• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Announces Official Price-Cuts for Ryzen Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXJackBauer

Water Cooling Senior Member, #TEAMH20HNO
As the title states, AMD Announces Official Price-Cuts for Ryzen Processors.

Following its Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G socket AM4 APU announcement, AMD announced price cuts for its Ryzen family of processors, across the board. These are official price cuts, and not seasonal retailer discounts. The price cuts have been made in a bid to make its existing socket AM4 Ryzen processors more competitive against 8th generation Intel Core "Coffee Lake" processors.

Among the notable changes, are bringing the entire Ryzen 7-series lineup under the $350-mark, with the 1800X being priced at $349, the 1700X at $309, and the 1700 non-X at $299. These changes make the three competitive against the Core i7-8700K (which is scraping the $400-mark in many places), and the i7-8700 non-K (around $330). The Ryzen 5-series six-core parts also receive much-needed price-cuts to make them competitive against the Core i5 six-core SKUs, such as the i5-8600K and i5-8400. There are marginal changes in the Ryzen 3 series and Ryzen Threadripper series. All price cuts are tabled below.
NdcVugSeAmT4SiEP.jpg

Source

Will be interesting to see if that translates into a meaningful difference at street level. My reasoning for saying that is there have been significant discounts across the Ryzen range for a while.

I'm wondering if the price breaks are to clear out old stock in preparation for the refresh that's been mentioned for Q1 (I've heard beginning of Feb but I don't know if that's accurate...)

I've decided to get a 1600X, most likely this week, so I can get my system up and running prior to the refresh since it should be easier to just do a BIOS Update, power off, swap CPUs, then boot back up, but I do have a question...

How long can you run Win 10 for without activation?

Haven't tried, but think unactivated Win10 runs indefinitely within its cosmetic limitations.

Haven't tried, but think unactivated Win10 runs indefinitely within its cosmetic limitations.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning to get the System Builders version and I'd rather not activate it until I replace the 1600X with a new CPU from the Ryzen Refresh. If I can run it for a month or two before activation I should be good to go.

If you're worried about having to reactivate due to hardware changes, I've not had to do it from a CPU change. Think it is mostly tied to something in the mobo.

Decided to turn the volume all the way up to 10 on my case purchase, then decided just to go to 11.

WP200.jpg

If you're worried about having to reactivate due to hardware changes, I've not had to do it from a CPU change. Think it is mostly tied to something in the mobo.

It's no, I changed 3 mobos on 1 activation. Just install windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10 on the activated windows 7. Still possible iirc through Microsoft website.

Decided to turn the volume all the way up to 10 on my case purchase, then decided just to go to 11.

View attachment 195835

Wow nice case and event say April ish with a new x470 chipset. But they confirmed bios will let you run ryzen+ . But my self I would want the new chipset maybe they fixed the memory issues. Saw one vid where 4000+ was on spec sheet (with no guarantee of hitting it )

It's no, I changed 3 mobos on 1 activation. Just install windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10 on the activated windows 7. Still possible iirc through Microsoft website.

Can also call MS and if you get automatic activation system then it will pass ~5 times. After that can talk to MS rep and tell that motherboard died and on new one you get that weird info about activation, they will unlock your key.

Windows keys are signed to motherboard, nothing else.
There is no time limit on unactivated Windows. However some features are locked ( the most important, can't change wallpaper ) and not all updates are downloading.

There is no time limit on unactivated Windows. However some features are locked ( the most important, can't change wallpaper ) and not all updates are downloading.

If you load the image into the Photos app, the "set as wallpaper" command in that still works. What eventually forces me to activate even test systems is not being able to change some taskbar related stuff.

Back