• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

From an H70 to a NH-D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

someinterwebguy

So a client/friend paid for his new setup partially by sending me a NH-D14 via Fed Ex after finding out that, while nice, the H70 wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, though I was able to get to 4GHz.

Enter the NH-D14. With my case fans on low, as opposed to high with the H70, I still get better cooling than with the H70. I can barely hear my computer now, though with ambient temps hitting 28ºC/84ºF for the next few weeks I might need to keep the fans back on high until the heat goes away.

Fans on the NH-D14 are attached at full speed. It is a massive heatsink/fan, but after installing a Hyper 212+ a few months ago, I was slightly less taken back. It mounted easier than any heatsink/fan I've ever installed.

I will be saving my H70 until after BD comes out and I do a Mobo swap, I'm looking into Silverstone SFF cases and the H70 would be perfect in a smaller case.

High-end air cooling is equal to or better than the hybrid coolers.

When you look at a "proper" water cooling setup, the sheer volume of water (cooled by a very substantial radiator) is what produces the goods. If the volume of water is low, it simply won't cool as efficiently.

What were your temps before/after? I'm tempted to switch from my H50...

Depending on the ambient temperature, I was hitting up to around 60ºC or so. Now, with my case fans on high (keeping everything as close to the way I had things setup with the H70 case wise) Prime 95 temps stay at around 50ºC, with occasional jumps to up to 52ºC. I idle at 29ºC (instead of 40ºC) with Ambient Temps of 25ºC.

I was quite taken back by the power of this thing. Worth every penny in my book, and now my H70 will cool a future rig with less space than RV02B-based one.

Very nice temps. I only ever hear good things about this cooler. But good lord does Noctua use the WORST colors for their fans

I cleaned the fan screens on my case the other day, as they were quite dirty. Now I'm idling @ 23ºC with an ambient Temp of 21ºC. Max temps are 40ºC.

Before cleaning the screens, I was idling @ 30ºC with max temps hitting the high 50's.

I'm going to start doing this monthly from now on...

Back