• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB overclocking tips ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Finally got around to playing with the FSB this morning, was curious to see if i had any improvements over multiplier and this is what i ended up with. Tried not to change too many things but had to up RAM voltage to 1.55v, and the end result is CPU ~44mhz faster while being ~3c cooler at same voltage. One thing stood out though, my system seems a lot more stable, fluid if you know what i mean, is it possible that this chip doesn't like high multiplier (was at 24x) ? ATM topping out at ~60c Prime95 Blend 2h.

Tips are most welcome to push it further :)

151122122745.jpg

151122122756.jpg

lower ht nb and memory multiplier

or start adding voltage.

nb ht v to 1.3

nb v to 1.2

mem to 1.65

cpu to 1.488

Why mem 1.65? Cause you are overclocking it..... If you push reference clock further, the memory will overclock further no?

edit:

You could loosen mem timing to something like 9-10-9-27-36 2TCR perhaps and leave 1.55v....

edit again:
Or run similar timings to my Corsair 2133mhz at 11-11-11-31-42 1TCR at 1.5v maybe?

and why mem 1.65v ?
Because you'll be increasing the mem speed when you increase the FSB.
At some point the ram will run out of gas and you'll have to knock down the divider again.
Basically, when you up the FSB there will come a point that you will have to do something.......whether it's loosen timings or decrease speed via divider, to keep the ram error free is what I'm getting at.

Ninja'ed by Jon. :rolleyes:

Im not trying to overclock the memory, and its running fine now at 1950mhz 1.55v, im trying simply to push CPU clock, seems that with lower multi i also get lower temps, so i might dreg a few more mhz out of it ?

Im surprised that the RAM is working as well as it is now, found out on another thread that technically it isn't rated for AMD and n00b that i am i didn't check when i bought it... oops...

Im not trying to overclock the memory, and its running fine now at 1950mhz 1.55v, im trying simply to push CPU clock, seems that with lower multi i also get lower temps, so i might dreg a few more mhz out of it ?
If you add FSB, you will OC the ram whether you want to or not.
FSB adds to ALL the buses.

You could loosen mem timing to something like 9-10-9-27-36 2TCR perhaps and leave 1.55v....

This one is rated for 9-10-9-27 2T 1866Mhz, that was why i left the DOCP on, it kept the XML with the timings but bumped the speed (or i thought it did, showed same settings). Im bumping down the RAM and HT/NB as i go along, trying to keep to what i had and know it will work while increasing CPU speed.

Set the timings manually, and lower the RAM divider to keep the RAM under 1866. Keep the NB and HT link at stock for now. (2200 and 2600 respectively) That way nothing else can cause instability other than the board not liking high FSB or the CPU needing more volts.

Once you find your happy spot with the FSB, tinker with the RAM, NB and set the HT link back to 2800 or whatever.
The higher you go with the FSB, you may have to lower the RAM divider and lower the HT and NB speeds again.

Happy tuning! :D

EDIT: Oh, and set VDDA back to AUTO. I have found that setting 2.8volts on my old Gigabyte board helped with stability, but it doesn't do squat on these Saberkittys. Might as well save some power.

Yep that's what I've been trying to do, just didn't know i had to set it to manual as Mr. Scott said. Corrected :)

If I keep lowering the multiplier I will supposedly get lower temps that will allow me to push it further, that's the theory behind it correct ? Is there a lower limit to this ?

Yep that's what I've been trying to do, just didn't know i had to set it to manual as Mr. Scott said. Corrected :)

If I keep lowering the multiplier I will supposedly get lower temps that will allow me to push it further, that's the theory behind it correct ? Is there a lower limit to this ?

Honestly, from my own testing and of course, YMMV, higher multiplier has resulted in using less Vcore meaning lower temps. My FX 6300 is below average for overclocking. I'm currently sitting at 1.65Vcore just to get 4.75Ghz 100% stable and WHEA free.

It only took 1.55 Vcore to be 100% stable and WHEA free at 4.6Ghz without touching the FSB. .1volts for 100Mhz faster with some FSB overclocking.... Not really worth it to most, but I push this chip very hard for daily overclocking. So for me, higher FSB does not equal lower temps.

So to answer your question: I don't know, that's what experimenting is for. Every chip behaves differently :)
That's the joy of overclocking!

If your goal of upping your FSB to lower multi is thinking you will get lower VCore and temps I think you will be disappointed in the end. you will still need X amount of volts for x clocks. At some point pushing your FSB will allow you to get a bit more clock easier then multi alone and maybe a bit, and I stress a bit less VCore it is hardly worth chasing that.

Hey it already made my system more stable and cooler with a tad more MHz, I'm happy already :) not expecting more because I'm too close to the temp limit was just hoping there was some more tips and tricks to put temps down a couple more degrees.

This one is rated for 9-10-9-27 2T 1866Mhz, that was why i left the DOCP on, it kept the XML with the timings but bumped the speed (or i thought it did, showed same settings). Im bumping down the RAM and HT/NB as i go along, trying to keep to what i had and know it will work while increasing CPU speed.

If you run into BSOD at all, lower NB frequency via multiplier. Running 2200mhz or 2400mhz yields little difference from daily clocks.

Typically FX characteristic for 5ghz is 1.5v give or take. If you encounter freezing or hangs, this low voltage is a good indicator. add more. For reference FX-9590 here P-states 4.7 - 5ghz at 1.5250v and requires pretty stout cooling.

In addition, adding CPU/NB voltage will increase on die IMC heat. Keeping memory and NB speeds in check will keep this heat to a minimum. Like to see 1.13750v CPU/NB for nice cool IMC temps while keeping memory at near rated speeds and NB around 2000-2200mhz. Hyper Transport voltage can be left on auto while 2600mhz or less, but may find stability at lower HT frequency such as 2000-2200mhz.

Cpu speed will matter most overall anything else much like GPU speed would for gaming. (So multiplier OC is typical)

I wish you lucks on your quest. most ambient coolers are good for about 5ghz, some people get lucky with low leakage chips and run under 1.5v while higher leakage chips remain stable with higher voltage.

Lower temps will ultimately lower your CPU v-core. Add chilling if you so dare, but might find the experience very grand as many benchmarking guys do. Running 5200mhz while keeping Cpu temps in the late 40c range is where it's at. Keep Core temps under 60c and you'll have a nice overclock on that cpu.

Some pictures of CPU-Z and Temps would be grand as well. People love eye candies ;)

Will post as soon as I find a sweet spot, so far only temp getting me slightly worried is the VRM's hitting 85c, I know the motherboard is "TUF" and can take a beating but haven't found anything that tells me their max. The Great Wall of 4.8ghz has been annoying me since I got this chip, ran 4.7ghz 1.425v (1.44v with LLC) at ~55c and it takes such a great leap to down it :(

Around 110c those VRMs will throttle. Just put some air flow on them. May help with socket temps too.

4.8G and up is where probably the biggest bumps are, better cooling will help here till then ....... I think you already have but if not get some fans blowing across your motherboard, especially your VRM and in behind. From this point find a place where your OC / MB likes its FSB then get your busses in order. There really is not much else you can do.

Back