• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeware program for MP3's off iPod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

I reformatted the laptop, and somehow I lost half my MP3's :cry:
I have half of them, but if I sync with itunes it's gonna wipe everything....

The iphone still has them all on it...how can I get them back onto the laptop?

Any good FREEWARE non-spyware junk that can do this for me?

Thanks,

Hmm... Well I would plug the iphone into a computer without itunes. Then load up the iphone as a drive. When it's open, go to the file options, and select view all including hidden folders. Find the music folder and copy it all onto the computers hard drive. From there you can USB load it back onto your other computer :)

You could do it the "right" way, it's just a bit more involved.

Apple attempts to block access to the iPhone's file structure by USB, but you can get into it through Wifi using the SSH protocol.

You'd need to jailbreak your iPhone, then get the SSH software from the Cydia app.

Get WinSCP on your computer, make sure that they're both on the same wireless network. Throw in the IP of the phone on the network, username is root, password is alpine.

Directory that the music is stored in is /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_control/Music.

Or you could do it the easy way...http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

I would just do it the easy way though... Less risky and faster. Unless of course you wouldn't mind having your Iphone jail broken at the end of things :)

Hmm... Well I would plug the iphone into a computer without itunes. Then load up the iphone as a drive. When it's open, go to the file options, and select view all including hidden folders. Find the music folder and copy it all onto the computers hard drive. From there you can USB load it back onto your other computer :)

that works on ipods, but I'm not sure it does with iphones.

There's always a way :) It's somewhere on that machine.

You can't stick iPod Touches and iPhones in drive mode, AFAIK. Need a program like iExplorer or SSH into it to get into the file structure, and it has to be jailbroken.

Why? Copy the file structure, and you can duplicate phones. This is a total breach of contract, if any wireless carrier sees two phones with the same number on the network at the same time, they're instabanned. To prevent this, Apple had to put a decent amount of protection against this.

I use an inexpensive bluetooth adapter to transfer any files to and/or from my cell phones; works with an Android, not sure about iphones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875983003

IOS devices (apple ones) are pretty restrictive when it comes to the filesystem. I don't think the bluetooth idea would work (just because of the way apple does things). It would be very easy to retrieve the music if the iphone was jailbroken, but that's not always an option.

I would suggest checking out mediamonkey, I believe it lets you "back up" your songs.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Guide_to_ipod_sync

Last edited:
You can't stick iPod Touches and iPhones in drive mode, AFAIK. Need a program like iExplorer or SSH into it to get into the file structure, and it has to be jailbroken.

Why? Copy the file structure, and you can duplicate phones. This is a total breach of contract, if any wireless carrier sees two phones with the same number on the network at the same time, they're instabanned. To prevent this, Apple had to put a decent amount of protection against this.

Umm... well apparently the companies that created these programs found a way, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to do it with a jailbreak or little program or anything for that matter. The fact is, anything can be accessed and will be accessed if there is a reason for the person to do it.

Umm... well apparently the companies that created these programs found a way, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to do it with a jailbreak or little program or anything for that matter. The fact is, anything can be accessed and will be accessed if there is a reason for the person to do it.

They didn't just find a way.

Most 3rd party programs just replicate themselves as iTunes to the iPod or iPhone, and just use the normal syncing function, slightly modified. You can just transfer movies/photos/music.

In order to get access to the file structure, it HAS to be jailbroken. Jailbreaking isn't simply just a company "finding a way", it's a bunch of ragtag hackers constantly fighting with Apple, trying to find bugs, glitches, and loopholes in the iOS software that allows custom code to be run. These are fixed in the next software update, and another exploit has to be found.

It isn't a way, it's hacking into iOS and disabling the security from within.

You're right in saying anything can and will be accessed if there is a group of people willing, but it isn't always easy.

I have jailbroken the iphone so that should work. I didn't think of that method!

That should do the trick. Thanks guys. From there I can then resync iTunes and get everything back to how it was.

Just looked....there are no names for the music...they are just garbled letters and numbers. Can I get the titles of the mp3 back too?
eg: AGNX.mp3 etc...

Is there a way that some program or itunes will change the file names too? That would suck otherwise because I am forced to play all music in itunes and that means for my network, I have to install itunes on ALL computers which I do not want to do...

I remember that the jumbled files names being the "catch" of recovering files off Apple devices. It uses an internal database to get information about the songs and it scrambles the names to prevent people from doing exactly what you are trying to do. :)

Pr0t0n, we do not allow the discussion of warez on this website. I'd highly suggest reading our forum rules.

6. Discussion of the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, copying, or theft of copyrighted materials is forbidden. This includes, but is not limited to discussion of the use of peer to peer (P2P) applications for the purpose of obtaining copyrighted material. Discussion of P2P programs and networks is not forbidden; but there is to be no connection (stated, implied, or otherwise) to obtaining copyrighted material, or other illegal activities. ABSOLUTELY no posting of Warez (Pirated Software) or links to Warez sites. Some topics may seem like grey areas, however moderators may close a thread that threatens to delve into such areas.

Back