• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Further Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

relics

Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forums trying to learn everything I can about overclocking. So far I've gotten to a stable 4.5 ghz @ 1.476v on a F6300. I'd like to push my system even harder but I'm currently at a loss for which settings to tinker with. I know I need to bump up my FSB, but I'm a bit confused about raising my CPU NB voltage as my BIOS only gives me an offset and never the actual number, also not too clear on whether it controls the CPU NB voltage or the northbridge voltage. Any pointers are appreciated!

My system specs are:

Processor: FX-6300
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970-Gaming AM3+
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory: HyperX FURY 1866 2x8GB
OS Drive: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB SSD
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W power supply

cpzmain.png
cpspd.png
cpzmem.png
sensor1.png
Untitled.png

^ I feel I might be missing some options in my advanced voltage settings?

Bump your NB frequency up to 2400 to start. 2051Mhz is kinda slow..
CPU NB voltage helps when running higher NB frequencies like 2400. I set it to 1.35v and usually just leave it there.

NB voltage is useful for high FSB speeds. I always leave this set to 1.2v BUT I have fan blowing on it. You should too. (AMD FX has 2 NorthBridges, CPU/NB and NB. One is in the CPU and controller the memory controller and the other is in the motherboard and helps with FSB speeds over 300 really)

A fan blowing over the VRM area is a must!

For your RAM, I would leave it alone. Kingston RAM just doesnt play nice with AMD FX. :(

Remember CPU speed is #1, then comes NB frequency then RAM. So it's better to have a faster CPU speed than a faster NB speed and a lower CPU speed.
Temperatures should not exceed 62C package and 72C socket (TMPIN1 for you)

Vcore should be lower than 1.5V for daily clocks so you're right up there... Honestly I think you can try lowering it a bit. 1.47v seems a little high for 4.5Ghz. Run Prime95 blend for at least 2 hours to confirm stability.

Hi thanks for the response.
The screenshots are from my system on prime95 for a couple of hours, this is the most stable I can get my system at that voltage. I can't raise the cpu multiplier or lower the voltage without getting worker's failing in prime95, which is why I wanted to raise my FSB. Thing is my motherboard only has one option under the voltage settings for "NB Core", I'm not sure whether it's referring to the CPU or mobo's NB. Further it's an offset so I'm not able to figure out what the baseline values are. This is probably my biggest sticking point for more MHZ.

I'll try raising my NB frequency and report back.

I would experiment with a higher FSB speed. You are only using 205 mzh right now. Of course, you would need to lower the CPU, HT and CPU-NB multipliers to compensate for the frequency increase incurred by raising the FSB. Years ago overclockers discovered that the best overclocks were had, even with unlocked CPUs, with a combination of raising the multiplier and the FSB.

I agree! but in order for me to raise my fsb speed I need to figure out two things:
It's not clear whether the NB core controls CPUNB or NB, my BIOS is only giving me one option "NB core", which at best leaves one of these voltages unable to be changed.

No Voltage baseline The bios just gives me an offset. How am I supposed to know how much to offset NB core if there isn't any to be found?

Probably cpu/nb voltage.

Take note of all your voltages in Hwmonitor then bump up that NB Core voltage one notch and see if any voltages have changed.

Maybe that will give us some clues. I will try and dig up some info on it later tonight. Im mobile right now. Maybe your motherboard manual will say too. Check that first.

Back