• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Future proof CPU for gaming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Uhh... while using the two pci-e 3.0 lanes they only can reach 8x speed not the 16x D: but since it's 3.0 it should reach the 2.0 16x speed?

its a code that can be entered on a later purchase and used like cash. i used a $100 gift card to pay for an entire order once. so no limitations.

Uhh... while using the two pci-e 3.0 lanes they only can reach 8x speed not the 16x D: but since it's 3.0 it should reach the 2.0 16x speed?

Current video cards are like the speed of PCIe 1.0 x16=PCIe 2.0 x8=PCIe 3.0x4. A 3.0 x8 slot is plenty of bandwidth for a good bit amount of time, lol. If you want dual x16, you have to get a really expensive motherboard.

I'll order the 7850 right now I think, At least if I don't get a new PC because I always change my mind xD I'll have a successor to my 5770 although the integrated graphics will probably stay active just like before I flashed my BIOS to support the 5770 xD

Note that your CPU might actually bottleneck the 7850, lol. But it's a solid upgrade to the 5770.

Question, are you going to college this fall or next fall? If it's next fall...just wait until then. The new GPU might be able to hold you over...and you can always take it with you and put the 5770 back in this.

Either way, enjoy your purchase. :thup:

I'm going this august. Because in quebec there's no college but the CEGEP and then after there is university.

So with the monitor the total comes to a whopping 1000$ or so. That's costly but at least I won't have to change for a good while. Now i need to make up my mind since I don't like spending cash hahaha :p

I don't know if this has been covered, but the 990FX chipset by AMD does allow dual x16 (not dual x8's) cards in SLI/crossfirex. Of course you would have to use an AMD processor to be able to get this. You can do 4 Radeons at x8 each in the board I have. Lotsa haters of AMD out here, though, but I have MSI 990FXA-GD80. Aside from a bit limited on OC flexibility (i got my FX-8120 to 4.2 from 3.1, but is stable at about 3.9, I find) it is a very capable board with lotsa connectivity.

Back