~RAM size worth of SSD space. You can also remove the page file from the SSD which will free up ~1-2x RAM size.

I've reached the point that I have to remove a game to install one on my ssd and need to look into getting some space.

I found a way to remove system restore but this only saved me 1.5g

I looked up removing hibernation entirely but it says that it'll disable fast start up. How much will I save disabling hibernation?

Any other ideas on how to save space?

edit: I found that my user folder has 5g of space taken up, I found that 4g of it is in a hidden folder called appdata, I don't feel comfortable just deleting it without knowing what i'm doing, is there any way to free up some of this space?

I suggest using WinDirStat it's a great little program that helps you delete and reallocate space on your hard drives.

Last time I did a cleanup it saved me +10gb.

ok between removing hibernate, restore and cclean I've saved about 10g

I still might just need another ssd or maybe put unimportant programs on my hdd. I feel kinda bad having a 500g drive that does nothing but store my misc crap

edit: What about windows.old that's about 16-17g, I've heard of people deleting it but think you need to know what your doing. I upgraded to windows 8

ok between removing hibernate, restore and cclean I've saved about 10g

I still might just need another ssd or maybe put unimportant programs on my hdd. I feel kinda bad having a 500g drive that does nothing but store my misc crap

edit: What about windows.old that's about 16-17g, I've heard of people deleting it but think you need to know what your doing. I upgraded to windows 8

Windows.old is a huge waste of space. It will contain files from your last install so you may want to grab any files that you may have lost in the transition.

Other than that you should definitely delete it.

ok right after I posted this I googled and figured out how to delete it

so far I must have saved +25g of space

thanks for all the help, still open to suggestions

edit: make that at least 30g

Back