• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future Folding Farm Hardware Info Thread (LGA2011)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NM-I2011 Mounting Kit

2011.jpg

FYI for any current Noctua owners....

Continuing Noctua's tradition of supplying customers with its premium-class SecuFirm2™ mountings free of charge, the NM-I2011 kit allows Noctua users to upgrade to Intel's LGA2011 socket for Core i7-39xx/38xx processors. The NM-I2011 set is backwards compatible with all Noctua retail coolers since 2005 and has been designed to combine outstanding reliability, optimal contact pressure and easy, straightforward installation. Bringing the trusted SecuFirm2™ quality to Intel's new LGA2011 platform, NM-I2011 is an enthusiast-grade mounting that meets the highest demands in safety, performance and ease-of-use.

Owners of Noctua CPU coolers can obtain the NM-I2011 Mounting-Kit free of charge via This Form. A proof of purchase (photo, scan or screenshot of the invoice) of both a Noctua CPU cooler and either a socket LGA2011 mainboard or socket LGA2011 CPU are required.

Source

Sapphire Shows Off its X79 Pure Black Motherboard

We originally posted about the Pure Black CI7X79N motherboard on June 1st.......Today we have some more info.

Sap.jpeg

Sap2.jpeg

Sap3.jpeg

Although known more for its AMD Radeon graphics cards, Sapphire always tried to make inroads to the motherboard industry. Not that there are any major hurdles in its way, given that it has a cash-rich OEM (PC Partner) pulling its strings. Come LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-E HEDT platform, and Sapphire is out for its slice yet again, with the Pure Black CI7X79N motherboard, of which we scored some early pictures.

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/sapphir...re-black-motherboard/13874.html#ixzz1cqSo84FL

Sap4.jpeg

Moving on to the business-end of this board (overclocking), we could find many nifty features, starting with a strong VRM, a UEFI firmware with at least a basic interface yet loaded with options, consolidated voltage measurement points covering key voltage domains, some jumper-based hard overclocking, phase LEDs that give you a visual measure of phase loading, and both POST LED numeric display and a fixed PC speaker - a nifty touch.

Expect the Sapphire Pure Black X79 to feature in the first wave of LGA2011 motherboards

Note to all motherboard manufacturers: voltage measurement points like above should be standard equippment on all higher end boards.......Most certainly all boards based on Intel's LGA2011 / X79 platform. :thup:

Please.

MSI teases X79 motherboard family

As Intel's Sandy Bridge-E processors draw nearer, companies are eagerly sending out snapshots of their matching X79 motherboards. After Asus and ASRock, we've now gotten choice pictures depicting no fewer than five X79 offerings from MSI. The shots show boards spanning the gamut from a diminutive microATX design to a tricked-out "Big Bang" model that has only PCI Express x16 expansion slots:

MSI.jpg

That behemoth also boasts 10 internal Serial ATA ports, some type of Creative X-Fi-branded integrated audio, SLI and CrossFire multi-GPU support (duh), and a total of eight DIMM slots. Since Sandy Bridge-E will support four memory channels, the board ought to let you stuff each channel with two DIMMs—a handy way to cram your next state-of-the-art desktop with 32GB of RAM or more.

The rest of the MSI X79 lineup includes four boards with varying port, slot, and heatsink arrangements, presumably with price points in decreasing order from left to right in the picture above.

MSI 2.jpg

Source

Cooler Master intros the LGA2011-supporting Hyper 412S CPU cooler

coolermasterhyper412s01.jpg

Cooler Master has today announced the Hyper 412S, its first CPU cooler to 'natively' support Intel's LGA2011 chips. This solution features a tower-shaped design and makes use of the patented Continuous Direct Contact technology that creates 'a virtual vapor chamber for maximum cooling potential'.

Source

EVGA starts selling LGA2011 mounting bracket for Superclock cooler

evgasuperclock01.jpg

In anticipation of next week's launch of the Sandy Bridge E platform, EVGA has made available an LGA2011 mounting bracket that enables the May-released Superclock cooler to be used with X79 motherboards.

More:
Here

Intel Sandy Bridge Extreme i7-3960X Processor Review

SB-E.jpeg

It has been about a month since our last CPU launch article and now it’s Intel’s turn. Today they are releasing Sandy Bridge-E, their new enthusiast line. We’ll be reviewing the flagship i7-3960X, so sit back, relax and enjoy the show!

Review by our own hokiealumnus

Get your read on Here

Last edited:
Well put my order in for a i7-3930k and a X79 MB. Processor is $600 and Asrock MB was $240. Processor was about what I predicted at initial launch, but unfortunately MB was about $40 more than I expected. Good thing RAM is still DIRT cheap. HD prices have skyrocketed, but I plan on using Ubuntu off of a USB thumbdrive. We'll see by this weekend how well it folds.

Last edited:
Be aware that it may take 16 cores to qualify for -bigadv sometime early next year. Even so the 3930k should be a prodigious folder.

Wow @ 16 cores, that's sadly beyond my budget capabilities as I still like to eat!:D Unless one of my machines blows up I will not be upgrading to 2011, at least not yet.;)

@tuigi69 Where did you find the CPU? I checked both newegg and ncix and neither has them showing. :confused: I hope the numbers come out nice.:) I don't upgrade unless there's a %30 increase in productivity over what I currently have, price is important too a 990 @ some $1K is just too much!

Newegg had them linked in morning email ad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...c=EMC-GD111411-_-index-_-Topbanner-_-19116492

Way outta my budget. . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116491&Tpk=3960x

Also is someone spots a rampage IV extreme in stock let me know, they went like hotcakes before I woke up. :(
Thanks for that guys, at least I know it exists now. I assume they haven't adjusted their menus yet to include the 2011 stuff. Search man!:D

EDIT: Found the 2011 stuff. Not bad at all, 'only' $630 CDN.:thup: It's strange though, the 990X is still $1.1K What's with that?

Last edited:
Thank you hoki for the folding benches!! Didn't even ask this time, its really useful as typically we have to wait for some folder to get the hardware to see any results at all. Now we can see just how beastly this is.

Thank you hoki for the folding benches!! Didn't even ask this time, its really useful as typically we have to wait for some folder to get the hardware to see any results at all. Now we can see just how beastly this is.

Happy to help. I thought of you and remembered you'd want that. Since it was for folding, that went right next to power consumption. :salute:

Sorry I didn't have time to get a run on bigadv, but it seems from the posts above you need 16 cores to run those in 2012 anyway. :shrug:

Happy to help. I thought of you and remembered you'd want that. Since it was for folding, that went right next to power consumption. :salute:

Sorry I didn't have time to get a run on bigadv, but it seems from the posts above you need 16 cores to run those in 2012 anyway. :shrug:

Yeah they are bumping the requirements up. The Pande group has been mishandling the points since they originally introduced the SMP client and the beta bonus associated with it. For the last 4 years they've needed to rework the point system but once again the continuing trend is to just fix the issue at hand, aka increase the requirement for bigadv instead of fixing the points for it. They already reduced the QRB once but the problem with the QRB as ChasR has pointed out is it's a exponential growth in points for a linear increase in hardware (core/efficiency).

But interesting results. 3x the ppd/watt of bulldozer. I know the initial $$ is more, but that still just shows how good the SB architecture is for folding.

If possible, would still appreciate seeing results of a -Bigadv work unit run on this platform. :popcorn:

I'll give it a whirl next time I have time, of which there is little right now. Hopefully this week. :thup:

Back