• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Ryzen 2600 Benchmark Spotted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think "decent" depends on what you want from a mobo. Intel certainly wasn't trying to capture the OC gaming RGB 1337 crowd.
Exactly. They were mostly standard fare motherboards. I think they tried to bring an enthusiast level board or two to the table, and no idea about server boards (a bit out of scope here...I can't imagine server boards were in your head Alaric when that was mentioned, lol).

Last edited:
Intel doesn't make server boards.... HP and Dell make the server boards.

~Oh man I just got that email from Intel with all the designs we need for making their new hardware, step to step instructions included~!

Compare Intel 2600WF with any of those companies 1U/2U 2S Server Chassis (for Skylake) and see if you can spot the differences. My last post was sarcastic, but basically most of these companies do drop in schematics/layout for Intel server. The few changes are for unique only to the company aspects that mostly deal with customer facing apps/info.

I think "decent" depends on what you want from a mobo. Intel certainly wasn't trying to capture the OC gaming RGB 1337 crowd.

Yeah, I didn't think they made bell and whistle boards, but thought they made solid, reliable boards. Either way it seems I missed the boat somewhere. :eek:

"The magazine states that while these CPUs are tested on a A320 motherboard, which is the entry level chipset, an upgrade from X370 to X470 doesn’t deliver any substantial performance lift which shouldn’t affect performance too much."

A grammatically challenged sentence but one wonders if that will change after the X470 boards have been out for a bit and bios updates come along. An insert in that article suggests the new Ryzens will cope more consistently with high speed RAM and if that turns out to be true that is a significant improvement.

View attachment 197597View attachment 197597

Attachments

• X470.JPG
    X470.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 60
"The magazine states that while these CPUs are tested on a A320 motherboard, which is the entry level chipset, an upgrade from X370 to X470 doesn’t deliver any substantial performance lift which shouldn’t affect performance too much

View attachment 197597View attachment 197597

I also thought that sentence was a little weird when all I have read from the AMD released information is that the new chipset boards will allow the speed boost to boost a little higher than on the old chipset. Like you say, maybe it’s a bios issue and that will change. Or maybe they never really tested it. Just have to see what other reviews bring. I would also have liked to see what the overclocking potential was.

The overclock potential is probably less than the first Ryzens, percentage wise. I would expect it to be mostly used up for stock speeds. Intel has the same issue. There seems to be a wall between 4 GHz and 5 GHz, depending on the series and manufacturer. I could be wrong, but from what we've seen so far I'd be surprised to see 4.5 GHz on all cores as a commonly achievable OC. I would base my purchase decision on what Ryzen does out of the box. Unless/until something big changes I think the days of big overclocks are coming to an end. A bummer for the hobbyist, but it speaks to how much performance the manufacturers are giving the masses with no extra effort required.

I can't see special changes in OC on ambient temps for longer and it won't change anytime soon. Intel was also overclocking better or worse depends on series ( Haswell-E vs Broadwell-E can be one example ). There were chips that could make 4.5-4.7GHz in the past and will be in the future. Ryzen is exception ( so far ) just because it wasn't designed to run at 4GHz+. It wasn't even designed to run at 3.5GHz. This is what no one is considering while comparing current gen of processors. Intel was designing their desktop series to run at 4GHz+, AMD not. AMD beats Intel in efficiency ... at 2-3GHz.
What we see now is the same process designed for lower clocks which is improved to be able to reach higher frequencies.

So now we see that AMD can't run at high clocks while Intel can run higher and has issues to keep reasonable temps under full load. For enthusiasts and overclockers Intel seems better option. For gamers and professional users, price/performance of AMD is better. Just professional users rather to spend more on Intel than AMD.

I just ordered TR because of cumulated promo prices, CPU price drop and some more ... in total about 40% lower price than 2 weeks ago in local stores. Not sure if it's good idea but barely any of my ideas regarding new hardware is good.

Last edited:
Given they can single core turbo for 4.3, I'm hopeful at a minimum to OC all cores to that, and a bit more. 8 cores at 4.3+ is going to do well in the likes of Cinebench. How much more, I don't know, but I want to find out :)

Given they can single core turbo for 4.3, I'm hopeful at a minimum to OC all cores to that, and a bit more. 8 cores at 4.3+ is going to do well in the likes of Cinebench. How much more, I don't know, but I want to find out :)

I think you're spot on with that.. When they go to Ryzen 2 or 2+ or whatever the hell they call it, 4.5 GHz is a maybe. If AMD keeps up with the multi thread improvements and tops out an overclockable 4.5 GHz on all cores by 2020, they'll have a little monster on their hands. Ryzen is already a force to be reckoned with, and barring some unforeseen (and affordable) breakthrough by Intel, will be my chip of choice for my next build.

In cheaper series, AMD has better spot as Intel still doesn't have any cheaper chipsets for 8 series processors. Also Intel lower series processors for expensive chipsets have no point like KL-X. They will release something cheaper for 8 gen CPUs in next month but it still will be only as expensive as current AMD/APU.
For me funny is how market reacts on AMD and Intel. Gamers/enthusiasts are excited when 4GHz AMD is on the market ... the same kind of users complain when Intel can't make 5GHz. All of them don't need more than 4GHz to play games.

The h series boards will be out shortly... next week?

I also imagine locked lower end skus to come out soon after.

Yes, I heard that should be available in April. I guess that sales of i3-8100 may go up as till now Ryzen 1200 or 2200G was in about the same price ( a bit cheaper ) while there was quite big difference in motherboard prices.

I can't think of a single reason to build an i3 rig right now. Just a quick flip through newegg shows I can get a mobo and R3 for $150. Substitute a R5 for a total of $200. And I can upgrade the AMD till 2020. God only knows how many Intel sockets will have come and gone by then.

I can't think of a single reason to build an i3 rig right now.

My niche, but i3-8100 doing FMA3 workloads will be faster than any stock Ryzen CPU except possibly the 1800X, depending on what the all core turbo of that is. Personally on the red side, I don't see a point in buying anything less than an 8 core Ryzen if you care at all about performance. You don't save much going to 6 cores, and if you're budget strapped to a quad that's a different set of problems. Buying the 1600 is a mistake of mine, and I can't wait to replace it with a 2700X. I don't expect to get much from selling the 1600 as it will be worthless at that point.

I was looking at the upgrade path in most scenarios. A $50 mobo will carry the AM4 until 2020. The Intel might, maybe, but probably not. I should have said I can't think of a single reason for me to build an i3 rig.

Back