• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frustrating experience with Lenovo. 6+ repairs and no solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I've had a Lenovo Thinkpad T410s for almost two years. Virtually since the day I've gotten it, I've had problems. There are two major issues:

1) The laptop has switchable graphics: nVidia Quadro NVS4100M and the integrated Core i5 GPU. When I run the discrete GPU, it causes the laptop to severely overheat, even if I max out the fan using third party software. What ends up happening, is that any time I'm gaming, the whole machine locks up when the CPU throttles to 50% after hit hits ~95C.

2) There are very annoying sound artifacts. This issue affects both the output, and input (i.e. talking on Ventrilo). The artifacts make it sound like its switching between mono and stereo...

I'm fairly confident that the two issues are related. I sent the laptop in 4 times for repairs, but no dice. The fifth time, I sent it in to their "SWAT" repair team. They sent it back saying that it was a third-party software issue and they couldn't replicate. I re-imaged the drive, and tested out some games- they weren't even playable. I couldn't get anything above 10fps even at the lowest settings. I sent it in for repair #6, to the same guy. This time, they tested the GPU against another stock model, and determined that the GPU was underperforming. So they replaced the mobo and the gpu.

Guess what? Still having the same two issues. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I'm convinced that it's just a fundamental design flaw in the model. They no longer sell this model, and its replacement (T420s) is known to have a very loud fan. I'd rather have a loud fan that works than a soft one that doesn't. I've repeatedly asked for either a refund, or a replacement, but they keep saying I have to send it in for repair.

I'm getting sick of this. I shouldn't have to send my laptop in 6 times to have it even work properly. I'm tempted to call the BBB, but I'm not sure that will get me anywhere. I paid extra for a longer warranty, so I have another year and a half. But I think it's ridiculous that I've even had to put up with this. Anyone have any ideas?

TL;DR - Lenovo Thinkpad has fundamental problems since I bought it, sent in 6 times, still overheats and has sound artifacting. They refuse to replace/refund. What do I do?

Back